I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

For $300, why not?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

He mentioned to me that it could also shoot a .38 round but that was for sissies :crackup:

3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been looking at reviews and videos of usage for both, although I looked at the Kilo1600s, not the 2200. I don't really need the BDX though. From my understanding the BDX is just their digital system of pairing up with their BDX scopes so the range finder inputs data automatically into the scope. I'm not using a Sig scope, nor do I plan on getting one, so that feature would be a total waste for me.

4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Indeed...but once you've unloaded it or confirmed that it's not loaded there's no reason to live in fear of it lol Not saying you should be sucking on the barrel or something, but once it's empty it's all good. His statement of "all weapons are loaded and ready to fire, even when disassembled" made zero sense.

Exactly. The only two weapons I keep loaded are the ones not in cases, for the just-in-case home defense use. My ruger sits by my nightstand. Sometimes days or weeks go by without touching it so when I do take it out, I sometimes forget if it is loaded or not since it's been a while, so it's nice to be able to just look at it and know instantly if there's a round in the chamber or not. Just speeds things up and makes it more convenient.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In my house, pistols are loaded and long guns are not. That means that I still check every time to see whether it is loaded or not no matter what it is but I can just grab the closest pistol and know it will be ready. My wife knows to not move or unload any of the pistols, ever.

I am going to get a very small .22 lr automatic to just have in my pocket around my property or when I am out working in the garage. I am very much leaning toward the Taurus PT22, since it is about as big as I want to go. This is not an opportunity for any of you to suggest a different caliber or size, since I already have bigger in both caliber and size for other uses, but I am open to suggestions other than the Taurus (or Beretta Bobcat) in the same size(ish). Does anybody have thoughts on the double barrel derringers? I will really never need more than 2 fast shots.

6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I’m interested in those Bond derringers but I haven’t handled one yet, I’d be interested in opinions on that also.

7. I have to think he was playing off the whole "treat every gun as if it is loaded" rule of thumb with some reductio ad absurdum (logical fallacy of extending an argument to ridiculous proportions). In other words, he was being sarcastic. :D

As far as the state of readiness, it all comes down to personal preference. Personally, I don't keep one in the chamber on any of them (excluding the revolver, obviously). I have the magazine fully loaded, but a round isn't chambered. It takes maybe 0.3sec to chamber a round, and it can be done while in the motion of picking up the gun to aim it (I practice it a lot).

K51000 and sbk1198 like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

No, there’s no reductio ad absurdum there.

It’s the attitude. It’s the respect. It’s appreciating the gravity of what you’re handling and treating it with the caution and respect it demands in order to maintain safety.

Every weapon. Every time. You pull the slide to check the breech. You set the weapon down, next time you pick it up you pull the slide and check the breech.

Or you be cavalier and indifferent and someone gets hurt or killed.

Safe firearms handling is a mindset. You don’t have it, I don’t want to be anywhere near you when firearms are being handled.

blkduc and Steeltoe like this.
  9. Umm, ok. I get that, and I am pretty sure everyone else does also. Climb off your high horse a little bit.

sbk1198 and MachineR1 like this.
  10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My nephew shot himself in the dick with an unloaded weapon. True story.

11. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

OUCH!

12. pickled egg

What high horse, Captain Squirrel?

I choose also not to be around people shooting up or kicking animals. Is that a low enough horse for you, almighty one?

13. Perhaps "high horse" wasn't the right choice of words. My point was, we get it...and I didn't see anyone trying to argue/discredit that point. I imagine that's the first thing damn near everyone is told the first time they are given a gun, of any kind. Hell that was pounded into my head when I was 5 years old and given a BB gun.

Hell, I have even pounded it into the wife's head, and she has never touched a gun. She knows to always assume mine are loaded, cocked, and ready to fire.

It would be like if I went into a thread about brake pads, and kept going on about the importance of maintaining your braking system. You'd be like "dude, we get it.".

sbk1198 likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You would think so, but...

I was in WV a couple of years ago with my son and a couple of his hockey buddies. One of them has a dad and one brother that are cops and his other brother is FBI. So you would have thought that this kid grew up with a firearm in his hand. I gave each of them a bolt action and my usual quick speech about gun safety and we head up the hill. I told them before we headed up to always keep the rifle barrel aimed at the sky and keep the safety on until you were ready to fire, but I saw that this kid was holding his down and it was right in the vicinity of my leg (by the way, these weren't kids but 20+ year old's). I said dammit Squid (his nickname), I told you to keep the barrel up. He maneuvers his rifle up and BANG, the goddamn thing goes off. Dipshit was carrying with the safety off and his finger on the trigger.

But the truth is that I'm the dipshit. I should expect that every person I hand a firearm to doesn't know jack shit, despite their upbringing. Just letting your guard down one time might be your last.

galloway840 and Gorilla George like this.
  15. lizard84

Cut him some slack, with the covid-19 slowdown he’s been furloughed from his main gig as a couples counselor, he’s a bit stressed.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. pickled egg

Like Kelley said.

Seen far too much stupid from otherwise seemingly functional adults to not get my 32’ extension ladder out to climb on my high horse of firearms safety.

Like I said, I have a PHILOSOPHICAL problem with chambered round indicators. They make people complacent. They break safe handling procedure habits. If when I hand you a weapon the first thing you do after pointing the muzzle in a safe direction isn’t to open the slide and inspect the breech, I’ll never hand you a weapon again.

You work in an industry where complacency and cutting corners costs lives. If anyone was gonna get it, you’re the one I expected would.

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

upload_2020-4-23_9-49-16.jpeg

I agree with boiled egg and others that gun safety is a mind set.

blkduc and lizard84 like this.
  18. pickled egg

Pfft.

Bob squibbed that one. Hope he clears the barrel before he squeezes off another round.

19. lizard84

So do I , I told him to cut him some slack.

20. Trust me dude, I get it. And I don't disagree, not in the slightest.