1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with car people?

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you talked to more people you wouldn't have that problem.

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Apparently my Smiley faces didn't post at the end of the sentences.

Honestly, I am funny in person:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Everybody gets a shot...ONE and one only.
    If you even feign to be a dickhead you are forever sentenced to the Arctic ice.

BigBird, Gino230 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

That’s hilarious… won’t talk to neighbors or people with similar interests but you would have an conversation all afternoon with a Llama you just met behind a fence … :crackup::crackup::D

Rich, BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Hey now … I used to have a Porsche 914 2.0 .., PM me so we can talk :D

BigBird and motion like this.
  6. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I haul enclosed and high end cars - when I have to shuffle them around or make deliveries never fails someone in a piece of shit hoop tie has to drive by and say “trade ya?” With a dumbass smirk on their face . I get yahoos all the time wanting to talk me to about the cars and chit chat - bro I’m working trying to concentrate so I don’t put a Ferrari in the wall . If there’s a little kid I’ll make a few mins and let him hop in a car or something but man I agree . Car people can be a pain in the ass. I’m a die hard car guy and have a couple cool ones but the attention they get is obnoxious. Yes it’s fast , no you can’t drive it , yes it’s expensive , I’m aware you’ve never seen one ...
    sincerely ,
    Grumpy car hauler :D:D

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Welcome to my world :)

27 likes this.
  8. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Hates people in person, goes online where people are worse…

Makes sense

Sudowoodo and tl1098 like this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That thing was on another level.

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Holy cow! As much as people talk about the breakdown of common courtesy and basic, polite, communication among people. This is a problem big enough to complain about?

I daily drove a 71 and a 72 Plymouth Satellite for several years, before and after rebuilding.

I thought it was pretty cool that it sparked conversations with all sorts of people, even across lines that a lot times people didn't normally spark up conversations across.

Little kids, older folks who used to work in the plants building them, someone reminiscing about the car that was driven by a parent they lost, old ladies talking about the backseat they enjoyed during their youth, old guys re-living their street racing stories (these were the coolest/craziest), war vets talking about the car they bought returning from Nam...an on and on.

Pretty cool in my opinion, and definately not something that bothered me.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I wouldn't mind talking to people if they showed some semblance of intelligence, but that is rarely the case. Most motorcycle conversations devolve to claims that their 2002 Road King with S&S cams makes 200HP and can smoke crotch rockets all while the saddlebags are filled with PBRs. I had the 993 parked downtown last summer in front of my shop and this raggedy ass looking dude pulls up on an old Z900 with his gf on the back. Within 2 minutes, I know the dude is a walking encyclopedia of air-cooled Porsches, so it was one of those rare good encounters. Turns out he is an indie Porsche mechanic down the road that I didn't even know about, so now I have a local guy to work on my car, which is great!

cha0s#242, TurboBlew, Gino230 and 2 others like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

The conversation part - i don’t mind. It is mostly brief and friendly.

what bugs me is random “modified” cars running up to me and doing the wanna go faster together moves, accelerating, swerving until they see IDGAF and take off. Idjits

or the old fucker at the campground when i still had the ecodiesel, looking over all the time when i was around the truck, to finally walk up to me and start jabbering about his RAM - while i was hooking up the camper to head out. Good thing i had reasons to escape that conversation

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Exhibits some redeeming qualities. :beer:

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

^that!
    The ones that come to talk about my build and plans are worth conversating with. The ones who want to be your new BFF because they have/had the same one and won’t shut up about them and their “collection” are stealing my time.

15. Nah, id rather live in doubt :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Online he can throw all the uppercuts he wants.

In person leads to significantly worse outcomes

17. :crackup:

Yeah because animals are awesome.

People suck

18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

you know what's worse than random car idiot talks? random tattoo dude/chick talks. by 10x. people ask you where you got whatever, that's fine, i like sending my local dude business anyways cause he's good peoples. people asking ABOUT the tattoos specifically in line at a coffee shop when you're tired and just want to go about your day, annoying. people coming up to you and complimenting your tattoos so they can then show you their one TERRIBLE tattoo that looks like it was done in a prison with a tape deck motor then tell you about all the next things they want that are equally as terrible that they can't afford... i can't even describe it. like its hard to even put on a fake smile and be like, "ohhh cool i like yours too" just to be polite. half the times I don't. they tell me they like one of mine and i'm like, "oh hey thanks..." and there's this awkward silence where they're expecting reciprocation that is never coming.

the one funny one i'll always remember tho, was like 5-6 years ago being in line at Nordstroms. a lady and her like 7 year old boy were behind me, i could hear him whispering about my tattoos and she was doing the typical, "that's not gonna happen, don't ruin your life." kinda thing to him. she taps me on the shoulder, says excuse me, and in a snarky Karen kinda voice, she was like, "excuse me, sorry, can i ask what it is you do?" totally thinking this was gonna be a teachable moment for her son to show him how life could go if he got tattoos. she was ready to be like, "SEE!" immediately after my response. at first i was like, "huh?" but then she asked again like, "do you mind telling my son what you do for a living?" so i was like, "oh sure no problem... i do finance for a living little man. i have an econ degree and an MBA and a cool 6-figure salary that let's me buy all types of sweet toys like motorcycles and racecars! tattoos are the best! you should totally get some!" she literally said, "thanks... thanks a lot..." and rolled her eyes and said out loud under her breath, "that did not go anything like i was expecting..." I smiled and said have a nice day when I checked out as I went to walk away. that was the one time i felt like i loved that this happened. i laughed about it in the car to myself for like 10 minutes driving home.

i'll say this though thinking about it a little more... i think it has less to do with people bothering me, and more to do with where they're coming from and where they're at with the thing. it bugs me to have some dork come talk to me just because we both own 240SX's like we should be 240 buddies. it bugs me to have some dude talk about going 220mph on his stock ZX6 with a slip-on. it doesn't bug me as much if some dude with an equally crazy car says something to me and i know he actually knows things about race cars. it doesn't bug me when another dude who's built a bunch of motorbikes or raced 2-strokes wants to talk to 2-strokes or some finite detail about something about my project thingy. it doesn't bother me when somebody has amazing tattoos and wants to talk about tattoos and artists with me. i don't want to have stupid superficial conversations with dummies that don't know anything. I don't mind so much to have conversations with people you can tell are deeply engulfed into whatever it is you're talking about and clearly know what they're talking about. i guess everyone has to start somewhere, but hopefully that somewhere isn't with me.

SGVRider, Sudowoodo and BigBird like this.
  19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah that doesn't work, I have a big ass chevy express and I call it my 'dude magnet' haha! I can't go anywhere without a "bro!! nice van!!"

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

[​IMG]