1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrucci!

Discussion in 'General' started by 27, Dec 15, 2021.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Huh? 0.3 sec behind Jake and less than that behind Scholtz at his home track on Danillo's first visit to the track and after only 2 sessions? I like the guy and think he is a talented rider, but such lofty expectations are a bit much. I too hope to see a good race tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

27 likes this.
  2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Wow.

G 97 likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ferracci's story here is nothing he planned. He lived the American dream by seizing an opportunity that was essentially forced upon him, and he ran with it. The guy ultimately became global and his empire has been so for decades.
    Most US roadracers only know of his AMA days...

Quicktoy and cxd10 like this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That would explain his connection to the factory....

please educate me with the outline...

as you described I only know him from his American racing

Quicktoy likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

Try this on for size...
    Archives: Eraldo Ferracci: Last of an Era Pt. 1 - Cycle News
    I don't know if there's a Pt. 2, but I heard his developed products are even more popular in Europe.

I worked for him from Aug/00-Jul/01 at his Willow Grove shop north of Philly. There's my own stories associated with that time, but it was after I left that I learned even more about Eraldo through the grapevine. Can't say it's fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "rumor" that Ferracci was/is 1/3 of DynoJet wasn't true, the guy had his hands in everything. His shop dyno was always up to date and always spinnin'...we dynoed everything.

Other stories, from a "long-time retail career in motorcycles/Power of the Poconos guy" that became a friend of mine, alluded to various good stories within the inner circle of MV Augusta that were shared by Ferracci. Ferracci's kids, whom were/are all involved in Italian bikes and racing to varying degrees, also had stories to relate. His second son, Steve, gave me a few insights about world class rider's techniques. His eldest son, Larry, is the President of CagivaUSA. He may be the single point of entry for all the Italian brands coming to our shores, but I couldn't swear to it. Ferrari F1 suspension techs (Sachs) would show up to the shop on occasion, killing time while waiting to attend some conference/seminar...hilarity ensues.

As a rider, Eraldo could move pretty good. He had one of the first MV Augusta OROs, the ground-breaking in-line 4 750 with the radially-splayed valves developed by Ferrari. He reportedly put a lot of younger riders to shame out on the track with that bike, but that was before my time...it sat parked while I was an employee. Beautiful machine.

When I came to him as a would-be racer after my employment stint, he paid me for wins only. He later told me that if he knew how much I was gonna win, he wouldn't have sponsored me. lol My picture hung on the wall in the same hallway that framed his 1983 AHRMA championship photo/certificate. I may, or may not, have had something to do with him hiring Matt Lynn for the MV Augusta AMA effort, but I definitely talked with him about it. Eraldo and I spoke almost simultaneously of Matt's SS performance in Utah and I like to think that Eraldo hearing confirmation from another rider about still another rider sealed the deal, among other things. (Sorry, Hodgson). I was not privy to the meeting between Matt's dad, Thermosman and Eraldo that transpired later.

A lot of techs went through Ferracci's shop. He was a bear. Old World mentality, his kingdom, you were there to serve his empire and He was the King. His lead tech had been with him from the garage days and, I'm assuming, was fiercely loyal. A few AMA teams tried to poach him with offers of incredible amounts of money - all denied.

Last I saw Eraldo was at NJMP, pre-covid. I'm looking forward to running into him again this year. He's really just a bike guy...a really passionate about machinery kinda bike guy, ya know?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much... very interesting...

Matt, Britt, Dreb, Fitz and I go way back to when nobody would put the bottle rocket on their bikes... I did, great guys all, and Matt is one of my favorites to have ever filled in for me, or ridden my bikes, and that’s a hell of a list to top.

He and I freaked out the MV Agusta crew at MO... funny story, still makes me smile.

Thanks for sharing, small world we live in...

7. fastfreddie

No shit...
    ...and that's just mean. :D

I have fond memories of being on track with Matt. Alas, we never ran heads-up outside of practice. Had I raced my GSX-R, I think we coulda put on a good show. The Duc I raced was ~1.5 seconds/lap slower at all the tracks.

motion and 27 like this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Lots of funnies from how he introduced himself up to and through our careers, always smiles remembering them... another thread... someday

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

So... can we eliminate the “learn the track” BS now?!? I’m done beating the dead horse... there may be issues but learning tracks will not be one.

Looks to be a great battle brewing... can’t wait!

Quicktoy, Phl218 and motion like this.
  10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I'm betting the race will be won/lost at 10A on the last lap!!!

fastfreddie and 27 like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Was that his bike in the showroom? I fondled it. :D
    Funny you should mention him. I was thinking about him on Saturday or Sunday last week when I heard Luca Scassa's name mentioned during the 24 Hours Le Mans. I don't know his age but I was surprised he was still racing. Matt moved on such a long time ago.

12. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Did you watch the Hayes interview just now? He's not discounting Petrucci at all, but Gagne ain't just gonna roll over and hand it to him. He may win the damn race, but he's gonna work for it.

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It wasn’t that long ago! :D

Matt rode my bikes in both premier classes at Mid Ohio for his last pro races iirc... and yeah, well over a decade ago now... time flies for sure...

14. fastfreddie

Most likely, I only ever saw one. I wanted to ride it so badly. The three best handling production motorcycles in the world at my feet and I have to buy one to ride it on the track. Oh, woe is me...settling for the third best handling 996S. :D
    Then MV comes out with the F4 1000! Gaaaa... I shoulda stayed in sprint racing.

I think Luca was around 25+ when he was with FBF's MV, Matt was around 22.

HPPT likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

BigBird and 27 like this.
  16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

27 likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

Awesome addition!

More, FBF/DKNY Husky riders from back in my day.

27 likes this.
  18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Did yall see Petrux live video from Road A Saturday after his win? He was walking around the paddock showing his friends the bikes here and talking to fans

19. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Those Feracci stories were really neat to read! Thanks for sharing guys.

I first started really paying attention to motorcycle racing when I was around 11-12 years old. (1998-1999) So, I had just missed the Ferracci Ducati AMA championship years, and was set to watch Matt Mladin and Yoshimura just dominate everyone for the next decade lol. I wish I could find old footage of the 90's-00's years. the 90's bikes were so cool. I would always draw them in school. I thought the Muzzy Kawi's were badder than hell. (I think this is also why I have owned a bunch of ZX6R's and now a ZX10R lol)

YamahaRick and ducnut like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. You JUST missed the heyday of American road racing. The current series and platforms just don’t compare, IMO. Back then, the bikes were very much prototypes and the field was deep in factory teams and riders. It was an awesome time, for sure.

YamahaRick likes this.