1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with car people?

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Maybe you need to re-think the way you travel. Landmark chasing is fun but loses it's fun rather quickly, like you mentioned. However, if you travel to soak up the local culture, the people, the food, the music, you are experiencing a new dimension of life on this planet, and that is the best part of travelling. I learned that during my last trip to Thailand with Thailand Moto Tours and @gpstar748. The people I met there and the things we did together really opend my mind to a new way of travelling.

Sprinky, BigBird and rd400racer like this.
  2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Like say, sitting down with locals and eating the local foods and learning the local traditions. Something says that hasn't been in the cards. The food in Australia, Spain, Portugal, Croatia South Africa, Botswana, and Mexico, was adventurous and fantastic. The beer in the UK was worldlcass. :D The conversations -- all over -- were the most memorable; you just have to show genuine interest in local customs and lose the USA arrogance. I am nearing retirement, and have the opportunity to buy something nice (like, say, a Porsche), or plan a lot of new places to see and adventures to have. I am leaning to the latter. YMMV.

As to the original post/complaint: Have you considered a simple one sentence response along the lines of " I mean no disrespect, but I'm just not interested in talking cars to people I don't really know."? If you are honest with yourself (and thus think its a real problem worthy of a Beeb thread) be honest with others. Otherwise it's just more whining.

rd400racer likes this.
  3. I normally try to base mine around animals. I don’t care about or want to talk to people. And don’t like eating new foods. But I love animals.

I care about animals more than the landmarks. For example, we spent a week in Rio and I didn’t care about that bigass Jesus statue, I liked the road that led up to it because you could stop on the side of the road and there were tons of little monkeys that would come up to you.

Copenhagen has a lot of cool shit, but I spend most of my time at the zoo. They have polar bears and panda bears.

I have spent a lot of time all over SE Asia and love it. I could see us living in SE Asia at some point.

I want to do an African safari, and stay at that hotel where giraffes will stick their head through the window and eat off your plate. :D

4. And you would be wrong.

5. dsapsis

YMMRV.

6. And I stand by that.

Just because I don’t care to, it doesn’t mean I have never done it.

Perhaps I have done it, and didn’t care much for it. Ever consider that?

418 and rd400racer like this.
  7. You motherfuckers do realize everyone is different, right? Everyone likes and enjoys different shit.

It is easy to sit and say shit like “Well, you didn’t enjoy it because you didn’t do this….”.

Did you consider that perhaps being around and interacting with a bunch of different people, in a strange place, gives me anxiety?

You might see shit like that as “enjoying the culture”, I see it as putting myself in a situation where I could end up being VERY uncomfortable, and reacting violently.

To me, that is not enjoyable, and not a vacation. That is a recipe for disaster.

You do you.

MachineR1, Knotcher, Rebel635 and 3 others like this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

What an amazingly short sighted view point.
    I've noticed people who enjoy traveling always feel really high about themselves for doing so.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I watched Bourdain thru the years make this progression. His last couple years were absolute f&*ing art, in terms of how he approached the show and the topics he explored in each location with people.

I really don't like people, but I like to explore the planet. At some point in the past, I started feeling guilty about traveling their roads, admiring their architecture, and eating their great food, without understanding the sacrifices involved by them, which allowed me to enjoy these places. My own personal travel has evolved from staying at 5 star American-style resorts, then to small hotels, and now I try to seek out B&Bs so I can become more personal and learn more from the locals. My feeling is that everyone has an extraordinary tale to tell, especially when you get out of the first world countries.

