1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Mechanic recommendation near Pensacola FL?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Apr 6, 2022.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I've got a buddy whose dad is getting bent over by a dealership claiming his 2017 F-150 needs an entirely new engine, to the tune of $18k. Wasn't able to get many details, just "the engine is bad". And it's conveniently just out of the 5yr warranty.

Any suggestions for an honest shop he could get a diagnosis from?

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Offer to buy a new truck for the hell of it and see how the story changes

Shenanigans likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a Ford...entirely believeable. Does it have anything called a Triton in it?

4. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I have a sound coming from my Macan and it’s just out of warranty. They did however fix the $13k time chain cover issue that’s well known on a Porsche goodwill warranty. However, for the noise everyone can hear in the transmission they won’t cover it and because there is no sensor or code failure yet, it’s all switching parts at my cost hoping it goes away. First part to fix is $6500.

Dealerships solution, trade it in and get a new one. They put a CPO stamp on it and sell it to the next guy with a warranty.

seriously, that was their solution. They offered me the same trade after I took it in as they did before I took it in. They don’t care. Just need a used car on the lot to resell.

5. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

The service department at the Pensacola Ford dealer is entirely clueless. He'd have better luck at a Jiffylube than that place.

6. Venom51

If you aren't willing to trade it then drive it until that PDK completely shits the bed. They don't repair them they just replace them.

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Yes. It’s what they’ve basically said. Can try to replace the one component but if it doesn’t work they would do full pdk. I’m ordering a new car so will just drive it til it comes in later this year. Still deciding what I’m going with. Rs6 avant, rs etron gT or sq5(most practical with little kids) that I do giac tune on and call if good.

8. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

If it is a 5.4 Triton, replacement should run about $7k

But, at 5 years old, it shouldn't have enough miles on it to be crudded up

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

yeah, that's my concern. "the engine is bad" just fuckin screams "mechanic is either a liar or an idiot"

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I once had E350 with gas engine, 5.4 triton V8. My friend had same van with V10 engine and was giving me shit so I put V10 emblem on my van.
    Around 170k miles I had what I tought rod knock so I took it to shop to get their opinion. They told me it is rod knock and I need new engine for $7k. I asked why $7k when V8 is 5K.
    They say because it is V10 not V8. Idiot did not even look at it.

TurboBlew, sharkattack and Phl218 like this.
  11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol I live in Pensacola and have been bent over by World Ford Pensacola Svc department.

let me try to find my review I left them.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

This should be good. :D

Shenanigans likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

While you're at it do you know a good mechanic for him to use?

Shenanigans likes this.
  14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I know several, however, it sounds like his might be a warranty issue. Especially 2017. So there is a dealership in Milton/Pace, and also a dealership in Daphne. Several Independent shops I would trust, but I would need more details as far as level of work needed. Theres a big difference in finding a shop to just motor swap. Hell I could do that in a day. But I would want it properly diagnosed first before. If that makes sense.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

It's not a 5.4. Too new.

Gonna be a Coyote 5.0 or a 3.5 ecoboost.

Both of those you can pick up reman for about $6K. With the EcoBoost it might new new turbos too so there is that...

Are they trying to sell him a brand new OEM motor?

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Lol, Triton motor hasn't been a thing in F150's since 2010, I think?

418 likes this.
  17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Either engine option for a 17 is likely to be in that price range at the Dealership and just as likely to need replacement…
    Seems like the last 5.0 we did was around 9kish out the door. That was a Ford Unit, Jasper doesn’t do them…
    Won’t touch the Ecoboost stuff, too many problems with them.

Find a good independent shop and see what they say.

18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

He has apparently already bought a motor, it's apparently in transit and about 3wk out. The truck is indeed at World Ford. It's a 2015 (not 17) F-150 3.5 Ecoboost, has less than 100k miles.

The truck reportedly cranks fine, without any horrible noises. It "almost reacts like it's flooded, and has a timing code show up".

The dealer told him it's "sludge build up in the motor". Which makes me want to go talk to the service manager in person with a baseball bat.

Any recommendations I could give to this guy so he can take it to someone who's not a fucking criminal would be greatly appreciated.

19. Venom51

A quick peek with an inspection camera would tell you a lot.

20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend the baseball bat option…

No way I’d do anything other than put a engine in that POS. It’s jumped time and those are not conducive to replacing just the chain. The dealer has to fix it in a manner it stays fixed and they aren’t married to it from now on.
    Maybe you should be a good friend and take it in and put your expertise to work and fix it for free. JS