1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You Know How I Know You're Old.....reading glasses

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Funny thread. I have terrible eyesight, 4F, when I rolled into my 40’s, it didn’t get better. I have a specific recollection of being down at Road Atlanta at a restaurant, and when the server came up and asked us if she could bring us anything, I answered, yes, a flashlight. That was about 15 years ago. Happily phones now come with flashlights, otherwise, 3.5 for me. :(

BigBird likes this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So eventually you're going to look like Andy Rooney in his later years. :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Works for me!

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I think the Birdman has some sort of voodoo doll or something. Tried to help the kid at work this morning with some cad work, and I couldn't read the text on the screen until I got really close......Seriously, I'm staring at the screen think WTF is wrong with my eyes. Never happened before. All good now, but I seriously couldn't focus them for a few minutes.

BigBird likes this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Easy on the five knuckle shuffle, Dan :D

BigBird likes this.
  6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Wife was gone all weekend......I think that's another scooby doo mystery solved ;)

BigBird and cha0s#242 like this.
  7. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

PSA

if you cant see and maybe in a moment of need took a quick pic to zoom in on your work phone, like maybe the small font Immodium dosage recommendations, remember to delete before scrolling thru project pics on a Teams meeting.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

"Ciaran, it is time for your appointment at Gartner & Galstian Vision Care"

Text and email this morning.
    Last time I was there was $660.00 for exam and two pair of glasses.

I've been without glasses for a few months now.
    I do have my beer goggles on though.

BigBird likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

So, I tried using the glasses to read a magazine, remember those? It was great! Except, when I took them off, everything else was blurry for like 2 hours. Is this normal?

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

How old are you?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Average of 40 to 44

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

50 in May

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yes, it’s normal. In that age range it is not unusual to one day go holy crap I cannot see. Don’t worry, it stabilizes.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Depends what magazine you were reading....

BigBird likes this.
  15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I was in deep depression for a year when I hit 50. Not literally, but i did not like it at all.

I get yearly eye exam for my CDL medical card, and have no problems passing that without glasses....20/20
    But i do struggle with the fine print on shit and low light situations. I can see a mile away though.

I have a magnifying glass on my desk at home and i carry another one in my car that i use to read blue prints at work....I'm still refusing to get readers. I refuse to get 'old' and readers are just an admission of that. :D

BigBird likes this.
  16. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I got LASIK when I was 37. The Dr. told me that even with LASIK there was a good chance I'd need reading glasses after passing 40-ish. I knew I was in trouble when I was laying on the garage floor working under the car and I could NOT focus on what I was doing, and couldn't move further away 'cause my head was already on the floor!

Just about to apex turn 50, and I'm more and more dependent on readers, especially in low-light as others mentioned. Nice things is, I just had a vision exam and I'm 20/15 in on eye and 20/10 in the other - 13 years post-LASIK. I nailed all the letters on the 20/20 chart and the Doc was like "nice job", I said "nah we're gonna keep going". He laughed and threw up some tougher charts and we kept going. I guess they don't see to many passing the 20/10 charts.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have that shit happen all the time if my neck muscles get wonk (well, more wonky than their normal state). If I have my head leaning too far forward while reading or I fall asleep in the current recliner (it doesn't recline enough) and such they'll get way tight and sore. All of my vision will be blurry until they relax again. Freaked me out at first until I put the two things together, now it's just annoying and I cuss at myself for letting it happen.

Neck muscles being tight also seem to affect my tinnitus. Some day I'll get a massage and see if it helps.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're insane, old man magnifying glass is WAY worse than using reading glasses :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

:eek:

20. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Looks like I’ll be joining the club. Went to dinner with a couple slightly older buddies (I’ll be 50 soon) and they both whipped out the readers when the menus came. I tried the 1.0 pair and couldn’t believe the difference.

Is it possible to get normal looking glasses where just the bottom have magnification, like bifocal readers? I’m not trying to look any older than I already do.

BigBird likes this.