1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexico is calling... and I must answer

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow this sounds awesome, since you know your way around and have done many of these trips. Someday I hope to do one of these with you.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It would be great to do a trip with our boys. Gotta make it happen before life gets in the way.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Richard, I hope you have better luck on this trip than you do "investing" in stocks. Be careful!

motion likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I wholly plan on this trip being paid for by my HCMC, VPER, SLV, CDE, AG, BTC, Chainlink, etc. I can dream, right?

BigBird likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Is your life insurance paid up? Asking for the wife of a (virtual) friend ... she needs a garage built for her car.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Oh shit, LOL. FWIW, I cleared a space for her MBZ in the garage for the winter. Slingshots and motorbikes are being stored elsewhere. But the MBZ is enjoying SoCal at the moment.

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Been a few years since I was out there for work, but Otay pretty much always had the smaller lines going into MX and coming back, unless there was an accident that diverted folks. Had a customer down in Tecate shortly after that. That was the easiest time I ever had going into MX and coming back. Hardly any auto traffic and less people just walking across.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I heard recently that everybody who goes to Mexico dies, so go at your own risk.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Nah...they just think they're dead and all they did was drink the water.

cha0s#242 and motoracer1100 like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

That would be great. Not sure when Ty could do it, they work them like a dog in investment banking. With Covid they have been working so many hours at home, that the company just passed a rule, they now get Friday night from 3pm until Saturday at noon off.

He did just get a promotion which starts in June, so there maybe a few less hours working? I think he said they get 4 weeks off this summer to recharge before starting the new job? I know for the past 3 years they supposedly get 1 protected weekend a month to not work, but if you are on a deal that needs worked, you often still put in some work on your protected weekend.

On Father’s Day we met some friends at a kart track to ride minis, and it was awesome. He had to bring his laptop and worked but did get out on the track 2 times. The good news is he is young and in another 3-5 years he should be able to parlay this into something else and probably never have to worry about money too much.

BigBird and motion like this.
  11. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Jesus, that sounds almost criminal. Hopefully he gets paid well.

thread related, this trip sounds badass.. following along, post updates!

12. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

yeah. Up to prudhoe bay, got my feet wet in the Arctic Ocean and then down to Ushuaia. Took 8 months.

BigBird, vfrket, SoCal1000 and 5 others like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

He gets paid very well, makes more than I ever have, and is only 24. Good news is he knew going in it was a lot of hard work, and in another 2-3 years if he wants to stay for his next promotion it will be VP. Evidently that is the sweet spot with less work for good pay. I think the promotions after that are much harder to get and require a lot of travel, but not too sure.

turbulence and motion like this.
  14. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

$50 per day is definitely doable. My hotels and Hostals were usually around $10-15 per night. Gas and food were probably the same. Just depends on how much beer. The thing that got me a bit was bike maintenance costs after having some problems due to a shop in California screwing the bike up.

motion likes this.
  15. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

This is my trip across Mexico a few year back. About 60 days on a FZ1, half the time two up. PM me if you have any questions, although things may have changed a bit since.

[​IMG]

Phl218, BigBird, MachineR1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Most everything above Mexico city sucked, almost everything south of MC was awesome.

motion likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's nuts! I know Tyler is a smart kid and he's obviously busting his ass, so I'm sure it will pay off for him. Will he be heading back to the west coast, or is it NYC from here on out?

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Wow, epic. Documented anywhere? Did you pay the $1,000 to get your bike around the Gap on a boat?

Also, if you know of any awesome affordable beach shacks, I'd like some intel. Would be great to find some here and there to hang at for several days.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's the main concern for me, too. KLRs are pretty bulletproof, but you never know. I'll be bringing a ton of spares.... tubes, cables, sprockets, etc.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Dude, that is awesome. Looks like around 3,000 miles? What kind of beer?

As mentioned above, if you have any intel on cheap awesome beach shacks, lemme know.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021