1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on current sport tourers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jul 20, 2022.

1. F3racer1

F3racer1 Well-Known Member

Ive never owned any of the bikes listed, however Ive had a VFR800, VFR1200, and Triumph Trophy SE. All are pretty good bikes. The trophy had cruise and electronic suspension. The VFR1200 was way more sport than tour. If I had the money I would probably buy an H2 SX SE+.
    But I have to say that my 2020 Aprilia Tuono Factory is a really good "sport tourer". The only complaint on that bike is the seat. Its hard. I have thrown saddlebags and a dry bag on it and ridden for hours. Electronic suspension, cruise control, TC, ABS, all the electronics you could ever have. Except a damn fuel gauge. The 2021+ Tuono is a better tourer as you can get a taller screen and factory bags from Aprilia.

If I had to choose from your list I would probably choose the Multi V4.

ducnut likes this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

VFR 1200 was absolutely awesome. It sold very poorly over here because it was considered a Supersport bike, which it wasn't really. I'd really love to have one. I think Honda made an adventure-type bike with that engine also : The VFR 1200 Crosstourer. I've never seen one of those on the streets.

F3racer1 and ducnut like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I followed a dude on a VFR12, in NC. It was amazing to see him hustle such a pig through the mountains. Since then, he’s done AK-20’s, had the 8983 reworked for him, new pads, and tires. He said the bike has been transformed. Should be even harder to keep up with him, next time I ride with him.

The VFR12X was not brought to the states; only the VFR8X.

cha0s#242 and F3racer1 like this.
  4. F3racer1

The 12x was brought here to the states but sold even worse than the F. My Uncle has one. There have been a few pop up on Cycle Trader too.
    Stock my 12F made 155 whp. I did the Don Ghul flash, Akrapovic exhaust, and it made 171. Then I sent off my forks to Jamie Daugherty and put an Ohlins rear shock on it. It as amazing. I wish I still had it. I did a couple track days on it too.

Attached Files:

Jed and cha0s#242 like this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My mistake; I got that backwards. I meant the VFR8X wasn’t brought to the states.

I sat on a VFR12X, but, it was just so heavy, big, and looked like a single piece of plastic. Ugh!

The VFR8X is what so many 800 owners claim they want. But, with Honda’s pricing strategies, I can’t see them selling, either.

F3racer1 likes this.
  6. F3racer1

Yeah it doesnt help that the x was 20hp down on the F.

ducnut likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm biased, but can't believe the XR's not getting more love. I've got a 2016 with tune, full akra, yada yada, and this thing hauls the fucking mail. Got my rearsets delivered today and about to install them...........yeah, it buzzes a bit and makes the mirrors are fairly useless at 5K RPMs, but it's a motorcycle. Handles great for its size, and cracking open that throttle always brings a smile.

Attached Files:

Jed likes this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Purty. What year? Any particular bad years for the feejers.?

Zoomie likes this.
  9. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1604752482259.jpg My sport tourer.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

it's an '07. No "bad" years really... some minor upgrades in 06 (gen 2) and again in '13 (gen 3). I'd have preferred blue, but the red is nice.

11. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put the GT in the 'sport' touring segment. The Super Adventure S if you're going KTM is a much better option. My GT is more of a 'hyper' tourer between the SDR and XR/Multi V4 from a performance standpoint. Screenshot_20220722-180811_Instagram.jpg

F3racer1 likes this.
  12. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 R1200RT, I love it! It is great for commuting, two-up, and touring. Living in Vermont the heated seat is nice. I have never had it on the track and don't think I ever will but I assume the RS would be better for that. I have never ridden an RS but I am sure it is nice, probably can't go wrong with either of them.
    Wera Pic BMW.JPG

13. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

IMG_3894.jpg

20'NK1 I picked up in March of this year. PO had put just 6k miles on it. He also had installed a Puig screen, angled valve stems and Kaw comfort seat and heated grips. I've racked up over 6K miles since the purchases and can say the bike is great at munching up miles and great in the mountains.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  14. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I have the ES version, I love it. Its awesome for touring when you get to some state with crappy roads.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Have you ever sat on a Hayabusa? Busa with hard bags is a damn comfy machine that will eat up some miles.

16. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I had an 06 Sprint ST that I really liked, but it had too many nagging issues and was a bit of a problem child. Would enjoy another if I could find a well sorted one, and, well, didn't live in an oven.. LOL!!! sprint.jpg

ducnut, stk0308 and Brad like this.
  17. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Young guy that helps us out a few days a week just bought one exactly like that with 6600 miles for $3900! I couldn't believe it. The regulator did shit the bed 150 miles after he got it though. May be on to something!

18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Could have also been the silly high price tag, the disappointing weight, and less than 5 gallon fuel tank on what was supposed to travel.

ducnut likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The correct answer is always Hypermotard

Jed and Steeltoe like this.
  20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I beat the hell out of an '08 model for 80+k miles. They've never had much value in the used market, but they're pretty good horses. And CHEAP to insure! Yeah, they put the regulator in a bad place early in that generation Sprint ST. Fortunately there's a Triumph cabling part that can be used to convert to a MOSFET regulator. It's supposed to be for the 1050 Speed Triple, but works just fine for the Sprint ST. Ask me how I know? lol

ducnut likes this.