1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ridden the Kayo MR150R

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by JTRC51, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Darren E

Darren E Member

where is near you?

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You trying to snipe it? :D

CO. It ended up being sold before I could get it.

3. Darren E

Darren E Member

I was going to try. lol

Senna likes this.
  4. KevinT707

KevinT707 Well-Known Member

Sorry dude, it was so long ago I done forgot.

Ever since then I left my mini-moto dreams when I realized that it's not really cheaper riding these bikes.

5. Darren E

Darren E Member

That's not a problem. lol... It's not cheaper, but definitely easier to ride more frequently.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’ve come to this same conclusion lol.

I do think the XR100/TTR route is cheap. Swap tires and go. Once you get to the heavily modded KXs and 150rs…I’m not super convinced its much cheaper than running an SV.

7. KevinT707

KevinT707 Well-Known Member

Yeah don't think so, especially compared to an SV. I'm sure the tires on those last forever also.

I burn through tires on my R1, but I coach so that's free track time for me. The mini tracks are sparse/far, cheap, but the bikes are expensive once setup and the layout gets boring quite quick.

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You from Lorain? My whole family is out of Elyria.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the 100 or TTR is more of a practice bike you can race. Crashes are way less expensive & so are consumables. Even if the track fees were the same it'd still be cheaper per lap than a bigger bike simply by the quantity of laps.
    The other thing is the stock bike classes have bigger grids vs a super mini grid. The pointier end of the grid would be super mini. Adults dont chase mini championships (unless they are demented)

If you got into the 150rs... they are kart track liter bikes. Not the same as an SV.

418, DmanSlam and Senna like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When we ran minis, track days were $30-40, and the big track was $150-200.

Plus for us, mini tires lasted much longer versus 125, SV650, 600 and 1000 tires at the big tracks. We could run his take off 125 tires that weren’t good on the big track and still win mini races with them on a 150R in a 125 chassis.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That’s the biggest difference from my POV. In addition to the cost savings, that fact that it’s an open track format is much preferred by me. I love the freedom of riding when and for how long I want vs a 15 minute session once an hour.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’m fortunate that I have 3 kart tracks within a 90 minute drive, with the closest being just 45 minutes. That’s closer than some of the MTB trails I’ve ridden.

We actually have a pretty active mini series out here. Most adults are on 150Rs, though.

I like my KLX as it is cheap practice, like you said. The kart tracks are also open every weekend and are close. Not a lot of weekend track days out here outside of racing, unfortunately.

13. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Elyria was my ole stomping grounds! Shame what that mall has become.

Grew up in BFE, Wellington.

Now I'm in Fort Wayne.

14. AllWaysLookin

AllWaysLookin Active Member

Don’t want to high jack the thread but does anyone have any insight on the IMR Corse 140R or any IMR pit bikes?

15. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I’ve lost track of him but Chris Joffrion was trying to gain traction with that chassis. Check out the Rocky Mountain Mini Moto Racers FB page or message him.