Broome obviously hates people and is deflecting his feelings on animals, for whatever reason. I get it. In America, I generally hate people, too, and want to be left alone. We are a classless society obsessed with Walmart and violence. I don't really see this in the rest of the world (at least outside of the Americas). I think its worthy of a lifetime of exploration and general truth-seeking. I realize I am virtue signaling here, but am trying to deal with being told to EAD haha.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think you have it wrong. Rather, I believe that people who enjoy traveling would like to somehow inspire others to do the same.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I've seen a couple fbi profiles that read just like this

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. dsapsis

Either you are who you make yourself out to be here (repeatedly, mind you -- as in the form of hundreds of posts demonstrating the same general personality quirks) or you are not. I am not criticizing you, but just on food aversions alone, I take it as very hard to consider you have sat down and even attempted local flavors, which I find a key part to breaking down cultural barriers that naturally exist. Or you did the full Bourdain experience, but surreptitiously spit it out, and backfilled it with Velveeta. Maybe that's just a bridge too far, and that's all fine.
    So...I was closer to home than you made out?
    To each their own on this. The fact that this type of "travel" isn't for you is totally cool but life and its experiences might be considered under a pluralism lens, where different views add to understanding, not detract.
    I find travel humbling and rewarding in ways that new cars (i've only had one, so that is a limited sample) don't. To each their own. The general happiness axiom formed over goods/things or experiences is vague, but people buying stuff to simply have it or show it, and people traveling simply to show stamped passport are probably both missing out.

People here generally know I am a beer geek. For work I got to travel to Australia back a long time ago when I was in my 30s and it was my first real wide-world travel. Through both some beer and some wildland fire connections I met the most interesting people, including a total stranger who allowed us to extend our Melbourne part of the trip two days by opening his house and taking us to a Greek (!) restaurant, which meal still makes me salivate. I made contact with that guy based on a some scribbling on the back of a business card I got from a local brewer in Sydney that read " Thom Burns Top Bloke" and a phone number. From that time forward, including the bush in Botswana, I have sought seeing the local life -- food, music, views for the neighborhood, views of the world. It 's just rewarding for me. I understand it not being other's cup of tea, and I also understand sometimes folks overdo their own perspectives on things. I suggest everyone find their own path to happiness.

13. notbostrom

Ferrari guys don't talk to anyone but Ferrari guys

14. notbostrom

Ain't nobody got time to read that

Gorilla George and bored&stroked like this.
  15. I have spoken to locals all over the world, and tried all kinds of food. Granted, it wasn’t always by choice. Sometimes I found myself somewhere I didn’t want to be, or the person/people I was with wanted to try something and talk to people.

When shit like that happens, I “give it an honest run” and try to enjoy it. If I’m there, and have to eat, or have to be around people, then I might as well try to make the most of it.

I can’t say I gained anything valuable from it. I found myself thinking “This food is shit”, or “This dude is on my nerves”, or “I know this guy is ripping us off”. There was never a time when I thought “This is awesome, I have to do this more”.

It was more “I’ll be glad when this shits over so I can get back in my comfort zone”.

The point is, everyone likes different shit. To belittle someone, or claim they are “incapable of personal growth and learning” or some shit like that, just because they don’t enjoy the same things, is fucking bullshit.

It would be like me saying “If you don’t enjoy doing compound sets with multiple body parts, then you are a slob and don’t know how to have fun”.

16. notbostrom

Challenge accepted I see?

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A year of motorcycle memories is an experience, unless we are talking about your daily commute or admiring it every day in your living room. It's a lot more like taking a trip than spending the money on a watch, for instance. Nothing against watches.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not to be a typical American, but I only feel comfortable in places that speak English, or Spanish, if my wife is with me.

Otherwise my internal radar goes to level 100 and I feel in fight or flight mode the entire time.

Good thing I meet a lot of people that like to talk cars and bikes at the gas station :D

19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I would love to see one of these gas station conversations.. when you are telling them about your Mini-Van , when in reality your driving a hatchback.. their eye rolling must be spectacular :crackup::D

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I don't know about some of you guys. for but myself I would give up everything I own and most every possession I've ever had and travel the world for my entire life experiencing different cultures nothing I own that could compare I just living experience has.
    I could care less about dying penniless obviously I would like to be able to sustain a mediocre living a small home with a small motorcycle...that would be grand.
    ndA don't take away my movie theaters...lol