School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That's a great story... and to be fair, it's squeaking a scoch higher than the overall market YTD.

[​IMG]

HOWEVER COMMA

[​IMG]

^^^This is abysmal.

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering.

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

1 month with the structured note and so far so good. Indices down yet pulled in 9+%.
    Bought another one this month. 9.6% return and 2.5yr maturity. 30% downside protection.
    Chatter about recession does concern me but it's nice to have a good chunk of protection in place.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

And I have done absolutely nothing regarding this. Good on you for making it happen!!!! That’s great!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. GordonWood#90

GordonWood#90 New Member

Anyone here selling covered calls or cash secured puts? asking for a friend.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Keep going on this for a few years and you'll be able to afford my RZ500 :D

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I must've missed this... what are you referring to?

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

If all goes well I'll start a moto touring business. Don't fret -I'd be touring less desirable areas. Could probably do the Alberta oil sands in 2 days. Maybe rent a ferry and explore the floating plastic island in the North Pacific. I hear Chernoble is warm this time of halflife.

Thrak,
    There's still risk involved, and I've only dabbled w/ these for a month or so but structured notes are items sold by banks. They're market based and the general gist is they offer varying monthly/periodic returns, even if the markets are down....to a point. The gains are limited and these notes have a lifespan.
    Ex.
    One note I bought has a 2.5yr term, offers 9% return with a downside protection of 30%.
    So for those 2.5 years, I'll generate 9% interest providing the market doesn't drop more than 30%. (This note happens to be based on the Russell, Nasdaq and S&P.
    Should the market dip 31%, I won't generate any interest for that month. Should the market be down 31% at the end of the notes term in 2.5 years, I lose that much of my investment. Should the market be down 29% at the end of the notes term, I receive 100% of my initial investment back as if the market remained flat those 2.5 years.
    Should the market rise steeply, I'm still capped at that 9%.

This is as risky as I get within the investing world. The Russell is already down 7% from when I bought in so I'm pooping a little. Another 23% drop and I'll have less to say about structured notes. I don't pretend to know the future but the advisor has a sweet Alfa and I'm a sucker for black wheels.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

10. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Inflation 9.1%... stocks about to go dooooooown.

11. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Of course, it's truly WAY above 9.1%.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, double it.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Burn Baby Burn!

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Federal Reserve Notes are good kindling

17. Boman Forklift

I was diggin all this until that line. Any advisor that has an Alfa is more suspect than me buying a lotus or thinking it was a good idea to spend money road racing. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Isn't that the truth. My cost on new forklifts is up 40%.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I was in the grocery store yesterday buying my $1.99 Only tortilla chips. They're $2.29 Only now. I walked by the bacon display and saw that no-name bacon is $11.99 for a small package. Used to be $4.99 not too long ago. Crazy stuff going on these days. Good thing old POS Africa Twins haven't been affected!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

@motion , you got HGEN in your portfolio? Just curious.