1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA West 2022 Cancelled

Discussion in 'Announcements/Information' started by Mongo, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 7/11/2022

For Further Information: (770)720-5010

TOUGH TIMES RESULT IN TOUGH DECISIONS

Due to low participation at WERA West events the past few years and with the costs of racing and travel getting higher this season we have had to make a very hard decision and have decided to cancel the three remaining WERA West events for this season. Those events were scheduled for 8/25 at Autoclub Speedway; 9/17-18 at Las Vegas Classic Course and 11/12-13 at Willow Springs. We want to thank all the racers who made the effort to support us and to all the wonderful Officials who helped make the WERA West events run smoothly each and every time. It is too soon to look ahead but we will always do our best to give our racers good, safe and smoothly run events.

WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was founded in 1973 and remains the foremost place to develop talent in the sport of motorcycle roadracing. The legacy of Pro Riders on a National and World level is legendary. All events are run by WERA Motorcycle Roadracing with a co-sanction by the AMA and they go coast to coast offering entry level racing with the WERA Sportsman Series as well as a Pro-Am Series which is the Pirelli/WERA National Challenge Series. WERA also offers Vintage Racing and hosts the Concours de ’Competition and Concours d’ Elegance in July at Barber Motorsports Park. Endurance Racing is also on the menu with our partner N2 and runs 4-5 events a year with a Big Bike Endurance and an Ultralightweight Endurance. WERA Motorcycle Roadracing was voted the 2017 AMA Track Organizer of the year.

For more information on WERA Motorcycle Roadracing please check out our web site at wera.com.

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

:(

Least we will always have our Vegas / Willow memories.

3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Bummer. AHRMA has done the same with there Ridge round. Sorry to hear about this.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah it sucks, between losing the Lucas sponsorship, what little pie there was being divided up by people who don't need to make money on racing and the east coast rounds dropping in numbers we just can't do it right now. Hopefully in the future we'll be back.

5. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Damn. I hope you can come back here next year.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Us too but that'll depend on the economy and some other factors. I expect it'll be a couple of years before we could justify the gamble/cost again.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Sucks it is a tough environment for business right now. Hope this makes you stronger to weather the future/current recession and come out the other side stronger.

8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Sorry to hear the news.
    Hoping to see you again “out west”

9. drop

drop Well-Known Member

What does the comment, divided up by people who don't need to make money?

You talking about the new race series over there that's having 30+ bikes per grid?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's one of the groups yes. It's easy to do if you don't have to make a profit at events going to tracks others can't afford and keeping prices low and offering purses. All looks great to start with and does indeed attract riders - but it doesn't pay the bills. Eventually the people fronting the money want a profit and realize that the initial way of doing things doesn't work, then they get more like the rest of us have to do it or they just stop paying and shit it down. This isn't remotely the first time it's happened nor will it be the last. It's also easy to attract people if you own the track and don't have all the same costs as an org renting the tracks do.

It's fine, I'm sure you'll tell me how wrong I am and how they're kicking ass and doing it right and on and on. Let's talk in 3 or so years. Or we can discuss Fastrax, or GLRRA, or even WSMC and such...

11. drop

drop Well-Known Member

No I'm with you. I just don't understand how you say "they need to make money." Are you saying they are millionaires and money isn't an object?

12. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Business is war. They lose money, squeeze their competition out of the market ie WERA or should we say ERA.

Then they up the price.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some of them yes. Some are making enough money on other businesses they don't need to make money on racing right away. It varies but none I know of are dependent on racing to pay their bills, even the racing bills.

14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

You forgot to mention Earl Smith and American Road Racing Association.

One of the racers in accident that was the catalyst for the discovery of no insurance, is an acquaintance ...

https://california-company.com/co/american-road-racing-association-inc

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator