1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Ridgeline

Discussion in 'General' started by jdhaasjr, May 13, 2011.

1. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

I am a Honda mechanic and have work for them since 2005. We don't see any big issues with them, just stupid little things here and there. Keep up with the maintenance and like someone said above it will out last you!

2. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Cite proof of this with a ridgeline please. This sounds like koolaide drinking honda bullshit to me.

No way a Ridgeline could last 65-80 years...when it's only been out for what, 7-10?

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Holly crap bitter much! Relax dude. Most of use will not live to 85-100 anyway. I sure as hell know I'm not going to make it another 65-80 years. (I'm 35 now so we would be talking 100-115 year old at my death, no thank you).

Much like your post the other post was a exaggeration, not ment to be taken literally. A well taken car of Honda will out last some other cars and trucks and they will out last some of the people on this forum.

4. hrc_nick_11

Now back to the subject, if you plan on going mudding and pulling stumps more than the average person, get a truck with a full frame.

If you want a SUV with a truck bed and way better traction control than most american made cars on the road. (Honda uses clutchs to change where the power goes instead of brakes to reduce the power) then you will be very happy with the Honda.

I love mine but its driven mostly by my wife back and forth to work and I pull motorcycles to the track with it 2 or 3 times a month. Other than that it hauls teenagers and food home from the store.

If you own a farm and will be pulling around hay wagons the Honda is not for you. That being said it would still do the job.

5. I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic. ;)

6. hrc_nick_11

7. jdhaasjr

jdhaasjr Trackday junkie

Thanks everyone for the input. I don't do any heavy hauling so I think the Ridgeline will get the job done. Probably will have to add hauling a boat to the lake every now and then if the wife has her way. I just feel like my Nissan Quest van at 90K miles needs to be replaced with something more truck like but with some SUV features.

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Sounds like you have your decision, but I've got to say, if you haven't tried an Avalanche, please do. A little more flexibility and a lot more room. I have a 2003 Avalanche with 157k miles. Changed the brake pads for the FIRST time at 127k miles. No, that's not a fluke and no, I don't baby my vehicles. Other than that, I've had the cats replaced and the water pump replaced. Both just done in the last month. So basically, 157k miles with basically nothing. The 5.3 is bulletproof. And I can haul 5 full size adults all day long comfortably (two true buckets up front, not a bench).

9. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

We've had a Ridgeline since 2006 and have done just about everything with it including towing our 5000lb loaded race trailer as far as Miller and back twice now.

All the up sides have been mentioned. The truck is very flexible in what you can do with it. You can get two 600cc bikes in the bed with the tailgate down, fill up the tub in the back with gear, fold up the rear seats for stands, coolers, etc.

I will say though that we are currently looking for something bigger now. I feel that I am getting to the limits of what the truck can pull and I dont want to damage it. So maybe a diesel or something with more torque.

We have 135,000 miles on ours now and it has never let us down. The stock Michelin tires go 80k before needing to be replaced.

Issues:
    We had a recall for something to do with the heater and it was fixed FOC.
    The dial for the fan is screwed up and needs to be replaced.
    The cable that pulls up the legs for one of the rear seats when you fold it up has let go and sticks out now. It will get fixed.

Thats the only issues we have had in 135k

I would buy the same truck again in a heartbeat if it came with another 100 ponies.

Cheers
    Bernie

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will check into it.

11. tito

tito Well-Known Member

on thing that has not been mentioned is price. I would love an Avalanche, but like the op I the ridgeline fits my needs perfect, lumber and bikes to the track.at les than 40k you can get a loaded ridgeline. avalanches start at 40k..(ok they start a little less but that is with no options.)

12. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Good point on the price. I actually got mine as a lease return. I always let someone else take the depreciation hit. ;) You're definitely right about the prices on the new.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Only current thread I could find and it's over 10 years old. After driving my wife's old Pilot for the last couple years and having no issues, I may be mildly searching for something new. 2020 Ridgeline looks interesting. I also have an 05 Titan that I hardly use so I could get rid of both as I don't haul much, but I do like a little bit of a bed. So what are the new opinions?

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a 2020. Very happy so far. Does everything I need of it and then some. Very good on gas too. I hauled two full sized motorcycles (my FJ-09 and my friend's MT-10) in the bed all the way to CT and did so very comfortably. I had a 2019 which I destroyed in a pileup two years ago and couldn't find anything else that answered all my needs so I got the same thing with the insurance money. It protected me well and I walked away completely unshaken from hitting a fully stopped vehicle at around 50 mph. They hold value like crazy too. The basic Sport version is what I have and it is ridiculously well equipped. I didn't want leather of heated steering and luxury like that. Hit me up with any questions you might have.

rd400racer likes this.
  15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You're the perfect guy to ask...reading reviews they say the 9 speed of the 2020 is superior to the 6 speed of the 2019. What's your opinion?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well it's one more so it has to be better...

17. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Shift like the Fast and the Furious!

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

28 forward gears and 7 reverses...

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Little 3.5L in a big truck means you'll like the extra gears in the trans a lot.
    J series is a massively proven engine.
    New gen ridgeline looks great. The 2nd gen that lasted like 2 years was ugly as sin.

20. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

I have one of the aforementioned, ugly as sin 2019 models with the 6 speed. It has performed very well so far and only recalls have been a fuel pump and "hood flutter". Early on, I added a larger transmission cooler and have changed the transmission fluid three times in almost 50k miles. If you visit ridgelineownersclub.com, many of your questions (and many you didn't ask) can be answered. The newer 9 speed transmissions are "sealed" and don't make for easy or inexpensive fluid changes, and some are still prone to water leaks.