Holy S@#t the field is stacked @ the 2021 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I’m sure we have! Stop and say hey if you see me. Black/flo yellow Ape #17.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm confused here - if the rider moved after or while being passed by the first faster rider then they are at fault - holding your line is racing 101. From your description if they had held their line Brandon and Kyle would have passed without issue.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

'Sup Greggo? Hows the healing going?

LOL...Nancys...well Gertrude, the broadcast was saved by ONE aware fuck in the booth while the "other" one announced like a grammer school kid with a microphone handed to him for his first time. I agree that overall it was entertaining but don't hold your breath waiting for his next gig to emerge. :Poke:

4. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

im going to have to respectfully disagree. it’s embarrassing and kind of shitty he couldn’t seem to pronounce ANYONES name right. does a disservice to the participants.

and the bulk of their broadcast was not spot on. unless their game plan was to have one guy make wrong call after wrong call and the other guy correct him the entire broadcast, then well, they succeeded at that.

legend or not, he made a LOT of errors.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Couple of major differences -

Money. That kind of money every endurance and we'd change things drastically.

Length - the 200 does require stops yes but it's still more of a sprint race mentality due to the shorter length and the cash.

Classes - the 200 is one class, our endurances are 3. We also allow novice riders.

So basically going into a race like the 200 there is a very different expectation of the other riders compared to endurance racing. We have multiple classes with many skill levels so our faster more experienced riders know they should expect all sorts of odd things out there and react accordingly. When you've got just one class and supposed expert level racers you can expect them to act differently. Doesn't always happen of course but it is different.

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

For as long as I ever raced the GNF and Suzuki Cup Finals, Richard Chambers was the announcer. He was OK in the day, but as I listened to the broadcast the other day, its obvious he's not nearly as sharp. I know he's old now, but it was sad to hear him be as bad as he was. I didn't mind him back in the Cup days.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chambers ain't doing it for free and this is nothing remotely new with him... :crackup:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He only announced the Cup races, we always had our own announcers like Dreb for the rest of the stuff. We also always had a person with him to clarify names and such.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The track isn't exactly straight there and does bend to the right a bit before going back left and then running straight down to the horseshoe. As I stated earlier, in S turns, even if they are not sharp can always be a challenging guessing game when it comes to passing, as you never know when the person being passed is going to change direction unless you have been following them through there before.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was going solely off of the comment I've seen a couple of times that the rider being passed moved over after the first rider(s) got around them.

11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have to watch it back again to comment further. The rider didnt move much off memory, not enough to drastically change his line. I will try to rewatch and see.

12. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

It's one thing to say stupid shit like "he's bulldoggin' 'em. He says if you get in front of me I'll just run ya over!"

It's another thing to not even know which rider is on the screen and announce who's passing into what position incorrectly. I legitimately didn't know what was going on several times.

turbulence likes this.
  13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

So much love for American motorcycle racing in this thread. :D

969 likes this.
  14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I love my wife and have no intentions of ever breaking up. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t appreciate a few changes in a positive direction and honestly if she feels the exact same way about me that’s perfect. I think we all love American Motorcycle Racing and that is why we care enough to talk about some changes that might make it better. There’s thousands of things on tv that suck and I wouldn’t waste a moment’s thought on any of them.

I thought the 200 was great!!!

MELK-MAN and grasshopper like this.
  15. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought watching BP time his last lap pass trumped anything they said during the commentary. I didn't watch for the announcers... What an awesome race!

MELK-MAN, AC1108 and mpusch like this.
  16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

You know that saying... " We arent friends unless I am insulting you on a daily basis".... Also loved the comment about how we are just bored and finally have fresh racing to talk about!

R1M370 likes this.
  17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Thought for a second you were posting in the wrong thread.

MachineR1 and Yzasserina like this.
  18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I can't argue with that. Honestly, once it became apparent he had the outright speed to close the gap and make it a race at the end, every lap from the last stop was incredible. His patience and race craft were far beyond his years. The first stint up to the red flag was good too. The middle part with Barney in the mix was racey as well.
    With the talent entered and most of them on good equipment, it was promising to be a good race and it delivered.

19. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it yet, was Hobbs up front and Chambers thought he was Landers?

20. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Yes...

He also thought Brando Crash or Bunter Lass or Sean Dylan Paasch was in the lead when he was clearly in 3rd... Announcing sucked, dude needs to give it up. At least Robbie Floyd gets the names right.