1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washing Machine

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, I know there is already a thread. No I do not care.

Ours is starting to leak, I don't have the time or knees to figure out where and fix it so a new one is my best bet. Boss wants front loading, relatively large capacity, doesn't need a buhzillion fancy settings.

What says the beeb?

dtalbott likes this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

When my mom redid her kitchen and laundry utility room last year she got Speed Queen Washer and Dryer.

My understanding is it’s commercial grade and the warranty is one of the best available.

Being 81 , she likes the lack of gizmos etc and they have been bullet proof so far.

jasonhise likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We have a Samsung front load and it’s been dead nuts reliable. Have to clean it once every few years but who gives a shit. Takes maybe 20 minutes.

we’d buy another but would buy the pedestals to bring the load hole up.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You know things have gotten bad when you get to call something "bulletproof" after a year of ownership.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    dtalbott likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Since it's the beeb, I'll contradict what you're looking for. I've done my own laundry since high school. I just don't like the way my wife does it. We had a fancy high dollar front load and it was crap...I think they're all crap. Why bend over to do your laundry when you don't have to. Combine that with bad gaskets and that smell that never seems to go away.

Bought this top load GE 10 years ago and it's the bomb. https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-4-5-cu-...zlbHqjND2jYgZ_EIC7BoCBCUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

tl1098, SuddenBraking and Greg ZX6R like this.
  6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Dont overlook electrolux.

7. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

No one wants to take care of or properly use their machines, I watch people cram their front loaders to the max with towles and wonder why the berings go. They never clean the trap or the tub, never wipe out the gaskets.

BigBird and rd400racer like this.
  8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

We have a Kenmore Elite front loader, mounted on the pedestal drawer. It has lasted 8 years so far and shows no signs of problems. Having said that I still feel like I'd probably not buy another one of this model for a couple of nit picky reasons.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you get the optional platforms that lift the front loaders up 12 to 16 inches, it will save your back a lot of wear and tear. The seals on the front loaders can be an issue, but our Samsung has worked flawlessly for 8 years. The blonde woman does kitchen/bath/laundry remodels. There IS a difference between the big box models and those from a Gin Ewe Wine appliance store. Lead time can be extensive on the units with digital controls because of the chips. I don't know about leads on the more simple machines.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

It's the water pump. Easy fix and low cost. I've done it Mongo, so can you. Just lift the washing machine on a bench.

[​IMG]

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Pods, liquid or granular?

12. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I went with Samsung and they've been great.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We used granular when we had top load, liquid on the front load. Pods have the highest cost per load.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Definitely liquid.

The granular leaves you with scratchy throat, and though the pods have cool colors, you have to eat it all at once.

The liquid you can just mix with your free-range Evian and enjoy wherever.

Seriously, though, to OP: SpeedQueen top loader /thread

cpettit and G 97 like this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Perhaps you missed "the boss wants" in the OP. Fail.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We're trying to help him avoid an epic mistake:D

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sure you are.

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sometimes you have to lead the boss to where they don't yet know that they want to go.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

The only issue with front mounts is the rubber gasket can retain a small amount of water and then the water can become moldy and smelly. With this being said, I have an Amana front load and have never had this issue. From time to time when doing a load of towels I’ll simply spry some bleach on gasket and wipe. I’ve never had any issues and I would never go back to a top load.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

And sometimes the boss responds by firing you. LOL