1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Racing Schools?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by IL8APEX, Nov 15, 2021.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

https://www.cartersatthetrack.com/events_roster.php?eid=742&track_id=thunderhill

Feel like a pro { https://www.feellikeapro.com/terms-of-service } has rates for the school so you won't have to worry about bike prep/transport or setup... just show up and ride. Plus Ryan & Carters run a great combined event along with Ken's instruction makes it a trifecta of a memorable event. Much like a WERA paddock... its very friend oriented even though everyone is effectively a stranger. :D
    All in with school, flights, bike/car rental, hotel, & pictures you would be in it for less than $2000, if you book in advance. Still the best money (value) you'll ever spend on the hobby. Thunderhill is a great facility!

jd41 likes this.
  2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Last season, I had several discussions on the topic of applying the brakes. Care to elaborate on this?

3. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Ha! Do you have a few hours......

Work it backwards -

1) The goal is where you are releasing the brakes, not where you are applying them.
    2) If your eyes are late picking up your brake application point, the tendency is to be abrupt and add too much brake, too soon.
    3) If your initial braking is too much and not sync'd with your depth perception (scanning to where your brake release point is) you may overslow.
    4) Your initial braking controls what the brake graph looks like - for that particular corner radius.
    5) Your end of braking controls the last part of direction and speed control - for that particular radius.
    6) Initial braking - at a high pace - is in milliseconds.
    7) Different corners require different brake graphs - see#4

Think of your braking like light switches - A normal light switch is on or off, you don't get to control how much light there is, it's just on or off. A rheostat, controls how much light you want, for the given environment. If you quickly flick the rheostat on, you're stuck with wherever the rheostat lands, you're still not in control of the amount of light, but if you take a millisecond to control the initial part of the rheostat engagement, you get how much light you need, for the given environment, every time.

It's all in the podcasts!

Ken

4. DmanSlam

Thank you Ken. I agree with the explanation of "initial braking". I was curious if there was something different. An instructor-friend explained it similarly. I do appreciate the extra steps. Very useful!

Will check out the podcasts.

5. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I checked it out and it's right before an out-of-country trip, so seems unlikely, but hey thanks for following up. I'll keep my eye out in case the schedule changes.

6. DmanSlam

Man, that is good information you're publishing! One thing that's been on my mind since last season is recovering from a frontend slide.

7. Jonathan Schweiger

Jonathan Schweiger Schwags13

If you are looking for top level professional coaching, I can't recommend @khill enough! He has helped me accomplish my personal goals and then some, while doing it safely. Getting into racing later in life, he helped me understand how to break down the track into a process and build my script to continue pushing to go faster safely. I was also able to qualify for a few MotoAmerica rounds which was a personal goal of mine. Excited to put all of that together with my entry into this year's Daytona 200. Reach out to Ken Hill, you won't be disappointed.

IL8APEX likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Happy Speed Academy participant here…. Stokes helped me take a couple seconds off at CMP one weekend….