1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delta flight 339, 3/28/22

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Mar 29, 2022.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have flown in a bunch of planes while living in the Alaskan Bush. A Dash 8 is a big plane out there and can only fly into the hubs. I have flown in a 172, 207, Caravan, Navajo, Cherokee 6, Twin Otter, Beech 1900, Metroliner, King Air, Grumman Goose, Beaver, TurboBeaver Amphib and probably some others. Those are only planes that were either a commercial flight or a charter. I also flew in a bunch of stuff my friends and family owned. I have had some scary flights in low visibility and crappy weather into some small gravel strips that got my attention. There are some pretty bad airports in AK. They have tightened up some, but the pilots used to use some pretty creative loading practices with "if it will fit it will fly" packing. This one killed my brother, https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19871123-0.

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I’ve heard base jumpers say that a hike down the mountain never killed anybody.

I’ve sent it when I felt like I shouldn’t have because of lack of experience. Not jumping seems to be a sign of maturity.

motion likes this.
  3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

A pilot friend told me he had a windshield shatter recently. (Lear 45) Said it sounded like a shotgun going off in the cockpit. After going through the checklist he went back to explain to the passengers what was going on. One of them asked if they were going to die. My friend chuckled and said if that were the case he wouldn't be back there talking to them.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

One thing that the raw statistics don't capture is the difference between those who do what they're supposed to and those who don't. Aviation accidents are often self-inflicted. I'm sure that the accident delta between competent pilots and hacks is much greater than the comparative delta between competent riders and idiots. There are so many more things and people that can get you on the road regardless of your experience and competency level. So, in my opinion, if you are good, you're safer in the air.

tophyr and Triple X like this.
  7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Pretty much anybody who lives and works in the Bush or who likes the Alaskan wilderness has dealt with some crazy and perhaps incompetent stuff. I represented Alaska Native corporations my entire career, and I have done a lot of wilderness stuff too, so I’ve had my share, for sure. I’ll spare you endless war stories but things can get hairy. One sort of funny experience was I represented a little Bush carrier that flew 206s out of Bethel and they were holding a BOD meeting in a tiny village out on the Bering coast. Natch, I booked on the client’s flight out there and the entire BOD booked with another carrier that flew twins— they were amazed I flew on them. In retrospect so was I. Another was flying another carrier’s 206
    out of another remote village, so tail heavy after loading passengers and freight that it slowly rotated back until the tail was sitting on the ground. Some guy had to hold it up until they got to taxiing. It was either get out and stay there another couple days, or fly, and for some reason I stayed on board.

Ken, I’m sorry for your loss. I didn’t know that your brother was on that Ryan Air flight in Homer. What a tragedy.

Anyway, thanks to those guys who posted early in this thread and helped answer what the h—happened to my son’s flight over Kansas earlier this week.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’m seeing safety being discussed haven’t read through but I just stayed overnight in BFE Alabama because I stopped for fuel and the av gas pump was broken. The after hours guy said he’d be there if he didn’t have to stay with his wife so I guess he’s part time after hours. Anyway, checked my fuel and decided it wasn’t enough to take off and try for another airport. Called around and happened to have someone 45 mins away who got in the car at 9:30pm and picked me up.

once I got gas, I saw I had enough In the tanks for an hour., which is what I thought but I take what I think I have and deduct time. Yeah I guess I could have made it to another airport but wouldn’t have been legal and more importantly would have been dumb as hell to take off at night like that

Triple X and Gino230 like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, hell no!

10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Peter, I have heard this story before! The captain retired from Delta and became a classroom instructor for SWA. His name was Chuck I believe?

He also said the reason for the late abort was that he pushed the rudder down and it went straight to the floor, no resistance. No hydraulic pressure. He said both of the pilots injured their backs pushing so hard to keep the nose on the ground.

12. Gino230

I left LGA that morning before sunup. At the end of Runway 4 there are 3 boats hanging on lifts that are there for water rescues. There was a guy crawling around the pilings checking the boats- I remember thinking this guy drew the short straw- it was windy, freezing and raining. When I landed in Vegas someone texted me and I wondered if those boats got put to use. (they weren't)

13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah I never had anything terribly dangerous happen. Just the landing gear problems you get every couple yrs, had to do a no flap landing in the CRJ, had a spark plug pop out on a 6 cyl lycoming, lightning strike, thats about it that I recall.

One of my flight instructors got killed in an C 207 crash in around '99? I think 6 passengers as well.

Gino230 likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How old are you?

I'm 59... the pendulum is starting to swing in the other direction. I'm pretty excited for new opportunities.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wait....what? Lots of people die falling off mountains every year?

Spot on mate!

When in doubt jump on out.
    :D

JBraun likes this.
  16. ChemGuy

Me neither.

I did have the electric stab trim runaway once. Apparently I should have died since Piper didnt tell me what to do when that happened. :rolleyes:

Gino230 likes this.
  17. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

On the bigger birds, you need to press n release the stab trim after a second or two, otherwise you get the stab trim horn barking in your ear

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

WTF do you do when these yellow things get on your screen? Might as well go inverted and dive. Student did well for never being exposed to partial panel until I picked her up. Her dad is retired Iraqi airforce, (not Sadam years). He was happy I'm making her work.

[​IMG]

Gino230 and Triple X like this.
  19. ChemGuy

WTF? Where did all the gauges go? How do you fly without a 6 pack......and your primary flight instruments. :D

8min bottle to throttle....

20. Gino230

Good Job, Travis. Too many pilots these days are weak on stick skills and rely far too much on the fancy stuff. "Children of the magenta line"