1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoo Artists

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Full color generally takes like twice as long as black/grey for any given size.

If its more hard lined, neo-traditional, you could always do the outline and the black shading in a session, give it a month or two to heal, then go back and do the color. If you want it more like a water-color/oil painting style, then maybe they just gotta go thru. Color is hard on skin because you're essentially going back over the same spot like 3 or 4 times... line, black shading, colors and fades between them. So its a lot of trauma on a small region. Just gonna have to take your time. Also here's the chick:

[​IMG]

That whole area is 10x more painful than a forearm. If she can do it, you can do it.

pfhenry likes this.
  2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Amazing work... She looks so much happier(in regards to how other people perceive you)

My moms BF said "people might think you were a severe heroin addict with those scars"

apparently trac marks look like severe abrasion burns / road rash lol.

been looking at this dude in NY

mikhailandersson

rsz_1screenshot_425.jpg

3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

actually less time than i thought...

horse penis jan 22, 2022.

rsz_1rsz_20220129_224908.jpg

4. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

If Atlanta area is doable, check out Dustin Swinks. Great dude, motor head, some ridiculous detail and life like portrait stuff. I'm not a "tattoo guy" but if I ever have something put on my self, I wouldn't look anywhere else.

https://www.swinkstattooemporium.com/

pfhenry likes this.
  5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yeeesh haha. so yea only thing to consider is how long it actually takes scar tissue to be solidly healed and as tough as its gonna get, not sure about that answer at all. as long as that time period has elapsed you should be aiit.

first thing that came up in Google:

"Scars can take up to 1 year to mature fully and go through four stages of healing. This slow process may explain why some people do not experience scar tissue pain immediately. Initially, the scarring may look minimal, but over 4–6 weeks, the scar may get bigger or become raised, firm, and thick."

so yea man, maybe have them take a look and see what they think based on how the skin looks/feels.

pfhenry likes this.
  6. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

In the Atl area (Marietta), check out Mystic Owl Vince Villalvazo is a badass. Crazy good detail and likes the complex pieces. The art you listed seems like a lot for a forearm. Unless you're Popeye of course. I would stay away from the glow in the dark stuff. If i recall the ink doesn't last very long especially when exposed to a lot of sun light.

pfhenry likes this.
  7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Slightly off topic of this discussion, but since @omatter34 is wanting black & grey realism, I have a question about that style. How long do the details "still look good"? I'd like something like that, but I wouldn't want to have to get it touched up every so often because the details fade out. I also like neo-traditional. With regards to traditional and neo-traditional, I always hear people say "Bold will hold."

Thoughts on the longevity of the details in a realism tattoo?

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My buddy Jason is based in NC and you have to come to him he's not really bothering with conventions at this point. Around 9 months from consultation to chair.

upload_2022-6-7_16-52-24.png
    upload_2022-6-7_17-12-46.png
    upload_2022-6-7_17-15-15.png

sharkattack likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Partially depends on you.

Are you willing to never expose it to UV? It begins to degrade the minute you expose it especially while it's healing. After that it's less of a danger but sunlight will degrade it particularly fine lines will start to merge and pixelate over time.

It's going to deteriorate no matter what, all you can do is prolong the process. I have known folks with thousands invested in sleeves who wear long sleeves year round for this reason and they're still sharp and vibrant years later.

sharkattack likes this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

auminer likes this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have a full neotraditional sleeve. I go to pretty great lengths to protect it from the sun.

I went with nt for a few reasons, but one of the main ones is that they last.

In my search for a world class artist I learned something that most people don’t like to hear. I completely gave up on my own ideas. I found an incredible artist who was willing to work on me (the hardest part) and then I basically let them do what they do. I get almost daily comments on how good it is. I think a big part is that I didn’t interfere with my dumb ideas.

12. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Second for Dustin. He did a piece for me a few months ago. His work is fantastic. I would also mention Phil Colvin at Memorial Tattoo. Dustin learned under Phil. Phil is a traditionalist and is pretty well known.

13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I have some ideas on what I want, but when I meet the artist, I’m just going to give him or her my ideas and let them go. I’ve got the shop and a few artists picked out.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fun to have a beer with too although it's been forever.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Surprised nobody in Atlanta has mentioned Brandon Bond or did something happen with him?

Edit: Nevermind I looked it up. Wow. Damn shame, he's a great artist. Never had a problem with him personally.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  16. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

Yea, looked at him when I was looking for an artist. Actually met with him but it didn't work out. Yikes!

Steeltoe likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I used to do security for a friend's convention and Brandon was a regular. Like I said never had a problem with him but looks like he's on a downward spiral big time.