1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell is up with used truck prices?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, May 8, 2021.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep, and not even many issues any more.

2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes, did that with my 2014 Tundra 24' Enclosed. Was averaging 5MPG up each grade and screaming in the redline the whole time. Just bought a 2018 F350 diesel Lariat. Had to fly to another state to buy it but I got it. Tows my trailer like a dream compared to the Tundra..

3. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I just sold my '18 F-250 for $1k less than I paid for it 2 years and 20,000 miles ago. That's the closest I've ever come to making money on a vehicle! I don't currently have use for it and if I do again in a couple of years, hopefully prices will be reasonable again then and I can get another one.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

IMO, I am not sure how much the market will drop on these large trucks. Especially diesel. With the end of combustion engines in 2035, I see the market staying strong for these trucks and minimal depreciation.

5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So you spent $30g to save 10min and $50 on a 4hr drive a couple times a year? OK

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well, also towed a 28' offshore boat with the Tundra. Was going to get a new truck regardless. Everyone was telling me to buy the new F150. I didnt want to struggle with grades and shitty gas mileage pushing the limits of an engine. Especially if I buy another offshore boat. It was a no brainer for me. The Tundra was a great truck but I was always pushing the boundries of it. Plus, arent we just buying these for status symbols? lol.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Once you start towing grades regularly and pulling 15K lbs the diesel really shines through.

Resale is phenominal on them also if you're like me and knocking down 20k+ miles a year.

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

My issue wasn't power (Chevy 1500 5.3 V8) as much as it was chassis and brakes. We've got some decent grades out west, and I felt like I was relying on the trailer brakes too much and still getting pushed downhill. Undulations and bumps in the road would make the truck oscillate a ton. We get some insane winds in the desert, and my 1500 drove like a wet noodle in it (even with a sway bar and weight distribution hitch). The only issue I had with power was on certain uphill grades where I would have the pedal floored and could barely do 45mph. I was holding up semis and getting my doors ripped off by other motorists.

The 2500HD diesel is slightly overkill for my current toyhauler - upgrade pending next year - but it tows infinitely better than the 1500 in every aspect. People love to point out whether or not you 'need' an HD for a particular application. Doesn't change the fact that it tows better. Much more comfortable, safe, and easy ride for me and the family. Added bonus that what I paid for it brand-new in 2017 is what a nicely appointed 1500 goes for today!

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I have nothing of value to add...unless someone is interested in my '02 Lariat LE dually with a 7.3 PowerStroke. Just recently broken in, 104K miles! $50K and it's yours. :D
    (Gotta get me a XL SuperCab dually with the 7.3 Godzilla...no more diesels for me). ;)

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Thow in a bed full of plywood and you got yer'self a deal!

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

Already has one sheet in it....these negotiations are going well. :crackup:

shakazulu12 and YamahaRick like this.
  12. shakazulu12

I'm probably going gasser myself, 6.6 though. But looks like this chip shortage is going to delay that for a while. Already cashed out my other vehicle.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Is it all F series trucks?

My stepdad ordered an F150 a month or so ago and they've been telling him any day now. Well today, they told him August 7th at the earliest.

14. shakazulu12

All vehicles period. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Mercedes. You name it. They all use the same chips. Stuff is trickling in here and there. Ford has a parking lot full of trucks that are assembled, but don't run because they are missing chip modules. Apparently it's got so many cars in it you can see it from space now.

BigBird likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

Mine's available right now!
    If you make a deal in the next day or so, I'll throw in the stock airbox, all/any documentation, the second key and some tools to access the full-size spare! And there's more! Already installed: Panasonic AM/FM/CD/DVD player with remote, HuskyLiner for the front driver/passenger/tunnel floor, AFE intake, 4" downpipe and Magna-something exhaust!
    If you make a deal in the next 4 hours, I'll even throw in the HyperTech programmer that allows you to choose between four modes from towing to performance. These modes adjust shifting and fuel management for your individual tastes and desires. Blow that Cummins RAM right off the road!(Installed/uninstalled through the OBD port).
    And if that's not good enough, there's even more! A full set of Neeper Concept custom wheels in their original boxes...a $3K value!
    What a bargain!
    (PM now for your chance to pay well over twice what it's really worth).
    :D

16. shakazulu12

I'm not going to lie, everyone pays ridiculous amounts of money for those 7.3's. If it's clean, you may not be that far off:crackup:

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Maybe a 12V naturally aspirated... :Poke:

18. fastfreddie

My rearview says otherwise, at least on a comparable model year. Specifically, an '04.5 5.9(?)L with manual transmission. (Yes, he had an intake and obligatory obnoxious exhaust so, kinda even in mods).
    Starting about 45-50mph, he got the jump, by 70 mph he was behind so, :moon:.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So you’ve got a mall crawler with 3.08 gears doing a rolling start against a work truck with 4.10’s?

How ‘bout you and me line up from a dead stop with 3000# in the bed and see who makes it to highway speed quicker. :Poke: :Poke:

Specs: 2005 3500 DRW 5.9L w/ 6sp manual and 305k miles. :moon:

20. fastfreddie

I wouldn't call his a mall crawler. It's a pretty stout 2500. Don't know what gears but he tows heavy without complaint. Prolly goes over the rated capacity, gooseneck and/or tag. (More than what I'd subject my truck to).
    I wouldn't call mine a work truck neither, more of a leisure highway hauler - four leather captain's chairs, wood trim, blah-blah-blah...but, yeah, 4.10 gears.
    Central PA, any time...but I'd rather we go for our individual full payloads to make the comparison real. :D
    IIRC, I can put #4950 in my bed. You?