Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you didn't go with the line by Yeats.

2. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

You and me both, not sure how you stack em that deep! I didn't mean to imply that situation was unique to NY or even it was the most extreme example. It might be the most common though.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

The point is, the sky is not falling and far greater people will live. Take precautions the best you can to manage your own individual risk. I can’t control what’s happens after that. People die each and every day - So, unfortunately when or if it does happen here - My conscience is clear. Life goes on.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    cav115 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

you know who's easy to control with fear?

the people.

hope that wasn't too political.

cav115 likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

NC

763 cases, 3 deaths. 15,136 tested.

cav115 likes this.
  6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I don't really view that as political, but more a statement of fact. That's how society has worked since the beginning. I'm not saying things like a previous post, that more people will die from this than in all previous wars combined. I'm not trying to promote fear, and believe this can be managed with some intelligent precautions. Both of my companies are still operating, though I've got half the office staff remote to reduce density in the workspace. We are disinfecting constantly, and doing hourly spot checks for employees temps, and reviewing how they're feeling. Staggered lunch and breaks. None of these things are based in fear, but rather scientific evidence. But. I've had a few people whom I've made go home, who refused to wash their hands, refused to cover their mouths if they coughed, basically refused to take any precaution. Is that fear? Not in my mind. I'd like to not get sick, and if I can't get them to follow some basic common courtesy, then they can pound sand.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope.

Are you ignoring the posts that I've made in this thread about anything positive? I've made mention about drug therapies that appear to be working, about vaccines going into trials, when Italy's day over day death totals had started to decrease....as well as several other things.

You can certainly pick and choose what you want to read as well, but I've posted things from both side of the fence.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

He’s giving Ryoung a run for his insanely high intelligence.

pickled egg likes this.
  9. That isn't what was stated in the video I watched yesterday. What I took from the video is that they are essentially trying to make it seem better than what it is, by only counting it as a Covid case if the person is actually tested and found positive.

It is horrible. To think it isn't is silly.

But with that being said, actually the tons of people who have it but aren't counted makes it seem even worse. It is already horrible, even without those people being counted. The fact that the true number is actually even higher makes it worse.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Ryoung showed up at the dungeon anex. He's still as smart as ever, just ask him.

13. It isn't "made up", at least not by me. I put links to it earlier in the thread when this discussion came up the first time.

Most experts agree the rate of transmission is around 2.5x that of influenza (anywhere between 2-3, depending on which article you read), due to the longer incubation period, and people being contagious while asymptomatic.

14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Anything that happening at this scale is almost impossible to discuss without wading in to those waters. It's life and how we life.

Phl218 and scottn like this.
  15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I’m with a large (for a state level) system, nearly 30,000 employees. The level of cross infection is unprecedented in my experience (37+years) clinical staff, administrative staff, service staff, this despite a great infection control record and heightened precautions.

We’ve never had to engineer wholesale changes to floors (converting floors to negative pressure wards)

That’s where we’re at, modifying duct, adding large exhaust fans , extra cooling coils to compensate for 100% makeup air, ICRA walled antirooms for same entry and exit, decontamination areas.

Whatever one’s opinion, at our level in our area this what we’re dealing with. This is not just another flu season for us.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  16. Having talked to a couple of guys (unfortunately in my company, but fortunately for me, I haven't seen either of them in a few months) who are sick with it, I am sure they have a much different opinion.

One of them is mid 30's, the other one is probably early 40's. He looks younger than that and is in good health otherwise (we used to workout together at work), but I am sure he said he turned 40 a couple of years ago. So they aren't "young" per se, but they aren't elderly either.

Of course experiences vary, and some people might only get a runny nose. But these two dudes have been bed ridden for 1 week and almost 2 weeks respectively, not sleeping at all, cant breath, and dealing with some of the worst body pain they have ever experienced. One dude said "imagine trying to breath with someone's hand covering your mouth...but every time you strain to take a breath, it makes your whole body hurt worse".

I am sure (and they both think) they will eventually pull out of it ok. Neither of them considers it fatal. But definitely sucks ass.

Senna and cav115 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only 5% of tested have it. Interesting.

18. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Not disputing you but rather want to understand. If this is not an airborne thing, why the negative pressure requirement?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell, I think that is exactly how it should be every year for all the different viruses people ignore.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.