1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2021 | VIRginia International Raceway | May 21-23

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, May 12, 2021.

1. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Or put a promising young rider on your bike. MA really needs a minimum speed rule for 1000cc class.

You’re probably right about the factories not coming back. Personally, Id rather them use their resources to support multiple teams

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

You're supposed to focus on the Schiebe bike being slow, not on the rider. :eek:

3. 418

418 Expert #59

He was battling for a podium position on a bike that's 5 years old on a track that he's probably never seen before. Did you even watch the race?

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Judging by the Q times Twins class isn't any better. Guess all those guys should go home too? I get the sentiment but if half those guys go home then people will be complaining about grid sizes.

And a lot of those guys are running at a pace that is about what they'll ever be capable of so telling them to step back to become a better rider is a moot point.

If they got the money, desire and balls who am I to tell them how to spend their money? Pretty sure if MA didn't want them there they wouldn't be there.

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Twins has definitely had similar issues in the past; and I said the same thing then. When the grid is 35+, you can afford to drop a few. I don't recall anyone ever saying the GP or WSBK grids were too small... But there were riders in stock 1000 that wouldn't have even finished in the points in the twins class... on bikes with double the hp. The line needs to be drawn somewhere. This is a PRO grid. That should mean something. I seem to recall a time in American pro racing where every class had a cutoff rule.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

MA may very well need the revenue from these riders to keep going.

At least the tracks are wide and most of the top guys can maneuver around the lappers easily. Watching Supercross this year, it drove me nuts how many times a lapper would have a significant impact on the race.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

He looked like he had Herrin’s number before he made his mistake.

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Superbike is the pro grid, superstock isn't the same. And like he said motoamerica obviously wants them, hell they try to get as many stock 1000 guys to race in superbike as possible. Having 10 bikes on the grid looks 100x worse than having traffic.

Boman Forklift and stk0308 like this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

How many times does Robbie Floyd have to begin a question/statement with “I’m not sure what the rules are but...” before MA realizes he needs to go?

As a couple have commented, Saturday he seemed better - but right back to the same ole thing Sunday.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  10. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Video: Guessing but I think the issues are infrastructure at the tracks related. being in person you see all the wild DIY setups, cords going into trees, people forgetting to gas up the generators, etc. its weird/ annoying and they def need to fix it. Also, this year every time they change a camera the video board goes black and it was borderline infuriating because we miss action.

Superbike/Stock1000: the true superbike grid is 13 bikes. to me, the grid would hugely benefit by making the better bikes in stock 1000 true superbikes (corey, jake, Michael, wyman, lee etc.) I am purely speaking in hopes and wants because I would rather have them in stock 1000 than on the sidelines and I am not in their pockets or situations. They have the proper talent to compete though and it could help alleviate the stock 1000 lapper problem.

Stock1000: I am sure Wyatt Ferris is a great guy but wtf why isnt PJ on that bike! I understand wyatt hurt himself but jeeze seeing PJ all weekend in the m4 tent really makes me sad.

Attendance on Saturday was packed! This was the first in person event at VIR in 18 months and everyone was hyped, that plus not scheduling the event on mothers day made for a great atmosphere.

Suzuka_joe and Senna like this.
  11. noles19

Agreed on all points, just wanted to point out with the twins class, the leaders were almost 3 seconds faster than in 2019, running 30s is insanely quick

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think he has improved since last year, I just can’t stand his voice and delivery. I can’t watch twins or STK1000 because of it.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  13. noles19

The better option would be to just have 1 1000cc class.
    And i would bet pj isn't on the bike because he doesn't want to pay for it, and or would want to be paid to ride it.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

For sure. One thing I'm surprised about is the Aprllia 660 doesn't seem to be waxing everybody like I think most people thought in the begenning of the year it would. The guys that are on the Suzuki's and Yamahas have got those things dialed in.

I do want to point out is having 200BHP @VIR is not the ace in the hole that people might think it is. It's a flowing place where momentum is everything. It would be interesting to see the actual amount of full power used around the place like that on a liter bike. I bet it's pretty minimal.

Gino230, cav115 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’m sure MA has thrown around the possibility of making the Superbikes class go to Stock1000 rules.

I think on a TrackDaz YouTube podcast, Melissa Paris, Wyman and Stanboli said they would be against that, and that the majority of the costs are more related to travel (and tires?) than anything else, but it could be an interesting differentiator for the series, and maybe the manufacturers would have more interest then.

I also wonder if they’ll ever do a middleweight nakeds class. The 890, Street Triple, and Ducati Monster are all pretty popular bikes. Could be a way to get more eyeballs on the series. It’s no less preposterous than the Baggers class.

Corey Bain likes this.
  16. noles19

Well yeah of course stanboli is against it for the same reason graves was hahaha
    And yes Wyman said if he had to start all over for a switch to stock 1000 he'd be done. I just don't see a big resurgence in superbike any time soon

Boman Forklift and Senna like this.
  17. noles19

I think it's a mixture with the ape,they have zero engine mods so all the power is pretty even, but the Suzuki seems to have reliability issues now. And then yeah the Suzuki and Yamaha have those bikes dialed in handling wise for sure

18. 418

418 Expert #59

This whole level the playing field thing doesn't really work. Just look at BSB, they have been doing the dumb down the rules thing for years now.

Big money teams are still up front.

henry_carlson likes this.
  19. 418

418 Expert #59

Corey Alexander lap one, race 2. Slideways.

vlcsnap-2021-05-23-18h37m57s769.png

henry_carlson likes this.
  20. noles19

I wasn't trying to find a even playing field just saying when you have to have bikes from a lower class bump up to fill the grid it's probably a good idea to figure something else out, and it's been like this for years now. The best teams always find a way to win that goes without saying

Senna likes this.