1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Bikes?????

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris Smith, Jun 9, 2022.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

FormulaE cars sound pretty gnarly and will prob be louder next year with dual motors. They even look like something out of StarWars.

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I wish I had a motocross track / facility closer to me but I suspect none would be approved or if approved would break even with whatever restrictions are put on them. I could however imagine an electric bike only track being approved though which would be cool. Imagine an Electric MX track with 120/230V outlets for every pit area and a beginner area for kids on Stacyc’s. It would be way more accessible and if I had to buy two battery packs to rotate them while riding and charging, that would be okay. I think there’s potential, but it would be different than a lot of people are used to. That’s all.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The business model I’ve thought of is akin to that. Take an old dump or otherwise vacant land in town (plenty in Detroit), get a D9 to move dirt and hire an electrician. We’d have 10+ Stark Vargs, KTM/Husky/Gas Gas electric mini MXers and a range of Stacycs for rent.

As the rental fleet owner, we’d adjust power output based on rider experience/trust. Maybe even create a rewards system that unlocks greater power with the more visits someone makes.

While noise wouldn’t be so much of a problem, I’m sure someone would find a way to complain about dust and the occasional blemish of bikes flying in the air. At least, if this were in an urban locale, hospitals with experienced staff wouldn’t ever be too far away. And in a particularly dense area, an ambulance isn’t ever far away.

backbone and Monsterdood like this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

After they can't complain about noise they'll complain about dust.

BigBird and cav115 like this.
  5. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Wonder how they stack up as far as lap times; also how moto e lap times compare to premier class times. Haven`t looked yet.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

they are many kilos heavier and ~10 seconds a lap slower than a moto 2 bike.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Resident Plarp

At the Stark intro test ride, one journalist rider was six seconds faster on the electric bike compared to the 450 he was riding during back-to-back sessions.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Like to see racers times, for a true comparison.

Wouldn`t surprise me if he was "juicing up" the article. :D

evakat likes this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I simply 'decided' I wanted to do my first Ragbrai this year, last August. Got out my 2009 Trek Madone 5.1 I'd paid $2,100 for (used) in'09. Bought a new '21 Trek gravel bike in November for $3,300. Sold my Madone for $600.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...kpoint/checkpoint-sl/checkpoint-sl-6/p/32559/

Ridden about 1,500 mi, in 10 1/2 months, with 14 weeks off bikes for rotator cuff surgery this year. Just rode BRAG last week.
    I have always enjoyed riding anything with 2 wheels, since about 4 years old. I'll stick with an ICE bike for fun; human powered bike for fitness.

That said, I am considering upgrading to a '22 Checkpoint SL7 e-tap, with electric shifting...

11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Requiring production exhausts would fix this issue, easily.

cav115 likes this.
  12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The front motor will be regen only.

13. Resident Plarp

Totally, I’m with you on that. We’ll know more when they’re out in the wild.

cav115 likes this.
  14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Yep. The current motors aren’t silent under braking. At a minimum, the new cars will be louder then. But I suspect they’ll be louder all the time.

15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

And would be interested how long a electric mx bike last when ridden in anger?
    Last 20 laps? Or like the minutes + 2 laps?

cav115 likes this.
  16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The Alta will do one typical moto and need recharging for the second. We had riders who installed charging g banks in their vans, but a 5k gennie with the fast charger was often enough to make the second moto at many tracks.

These were A riders.

evakat likes this.
  17. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Did the bike lose performance as the battery lost charge towards the end of the moto?
    Or could the rider keep consistent pace from start to finish?

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm curious how they would fare in SM trim on a road course... just watched a test of the Stark on youtube and it has my interest.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

AJ Cantanzaro has a few vids of him on his Alta... in one of them he shows when the battery overheats & he has to park it.

cav115 likes this.
  20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

No big deal, time for a kool -aid break and a nap....:crackup: