1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on current sport tourers

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

After the initial purchase who cares? Unless you don't want to do the super basic maint. you shouldn't ever NEED the dealer to touch your Japanese made bike again. Euro bikes...YMMV

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

3 recalls on my 2018 H2 SX SE since purchased new in that model year. A centerstand fixture that was prone to failing. A tune reflash for stalling issues(that I didn't have). And under greased rear axle bearings causing failures and locked up rear wheels. Yup, totally reliable Japanese bikes. More recalls than my previous 3 Triumphs since 2008.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Over here, they only sell the GT version and it is much more expensive ($18k) But you do get a lot for the money. I didn't get to try the new semi-active KYB suspension though. It's probably loads better than the basic model, but not as good as proper aftermarket stuff. I have an Elka shock and Andreanni cartridges in my 2015.

Once a Wanker.., ducnut and stk0308 like this.
  4. Tristan

Ok, a supercharged flagship product might just have a few more issues than the rest of the lineup... Glad your Triumph experience was better than mine.

5. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

So was that FJ1300 a Euro model or something ?

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

This thread is useless without pictures

Boman Forklift and Sabre699 like this.
  7. Yama-saurus

BTR.jpg

GM GIXXER and Banditracer like this.
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

No interest in the Pan American? Only had a chance to do a demo loop on one but was pretty impressed.

9. Tristan

10. Tristan

Is the NT1100 coming to USA? Looks great to me.

11. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Got me, FJR1300ES.:bow:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  12. Yama-saurus

Yup, as with most brands, the R makes a difference... and hopefully without the ES part.... eeekkkk. Yamaha Kennesaw pal always told me there are 3 parties when an ES sold... Yam Corp had a party, the dealer had a party, then the buyer had a party when he sold it.... LOL

Now my 2013 FLR1300 , NON ES of course, that's getting ready to click 100k miles, ( insert best "up north accent" here ) it's a keepa !!!

13. stk0308

Friend of mine has been enjoying his, overall. He fought with a fluffy off throttle issue for a while. Took some re-tuning to get right. And I think he did some suspension upgrading because it was due to be refreshed from use. Overall, he's been beating the heck out of it, and it keeps on serving the fun.

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If I were buying right now I'd find a KTM Superduke GT or a new BMW RS.

15. stk0308

Wow! The MaxiDeauville, lol Not sure about those side bags. But, they seemed to have started with a solid platform. I did see a couple blurbs that claim it's coming to the US

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

17. Tristan

It's prettier from the rear...which is all you'd be seeing on a ride with me

Boman Forklift and SuddenBraking like this.
  18. Tristan

Sport touring is dead.

All this talk made me go buy this:
    [​IMG]

The exhaust, seats, AK20's, Penske, PC etc. cost about what I paid for the whole thing. And the guy is delivering it to me from 430+ miles away. Suck it $25K ADV bikes with 6 supercomputers!

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I love the FJR. Older units can be bought dirt cheap over here. Of course, they're pretty much bullet proof.

20. Tristan

Yep, the guy that bought my old '03 was replacing one with over 300K miles on it. The one above has 52K, might just be broken in.