1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh all knowing beeb...help needed with selling a metric f*ck ton of jewelry

Discussion in 'General' started by jimmyboost, Aug 10, 2022.

1. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

My mother passed away last year and we are down to handling the last of her estate. In the late 90's/early 00's, my mother was a sales rep for Premier Designs Jewelry (fashion jewelry company). I have all of her sales and display jewelry with her display and transport cases and I would like to get rid it. I am estimating that I have 300-500 pieces of jewelry, so I really want to batch sell it. My current plan is to throw it on eBay and Facebook marketplace to sell (or trade for a broken down motorcycle :D). I'm happy to donate it if there isn't a viable sales route, but wanted to ask the beeb for recommendations. Whaddiyagot?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Try Quicktoy

3. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The wife sells her stuff on Poshmark. If you want it to move at all you need appraisals for all of it. I've never seen my wife so shocked at what she knows her grandmother spent on some things versus what it appraise for in resale. Jewelry is the second scummiest market on the planet. Shitty car dealerships don't even come close and they aren't quite as bad as the Sunglasses racket.

sdg likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Post photos and descriptions for openers.

6. jimmyboost

Thanks, I'll check that out. My mother had lots of actual fine jewelry, but that is staying in the family. The company she sold for produced fashion jewelry and none of it is worth being appraised. Items would originally sell for $30ish to $120 range and now go for ~$5-$30 on eBay, which makes it not worth the time to list individually.

I've also considered buying an old wooden chest and burying it all on the beach near my house where the retirees go metal-detectoring...:D

7. jimmyboost

8. jimmyboost

[​IMG]

The jewelry is essentially nicer fashion jewelry, not fine jewelry. Either stainless or plated and artificial stones. It is all new and most of it has tags and boxes. Items would originally sell for $30ish to $120 range and now go for ~$5-$30 on eBay. I am already donating my Mom's fashion jewelry (two book boxes full) and will end up donating this if there is nowhere to sell it, but wanted to at least try since it is all new with tags.

9. jimmyboost

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Do batches of 10 items or 20 items and put each one on ebay starting at $5 + shipping.
    500 pieces = 25 batches of 20 items.

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Put it all in a box, put the box out on the corner with a “Free” sign on it. It will be gone in a couple hours.

Banditracer likes this.
  12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Donate to a women's shelter where they help battered women get back into the workforce and help with interview training and wardrobe?

Seems like I've heard of some such organization in the Dallas area, maybe there's one near you?

Found it: https://www.genesisshelter.org/

Jed, Spooner, Shenanigans and 8 others like this.
  13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Take it to an online auction service near you and let them deal with it. They just send you a check. I use hi-bid auctions and they are all over the country. It is super easy and gets rid of stuff I don't need or want.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Even better.
    Bury it in some sketch-ass mountains and then tell everyone its valuable and give stupid vague hints on where it is. See how many idtios die try to find it.

Razr likes this.
  15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

chobes likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I would gladly help make you whole if you went this route.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Fierce! :up:

easily the post of the day.

18. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Not sure if it’s national or not, but when my mom passed away, we donated a lot of her fashion jewelry to Women’s Another Chance. They specialize in helping women from abusive relationships get back on their feet, help them enter/re-enter the workforce, etc. I’m sure there’s something similar near you. It feels good to help others.

Jed, Shenanigans and rice r0cket like this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Find yourself a reputable jeweler in your area. My mom passed last year and had quite the load. She had a jeweler that she worked with for years. She left half to me, half to my brother. We're talking some high dollar stuff, but also cases of gold chains etc. We kept all the good stuff, but my wife went to moms jeweler last month to have him appraise the gold, and we got $14K out of...enough to pay a decent chunk of my daughters upcoming wedding. You may be surprised at what you have.

20. jimmyboost

Great recommendation on the battered women's shelter! I will look into it. My Mom's preferred donation charity was KARM in Tennessee, so we have taken everything there so far (11 cargo vans full and more to go!!!). I have two book boxes full of her personal fashion jewelry (she really liked jewelry!) that I was planning on taking there, but the women's shelter seems like a much better way to ensure that it helps people out. Very much appreciate all the recommendations!

YamahaRick likes this.