1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

An orange oleo saccharum in an old fashioned? I don’t know how I’ve never heard of that but it’s a great idea, I’m going to give it a try. It seems like it would add orange flavor to the drink instead of the usual oil on top giving you the aromatics. Sounds really good though.

2. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

A bastardized one, but yes - same principal!

I rarely have oranges on hand for that fresh slice/warm-up/spritz so this way I get a similar result thats shelf stable in the cooler and cuts down on the prep time when I'm jonesing for a night cap.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

OP, well done, you got me, and I hate you

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My haul from our trip to Kentucky about a month ago.

Came home with 3 bottles of Blanton’s including a Gold from overseas.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Where in the heck did you find green label Weller? I'm in the epicenter of this bourbon explosion and I can't find it.

6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Where I am green label was all we were getting for a while, I prefer red - Antique. Loved the old labels, hate the new.

7. rd400racer

I've searched damn near every large store around Louisville and no one ever has any green label (or red). It's a damn unicorn and it's made 20 miles away. Maybe I need to check the mom and pop liquor stores.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The first time I saw it in a long time was when doing the KAT. I had to drive to the VA border to find KY bourbon.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Why not go to the distillery?

They had it the day we were there as well as several stores down off Bardstown road in Louisville.

I found 3-5 bottles of it while I was looking for the Hershey Porter Yuengling makes.

10. rd400racer

If it was riding weather I'd probably head to Bardstown as you suggested, but I'll check the Bardstown Rd stores...that's just down the road from my office. Truth is I don't look too hard; Old Fo 1910 is perfectly fine with me. But the green label Weller is one smooth bourbon. Thanks for the tip.

cpettit likes this.
  11. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

12. Tim_B730

Tim_B730 Active Member

Since everyone is pluggin everything under the sun, I'll go ahead and plug something that is very near and dear to me. It's currently only in four states, KY (obviously), PA, NJ, DE & NY.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.threekeysdistillery.com/
    [​IMG]

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I've been wanting to try this since I saw they sponsored Tuna at the Indy MotoAmerica round. They bought him a drum of race fuel. It's easy to want to support a local business that supports the sport I love.

rd400racer likes this.
  14. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I looked on their website but couldn't find a distributor in NJ, any idea where I can find this info?

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I looked too, didn't the distiller offer shipping?

16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I didn’t read the whole thread, but if no one’s mentioned Jefferson’s, check it out. The casks are loaded onto a freighter and then set to sail. Supposedly, the rocking of the ship in the water provides the correct flavor, which is pretty damned good. Plus, the label shows average temperature, humidity &etc.

I give it 187 Plarps.

GM GIXXER likes this.
  17. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Yeah you about killed me with all the Blanton's, I cant find it anywhere..

Blanton's neat..Happy! Has a horse on it, nuff said.

stk0308 likes this.
  18. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Not all Jefferson's go out to the ocean. Only the ones labeled with a voyage. It is indeed excellent.

19. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

So, what are some other good wheated bourbons? I usually drink rye but I'm really starting to like the smoother wheated bourbons. I've had Pappy once but there's no way to buy it, or even desire spend that kind of money on a bottle. I'll say it was probably the smoothest bourbon I've ever had. Makers Mark has been my go to lately for Manhattans if I'm out for dinner since everywhere has that, but I'm sure there's some better options for home consumption. I'll have to see if I can find some of that Weller Special Reserve.

20. rd400racer

https://www.themanual.com/food-and-drink/best-wheated-bourbons/

Sprinky and GM GIXXER like this.