1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Sweet man! Cool to see somebody else using it. I saw a review that said they were awesome, I like the design itself and the red big cog to match all my shit. Seemed like it was worth giving it a try. Then they had oval rings too so made that easy. Got a set of jockey wheels as well. Good to know you like it. I guess they're getting swamped with orders like most everything else. Oh and I bought some SRAM Eagle links just in case that needs to be used or becomes and issue. Wasn't sure if it would be or not.

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Ok mountain bike gurus. I just picked up a 2017 Scott Gambler. Should I send suspension out and have spring for my weight? Have it redone? I want a FS for riding downhill in the mountains when we can retire there in a few years. I got a smoking deal on this bike But riding it around Florida right now it is sooooo spongy.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah it took a while for mine to arrive, but the SID SL took longer... I have it paired with a OneUp single up front. Using an oval now, but have a traditional 32 to try too... I think the 32 may be too much gear for me. :(

4. Sweatypants

lol a Gambler? in Florida? just a suggestion... pedaling a DH bike ANYWHERE, fucking sucks haha. Even with a real sized seatpost. If you have another bike, use that bike.

In relation to the question... what's on it? what fork/model and shock/model? Its way easier to do yourself than for motorbike suspension if you wanna swap springs. Might could send it out though and just get everything nice and fresh. Gamblers are dope.

Quicktoy likes this.
  5. Sweatypants

haha damn man. yo i'm foreal fat as shit right now, but I've been on 34t's since probably 2012. and a 36t on my DH bike. i'm gonna go 32t with the oval though. i've kept it that way because my right knee is kinda jacked, and i got a lot of horsepower in my legs... so high cadence always seemed to agitate my knee, but hammering down doesn't really (probably why i kept breaking carbon cranks and a few pedals too). at the same time though, i feel like i'm always in the bottom half of the cassette on the local hilly ass XC stuff with my 1x10, so I'm gonna see if the 32t puts me more in the middle of the range, more of the time.

6. thrak410

Pic? I can't even imagine a Gambler in Florida haha! I'd put it in the garage for a few years until you make it to the mtns. :p

Where are you at? I about died today on a 977ft elevation change ride with the oval...Looking at the ratios my old 3x10 had a shorter granny than the 1x12 (32x52). Yes, I dropped 8lbs on the bike, but man it still kills me LOL I may just buy a 30T and be done with it. I was in the top 5 gears all day long. (14mi ride)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:crackup:Bro... Park that monster till you go north then worry about it. Grab something else for local. You're Tampa area correct? Alafia area I'm guessing will be your riding spot?

Quicktoy and TurboBlew like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

head to mountain creek in NJ...lol. Its $50 for a day lift ticket... optional gear would be a leatt brace otherwise they have all the gear you need.
    Funny story... I took my long time motox buddy & younger brother there to ride. We were on some pimp rental Devincis...
    To warm up we decide to do some easy trails... which have a rock garden at the start. My brother was completely anchored to the seat
    and tried navigating the area... which basically turned the rear shock into a catapult & you know the rest. He got up and rolled down the gravel exit path and sat by the lift benches the rest of the
    day smoking cigarettes.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a bunch of local guys are up in the the Dupont area right now... typically ride with 35-38 fronts... some are at 27 and others are at 30. :D Not terrible to change.
    congrats on the new ride.

10. Sweatypants

MD, right north of DC. I basically ride anywhere in and around the triangle of DC/Bmore/Frederick. DH in Frederick and Patapsco, XC at Schaefer Farms, Fairland, Cabin John, Little Bennett, etc... its just a bunch of up and down, and up and down forever and ever. I'm usually in the top 5 on those rides too though, but not problematically so. My problem is my lung stamina and overall general fatness right now haha. Shit man, I had to go to a wedding last week and my suit almost wouldn't go on that was kinda loose before COVID a year earlier. I gotta get my act together. But my legs could always go twice as far as the rest of me after like a 10-12mi. ride no matter how out of shape the rest of me is. Haha hit you some squats and daily frog leaps man.

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

@cajun636 are you racing bicycles these days? Just saw your name on a start list tonight. Good luck if you are.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Got my new ride...

184893019_3919542048095239_5156379120809261600_n.jpg

Do you think my seat is too high?

thrak410 likes this.
  13. thrak410

If I hadn't seen that pic before a long time ago, I'd believe its you! :p :D

14. thrak410

Has anyone had any success bleeding SRAM Guide brakes? What a mess of a process!

15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Mine finally showed up!!

My new FS 29er makes my old 1990s mtn bike look tiny. I feel like im on a mx bike pedaling around. Cant wait to get on a trail.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Went full dentist and picked up a set of Berd wheels for the Megatower. I almost thought the box was empty when they got delivered. So far they have survived a couple wet runs down Thrillium. Going to get some dry runs in later this week and push them a lot harder. So far I like, you can definitely feel they are more compliant and yet somehow snappier too. It's hard to explain.

Don't feel like taking a pic at the moment, but here is one off google. The spokes are polymer strings basically.

[​IMG]

17. Sweatypants

Neat. Give up the deets... weight and price. You're gonna have to give us a longevity report at the end of the season. Never seen those.

18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Pawn shop bro. You know how it is. Lol. Here’s a pic. 2AAC7527-DFDA-4685-92AF-C472A7FC0647.jpeg

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Had them built up with DT Swiss EXP 240's. Weight ended up around 1200 grams. Price was just over $2200. Though they build them with Onyx hubs for 1800 I think. I told them exactly what and where I was riding, which is known to be absolute murder on rims. I expected them to spec the wheels a ton heavier than they did. But they insisted they knew the terrain and had people absolutely smashing the hell out of them, and have a warranty to back it up. First run I was genuinely nervous. Then it kind of turned to "can I really just send this rock garden?" and then doing it. Hopefully I can get a dry week off and just ride the entire time soon.

Next on the "crypto has been nice to me" list is a coil setup to deal with all the gnar and racing the local enduro series.

20. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Laterally stiff but vertically compliant? :Poke: