1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Earle: Anyone a fan?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Add Marty Stuart and Lucinda Williams to this list of songwriters / artists I've been listening to for over 20 years now. Saw Steve 20 years ago, before I learned much about his personal life and political crap. Loved Justin, and hated hearing of his passing. Always regretted that I never got to see Guy before he passed away.

Loretta Lynn and Willie Nelson still writing some decent songs. Marty and Rodney have recent releases. Listen to Holly Williams, if you never have, also.
    I'll be adding some of my favorite 'other' musicians, as I think of, and listen to my favorite internet radio station that plays all of these artists, and more.

https://backlandradio.com/listen-live/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    stk0308 and kirk erlinger like this.
  2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Marty Stuart! Yes! He’s a great talent.

Have any of you guys seen “The History of Country Music” on PBS that was on a while ago? It was awesome. Each episode focused on a particular decade. I particularly like the three episodes on the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Marty Stuart is featured in a number of episodes.

Yzasserina and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Ken Burns PBS "Country Music;" PBS "Music Row: Nashville's Most Famous Neighborhood;" Netflix or Amazon Prime's "Muscle Shoals," and many other PBS shows about Country Music stars and Nashville have some fantastic stories about the music I love, and what's gone on to make it. Too many to remember them all now.

4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

So does Todd Snider...

Jed, Once a Wanker.. and auminer like this.
  5. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

I really liked the album he made with the Del McCoury Band.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

His character Harley on the HBO show Treme was pretty good too, all kinds of great music in that show.

stk0308 and Past Glory like this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Damn, I gotta find guy that on my ipod. :beer:

E Reed and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If you like Snider check out his band Hard Working Americans as well...

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Todd Snider is a pretty entertaining storyteller too.

Jason Isbell (solo and driveby truckers), is a great one
    Chris Stapleton (Solo, steeldrivers, jompson brothers)
    Sturgell Simpson
    Colter wall
    tyler childers
    etc. There's a quite few more on youtube.

Can't forget John Prine too.

10. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I will throw in Ray Wylie Hubbard and Hayes Carl too. Check out "She left me for Jesus" by Hayes Carl. Funny song.

I like Lyle Lovett and James McMurtry too

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If we're gonna dig deep into this well, put your shovel under Christian Kane, and have your mind blown when you realize that he is Elliott on Leverage.

sharkattack likes this.
  12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Since we're kind of going down the dusty country road, Add Charley Crockett and Vincent Neil Emerson to your spotify searches.

There's a compilation album of Steve Earle, Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt called Together at the Bluebird Cafe that's worth a listen.

sharkattack and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Slaid Cleaves.

But Lucinda kicks all them dude’s asses.

Once a Wanker.. and Norton 357 like this.
  14. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Big fan of Lucinda W!

I have been listening to Guy Clark, JJW, and Townes since the late '70s and it just never gets old. Lots of great artists mentioned in this thread

15. Dan Dubeau

You tube search Austin city limits, KEXP, NPR Tiny desk concerts, for some really good live shows. There are a few others too. I don't like highly polished studio albums. I love live small production concerts. If an artist can kick ass doing those they are the real deal.

Once a Wanker.. and Norton 357 like this.
  16. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

I saw John Prine at a small venue in Indy 4/5 years ago. This redheaded kid I had never heard of before opened the show. There he sat with his guitar on a stool looking at the floor singing his heart out. It was Tyler Childers. Amazing performer.

stk0308, Sprinky and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. Dan Dubeau

I'm jealous of everything you just wrote about.

18. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

At first I liked it, didn't love it. Steve Earle had an unmistakable menace in his voice when he sang it. Amy , not so much. Until the last verse. then I was like ... Damn!

19. sdg

sdg *

Love it. Thank you.

20. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

It was one of those moments in life that it didnt truly hit me until some time later how cool it was. I went on a Childers binge for a while after that. Currently been stuck on Lucero for a while now.

Once a Wanker.. and E Reed like this.