1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to track. LOTS of street exp. Which bike?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Jordano, Oct 2, 2020.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

i have a ‘16 tuono RR (blue) For the street. I added ohlins factory forks a ttx and gold oz forged rims.

‘18 RSV4 RF LE i bought new last year for track only

definitely an awesome street-track combo.

coming from nothing but gsxrs for almost 25 yrs, and adding the apes the last 5 yrs (had a ‘13 rsv4 race bike) the aprilias opened up a whole ‘nutha world of motorcycle excitement

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

For beginning racing, my opinion:
    - Start on a 600. They are exhilarating to ride, even if you're by yourself in the back of the pack. It will make racing crazy addictive and fun.
    - When you realize you talent at braking and cornering is lacking, move down to a smaller bike. I'm a big fan of the SV650, but I would make the bike decision based on your org and how much turnout there is. I taught myself so much more about sliding both ends of my SV than I ever thought about on the 600 I started racing.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Almost like you posted on a racer forum or something. I wonder what the majority of responses would be if you asked a Chevy forum if you should buy a Chevy or not. :D

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Hopefully they'd be honest and tell him to stay away :D

5. Rehh

Rehh Well-Known Member

Lol

6. SDR1290

SDR1290 Member

That's awesome! I'm glad you found something you like and enjoy. And yes, my ride is slowly shifting from mainly street riding to track riding. Your thread resonated with me a lot because I have about the same street miles as you and I did my first set of track days last season with my street bike.. a '20 Super Duke R.

While the Super Duke is a fantastic bike, it's too much for me on the track. I quickly realized that I have a ton to work on so I'm treating myself as a new rider altogether and have purchased a second gen R6. I have a lot to learn and a lot of bad street habits to lose, I'm hoping the 600 provides to be a step in the direction to build a better foundation.

DmanSlam likes this.