1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we talk about Masters?

Discussion in 'General' started by APO2112, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And they always get mad when I DO pay attention :D

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The double bubble thing was a hotly debated topic as I got into racing, and I haven't been doing it for 10 years...yet.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It all runs together after a while. Seems like forever ago :crackup:

4. Wheel Bearing

What does the "way it was" over 20 years ago have anything to do with the situation of today?

How much resentment towards the relay class was there when N2 proposed the idea? I remember quite a bit. Did anything negative come of the relay class? Nope. I do personally know of 3 relay teams that are wanting to go all in for '22 after doing a race or two though...so it's working as intended.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It has to do with the same type of thing being argued for the same reasons with the same end result. Using the double bubble thing as a reason we should change things doesn't work, it sure as hell wasn't changed due to the complaining, it was changed because with the belly pans and some other items it became a moot point with regard to stock bodywork.

6. Wheel Bearing

You can admit that you just got tired of hearing us bitch. :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As you may have noticed, it didn't stop the bitching just changed it to something else. I'm always tired of it but it's as constant as rain on race days...

The Todd likes this.
  8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Snorkle-gate? Air filter-gate fir the r6s occurred, what, 3 years ago?

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Could have sworn that was Ducati but I may be mistaken. Like Mongo says, nonsense blends in over time.

10. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

FWIW I don't really get WERA's MC rule.. I don't see an MC as a "mechanical" performance advantage, but more as a "rider" performance advantage.

When I race, I try to do as many classes as I can each weekend. No mater the ORG. In CCS, they could give a heck about your MC, so its easy to just sign up for all the MW, and HW classes if you're on a 600cc. So, that's MWSS, MWSBK, MWGP, HWSS, HWSBK, HWGP, and GTU. All classes that you can run with a stock MC or an aftermarket MC. (even more if its an ASRA weekend as well)

Every single CCS/ASRA event I have been to in the Midwest Region, has had almost 30 bikes on the grid for most of the MW classes and easily 20+ for the HW classes. Last year I asked one of the officials about the MC rules and his response was "Why would we say NO to someone wanting to upgrade their MC for a $350-400 part when a set of tires is $440?" The CCS/ASRA rules also align with MotoA a bit better..

On Saturday, the CCS Heavy Weight SuperSport grid had 18 Experts, in Wave 1, and 13 Novice racers in Wave 2.. WERA's B Superstock had 1 Expert, and 1 Novice....

For Middle Weight SuperSport CCS had 42 bikes on the track during the race. WERA had 10 people riding around Grattan for the C-Superstock class. That has been the case for almost every single CCS event I have been to. From BHF to Road America, to ACC..

Now, for WERA, Grattan seems to be the worst of it. However, even at PITT in 2020 there were 23 racers total on the grid for the 600/C-Superstock, 12 of them were Expert. That was also a National. PITT is also a super awesome track compared to Grattan or BHF...

I love WERA, and I think they go to cooler tracks for my region... However, I don't like participation trophies, and those seem kind of easy to come by in the North Central.. If I set my bike up to run 7 classes with CCS its "technically" only legal to run 4 classes with WERA.. It basically costs the same amount to run a CCS weekend as it does a WERA weekend for me (as far as getting there with everything I need) However, to be honest, its much more fun getting 10th place after battling my ass off, over parade lapping to a podium in a similar class because I simply showed up..

Now, I absolutely don't know how to fix the grids for WERA, nor do I claim to be able to run a racing organization. However, I have raced a lot of things, and one thing I believe helps is a very close and tight rule parity between all competing sanctioning bodies in a region.. Also, if a rule is being ignored/not enforced/gentlemen's agreement between racers not to protest, its not a rule. It's a waste of words on paper.

With CCS/ASRA its absolutely clear that allowing aftermarket M/C's is not lowering the grid count by any stretch. People are still showing up to race, 3-4 decently sized vendors are showing up. You can buy tires from 3-4 different suppliers. You can buy parts/suspension setup from 2-3 different teams, at almost every round.

Again, I love WERA, I love the staff, I love the racers, and their families. I was pretty bummed out when I left the track last Friday night after helping with STT. I took this year off of racing so I could focus on some health things. I hope a bunch of the missing WERA guys are doing the same. I can't wait to be back on grid next year, and hopefully they are a little more stacked for WERA.

This is probably nonsense to some of you, but the EXACT things I mentioned in this post are the exact same conversations I've had with other racers.. When you have guys/girls from Ohio/Detroit driving 4-5 EXTRA hours West past Grattan to go race in a swamp in IL instead, I feel like there is something to be said for it...

Tyson10R, The Todd and APO2112 like this.
  11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Better watch out. Someone like the sign guy will come sprinting in and accuse you of being a cheater again for the "Ignore it and keep racing" comment...:crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You can’t win ...

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Even if he does, he will get protested.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Who will do the tear down?

Yzasserina and motoracer1100 like this.
  15. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Wait what??? You don't like participation trophies but you'd like the rules changed so you have the opportunity to collect 3 more per event? Am I reading that correctly?

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well it may be what he said, but it isn't what he meant. :D

speedluvn and TurboBlew like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Brutal

19. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I think you are thinking of the 848/xx98 shock linkage that were "must do for safety" crap that got argued over. Same thing was brought up for Suzukis needing Brembos for safety.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yet you are here posting on WERAs BBS... lmao Is the CCS site still a ghost town?

rd400racer and motoracer1100 like this.