1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we talk about Masters?

Discussion in 'General' started by APO2112, Aug 3, 2021.

1. APO2112

APO2112 Well-Known Member

Ok, so by Masters...I mean Master Cylinders. Specifically in regards to the SuperStock rules. I love racing with WERA because there isn't a huge amount of machinery inspection when it comes to the class rules. Makes life simple in one aspect, but in another there could be some improvements.

For starters, most of the SS grids will have some sort of aftermarket MC and its widely accepted that "nobody cares" since a little MC isn't going to make the difference in a lap time (and if you think it does, you might be using the brakes too much lol). Anyway, my point is mainly this: WERA is a club racing organization that prides itself in grassroots level pricing for the masses. This is organization provides one of the best racing atmospheres for aspiring MotoAmerica riders in the Southeast. However, our SS rules do not match MotoAmeria's rules. We deem an aftermarket master cylinder as "too expensive" for a SS bike, yet allow MR12 in the same class? Then turn a blind eye towards anyone running SS with an aftermarket MC. It doesn't make sense to me... On top of that, if a MotoA prepped bike is on the grid for an SS race, their automatically "illegal".

Please don't misinterpret this: I'm not asking for a spec fuel or something. I'm NOT asking for any rule enforcement to become a burden either. I simple believe we could help organization a little by aligning the rules for SuperStock toward the MotoAmerica Stock 1000 or SuperSport 600 rules. Loosen the rules a little for trivial things like an MC and/or make MR12 illegal for SS. Something like that...

It's already an expensive sport. Lets modify the rule book a little so we stop creating rule breakers and keep the path to MotoA more direct in terms of machinery. I know I'm not alone in my opinion on this. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination nor do I believe a Brembo MC will make ANY difference in my laptimes. I just think it's not healthy for our sport of we make a set of rules and no one enforces them.

And God forbid if you protest someone for an MC...

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Brembo is watching.

APO2112 and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

think about what youre asking from the Orgs side. They leave the onus on the competitors... which is how it should be. WERA offers plenty of classes to compete outside of superstock especially if youre on a 600

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

:stupid:

6. This MC in SS debate has been argued at least 678,942 times, from both sides. I could be wrong, but since it hasn't changed yet...I doubt it suddenly will now.

So the way I see it, you have 3 choices.

1. Protest the illegal part.
    2. Go affamarket errythang and run SBK classes, where it doesnt matter.
    3. Ignore it and keep racing.

jksoft, cpettit, britx303 and 2 others like this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Policing spec fuel or specifying pump gas only in a club racing organization is expensive and time consuming for the org.
    Is the 98 octane race fuel that comes out of a pump at a track "pump gas"?

As to the MC thing, :stupid:

8. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Let’s walk through what you just wrote, shall we?

First, you accurately point out that racing is expensive. Then you point out that WERA is a stepping stone to MotoAmerica, rather than where you go after MotoA. You claim that the aftermarket master cylinder provides no performance advantage while costing the already-financially-stresses racer more money. You also say that any MotoA bike that comes to the WERA grids is out of class compliance.

So tell me why you would spend more money on a part you don’t need to race in the class you want to be in? And if you have stepped up to MotoA, where ostensibly that aftermarket master cylinder is required, why have you. It retained the stock part to put back in place when you need it?

Sean has answered this a few dozen times over the years. The costs and logistics for fuel testing, which would be needed in order to disallow a specific fuel, is unrealistic due to logistics and cost. A master cylinder is a visual check that can be performed very easily.

I’ve always been of the minority opinion that post tech should check for obvious compliance, and riders should be DQ’d if found to be out of compliance. But that is just me.

JBall and APO2112 like this.
  9. APO2112

Any decision on this isn't going to effect what classes I'm running. The stock MC on my bike is plenty.

So the fuel part got blow out of proportion a little haha....

The point with bringing up MR12 is this: if we are going to have a class for "budget" racing, why are we making a $250 (single purchase) item illegal when the fuel going in the bike is over $33/gal? Sorta doesn't jive to me. Just so I'm clear: I DO NOT WANT A SPEC FUEL. I don't care what you put in the tank, I'm just pointing out the massive hole in the argument that the rules for SS are intended to keep the costs down, when there's no spec fuel. MR12 is abdicating, have you smelled that stuff??? ;)

So I think there's a (very) simple solution: make aftermarket MC's legal. End of story.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

11. APO2112

If it's such a common topic, maybe we should make a change?

[​IMG]

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

And now 678,943 times..........:D

Gorilla George and APO2112 like this.
  13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Buy whatever M/C you want to and run it...never forget the years the populace fought "the man" over double bubbles...and DOT vs full slicks for superstock.

Gorilla George, TurboBlew and APO2112 like this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pretty sure the top 3 have to report to post tech regardless... when slicks were illegal in SS Ive seen guys get DQ'd on the spot.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. I mean the post - race contingency sticker check as they are coming off track. Back in the big money times just about every racer was ok waiting for that one.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. ScubaSteve666

ScubaSteve666 Member

Want to make waves? Protest the top 5 finishers in A, B, and C superstock classes for their M/C at GNF. Just put in the protest. I’m willing to bet that you’ll pay for less than 2 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No, I cannot get you badges.

tl1098 likes this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

.....or just make a pinned thread at the top of the forum instead.

[​IMG]

APO2112 and Gorilla George like this.
  19. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Ok,but can I rent your house for the week?

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hmm

APO2112 and 418 like this.