1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shingles, who's had it?

Discussion in 'General' started by se3 racer, Oct 30, 2019.

1. se3 racer

se3 racer Active Member

Not the type on your roof.
    Any words of wisdom to ease the suffering? How long will it suck etc???

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Not much you can do...

Don't scratch it.

beac83 likes this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Get to the doctor ASAP.

I went the morning I started having symptoms, only because a family member had shingles earlier in the year and the topic was fresh on my mind. I diagnosed myself and the doctor confirmed it and gave me the anti-virus treatment (I forgot what it was.)

It was excruciating for a day or two, but only lasted about a week. The doctor said it would have lasted a lot longer if I hadn't seen him that day.

My relative delayed treatment, and was severely affected for several months, and had tenderness in that area for the rest of her life.

<edit> Out of curiosity, are you over 50?

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Had it once when I was 30 (weird). It was all down my back and neck. I'd say the worst part was the first 2 or 3 weeks. It took probably 6 to 8 weeks to go away, could still see them for several months.

I didnt think it was too painful for me personally considering all the horror stories. But it was very annoying. None of the meds did Jack either. Just ride it out and wear loose fitting shirts. Try to relax and no stress as that makes it worse. Good luck.

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Everyone go to their MD and get the shingles shot

You don't want this breakout. It's a virus that stays with you forever

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you have had the chicken pox you already have the virus and it's with you forever.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I had my first case of shingles right after I had chicken pox in 7th grade. The first bout felt like someone had broken my ribs. I’ve had it come back a few times as an adult and usually will get a small outbreak on my chin. My wife did some research after I would treat with Neosporin and it would take a few weeks to heel. Now I use a compound of baking soda and coconut oil. It heals in a week. You want to get a sore healed as soon as possible or it can create nerve damage and it hurts.

8. se3 racer

se3 racer Active Member

I am 45.
    Felt sick like mild flu for a few days, then my left shoulder started to hurt. Felt just like a pinched nerve with pain down my arm. Today, raindrops hitting my arm felt like bee stings and the rash appeared on my shoulder / back. Went to urgent care tonight and was given the antiviral drug, oral steroid, gabapentin and pain meds. Was told it will get worse before it gets better and the rash will probably come down my arm following the nerve dermatome. So far it sucks!

9. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Shit is no joke! Hurts like hell. Had them on my side bout 4 years ago. It scared where I had them. Seamed like it lasted couple weeks for me.

Quicktoy likes this.
  10. Quicktoy

We’ll be thinking about ya. Get a baggie or a bottle whatever is your choice and just try to make the time go by.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Be careful on gabapentin. Depending on dosage, it can really wreck your sense of balance and make getting out of bed in the mornings a hazard. If you have stairs in your daily life, be sure and use the handrail.

beac83 likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Funny this came up tonight. I had a customer in yesterday, he's 70, said he got shingles last summer, had a bitch of a time getting it knocked down and now he's got nerve damage in his back and is having to wear a brace. I had no idea it could be that serious.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shit, I thought to cure that you only had to swipe left on Shtinder.....

(Bad, I know...)

969, badmoon692008 and G 97 like this.
  14. Quicktoy

Very serious. I jump on healing immediately to stop it because I’ve got minor damage and it hurts daily.

15. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There are prescription anti-virals you can get from your doc that will curtail the spread and limit the time of an outbreak. Famvir worked well for me, the others are Valtrex and Zovirax. The sooner you get on the anti-viral, the less pain and damage the shingles outbreak will cause.

The Prednisone and Gabapentin are to limit inflammation (Prednisone) and limit pain (neuropathy) from nerve damage (Gabapentin). The nerve pain is like tingling, or electricity or shards of glass being poked into you. The other pain comes from touching (or any pressure on) the blisters or sores. Scratching the sores can spread the outbreak to other parts of your body or to others (the virus gets on your fingers/under your fingernails).

THE FASTER YOU SEE YOUR DOC OR URGENT CARE PLACE, THE BETTER OFF YOU WILL BE.

Once the shingles are cleared, there is a two-shot vaccine called Shingrix that will supposedly prevent a recurrence. The vaccine makes your arm sore for a week or two, but much better than ever having another outbreak of shingles.

I've been down the road a few times, including once on my optic nerve. The discomfort of the vaccine shots is nothing to prevent a new outbreak.

Edit: Glad you got the anti-virals. Hope it helps clear the shingles quickly.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    ducnut and Quicktoy like this.
  16. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

My grandads was like this for months. He couldn’t lay down and was miserable. Anything touching his back was like needles pricking him. He has permanent scarring and nerve damage from him. It will mess you up mentally.

17. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Had a outbreak at 53 yoa, Started in my scalp and progressed down the bridge of my nose towards my right eye. Came really close to spreading to eye. Used a high dollar gel in and around my eye to keep it from spreading. Painful as hell and was a bitch in the shower. Very well could have lost the vision in my eye. Thank goodness my eye doc caught it early.

Shingles is no joke!

beac83 likes this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I keep putting off getting that vaccine.

No more. Thanks OP. (not sure if it is much consolation, though)

exracer941, Quicktoy and ducnut like this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. Was a mother Fer. Got it when I was 28 exposed from my nephew who had chicken pox. Not aware of any thing other than pain / comfort management. Crazy.

20. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Just make sure if you get a shingles vaccine to get The Shingrix vaccine. There are two types available and the Shingrix is way more effective. Like 97% effective. The other vaccine not so much. The Shingrix vaccine is two separate shots given 60 days apart. I just got my second injection

YamahaRick, auminer and Quicktoy like this.