1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexico is calling... and I must answer

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 12, 2021.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I think I see your investment issues. :Poke::D

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Huh? What?

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

FZ1 -- A new beer from Cuauhtemoc. Solid effort.

motion likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

He is currently at our place which has been awesome and is heading back to NYC April 1st when his new lease starts. Last summer when their lease ended the boys all went back to their parents because NYC was shut down and they could save some money.

They thought it would only be a couple months. Now they are tired of parents and want to go have some fun again. He really likes NYC and will be there for at least 3-5 more years and if he settles down with a girl out there probably much longer.

The entire month of January the roommates and a bunch of other friends rented a nice place in Miami, high rise with ocean and bay views and had a blast.

BigBird and motion like this.
  5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

2 months and 8,050 miles. Palenque was really cool, Tulum was very nice, Oaxaca was nice, the one place that was to amazing was a tiny beach and a Hotel El Copal. Few other places that were awesome. All in the south. I found north mexico to be less fun.

motion likes this.
  6. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Were going down to baja at the end of the this month on a Raptor run - super excited . I’d join you if I wasn’t already burning up 2 weeks on this trip . Were Doing off road crisscrossing baja -
    It’s never felt unsafe .

motion likes this.
  7. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I started a ride report on ADVRider but it was a bit distracting so I stopped after about two weeks. I kept posting occasional photos on ista https://www.instagram.com/sconniertw/. Hostal Olas Altus in Manzanillo was great. Cheap and right on the beach. One thing to keep in mind is that people always think the other place is more dangerous. The people in Chihuahua told me to avoid Chiapas, the people in Chiapas couldn't believe I went to Chihuahua because its so dangerous. The American media make it sound like anyone who goes to Sinaloa would be slaughtered. All those places were filled with great people.

Places I would recommend in Mexico:
    -Hostal Olas Altas in Manzanillo was great. Cheap and right on the beach.
    -Go to Creel and Copper Canyon. The giant zip line was fun, but I would have enjoyed more riding if I was on a smaller bike. La Troje de Adobe was a cool hotel with a very nice owner who let me park my bike locked in his gated yard at his house.
    -The old highway 40 from Durango to Mazatlan was great. The ride into Durango from the north on 23 through Santiago Papasquiaro is also great.
    -200 along the coast is all good.
    -Oaxaca and San Cristobal de las Casas should be on your list.

Guatemala is great, recomendations:.
    -Need to do the mayan ruins in the north, Tikal is awesome, Yaxhu is less developed so you can have the place to yourself. Stayed in El Remate at Mon Ami, it was right on the lake with a great swimming pier.
    -Semuc Champey is one of the more spectacular places I've been in the world. Highway 5 will get you there, but the pavement ends in the mountains and its baby head rocks and other crap for 50km not the best on a heavy bike.
    -go to Antigua and stay at the Bikers Lodge (mototours). good guys, had a lot of fun drinking with them during the dry weekend for their presidential election.

I'd be happy to talk about more options, not sure getting past Guatemala and back to the states in 6 weeks is really doable.

I did the Stahlratte and it was great. took a couple days to get to Cartegena stopping in the San Blas islands. There were 23 riders on the boat from all over the world. There was even a Chinese guy that didn't speak any English or Spanish and just used a translator device. I ended up riding on and off with through South America with a German and a brit that I met on the boat. Unfortunately, Ludwig has decided to retire so the Stahlratte is no longer sailing.

K51000, BigBird, opinion914 and 2 others like this.
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I only have experience with Otay Mesa, but zero lines heading south and, I can't emphasize this enough, LANE SPLIT HEADING NORTH. Everyone expects it and moves out of the way. The Border Patrol will make a slot for you up front. I know that you have the experience from riding in CA, but for a PNW guy it was a revelation and blessing.

And I got your response, totally get it. Have fun and be cool, everything is awesome south of the border. There are lots of little motorcycle shops in every metro area (of the few that we visited) that have tubes and sparkplugs and whatever else you need to get home. And Napa and auto zones and etc are pretty well represented.

BigBird and motion like this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

And if you have room - Bring little toys and whatnot to give to kids. They love the stuff we bring (little toy motorcycles, American candy, etc). See if you can visit any orphanages. We missed visiting one, but we met the director and made a small donation (to me) which was a huge benefit to them.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's inconvenient. As far south as I've made it is San Luis Potosi. May be time to blow the dust off the Multi...

11. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

My sister just moved to Guatemala and my good friend lives in Mexico City now. Might be time to throw some dual sport tires and big tall ugly windshield on the FZ07 this June/July.

BigBird likes this.
  12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago my brothers friend was driving back to San Diego from Rosarito in his pickup truck.
    I believe it was an early Monday morning around 5am, he got pulled over.
    The guy tells him to get outta the truck, gimme your truck..... Taylor said fuck no. Dude jams Taylor in the face with the butt of a machine gun.
    Taylor leans over onto passenger seat and hits the gas pedal. Dude with machine gun sprays the truck as he takes off.
    I counted 8 bullet holes in driver side of truck, 3 on tail gate and 1 which went thru driver side headrest....luckily Taylor had laid down as he'd most certainly be crammed in a barrel somewhere in Baja today.
    His face is an absolute mess.

He made it home to Mission Beach and showed up to his worksite before heading to hospital.

Kray Kray shit.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks for all that great info, its going to keep me busy. I'm starting to lean towards more like 8-10 weeks.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Damn. Anything around TJ can be sketchy, for reals.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Holler at me.

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nah, bro... Your weed got a haint!

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

IMG-20210209-WA0004.jpg I'm working here in Barra de Navidad till April and will be on the east cape till may/ June. It's funny how people always stereotype Mexico of being a super dangerous place based on some hyped up Media stories. There are some shitty towns like TJ that should be avoided though. Hit me up if you're in my area and maybe go fishing. Pic from 2 nights ago anchored out and this guy showed up in the underwater lights

Attached Files:

cha0s#242 and motion like this.
  19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

What kinda fish is that?

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.