Ebike diy conversions

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Aug 22, 2019.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

i ran across Dillenger conversion kits. Anyone have experience with them? I’m looking at the 1000w rear hub kit for an old road bike I have. I need the exercise but the hills around here kill me being an old fat fart.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have a friend who converts his own bikes. I thought that he was on the board but I can't find his handle. Let me know if you want his email and I'll try to get you all in touch with each other.

Late edit: His handle is @dakh if you want to message him through the board.

3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

1000w is a lot.
    Friend of mine just did a conversion with a 500w motor. I will ask more about it next time I see him, but he seems happy with it.

It does add quite a bit of weight to the bike though.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was out on the trail (just a flat running/biking trail) the other day and had a flat. I'm poking along really slow trying to make it back to the truck because the tire isn't totally deflated and because I'm a dumbass for leaving my patch kit on my other bike, when I hear "on your left - hey looks like you're tire's going flat" as this fat fucker flies by me at really high speed. I try to yell at him but he's wearing headphones and moving way too fast. As he disappears into the distance, I'm thinking to myself "how is a guy that fat in such good shape that he can go so fast?". A little while later I catch up to him when he's stopped at a scenic lookout. Asshole was on an E-bikeo_O

5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Why were you going to yell at the guy? He not only gave you a heads up and even took the time to warn you about your tire.

Cannoli likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:Pop: I'm waiting for a response.

rafa likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I already knew it was going flat. I was trying to get his attention to ask if he had a pump.

And I was going to ask him if he’d be willing to send a dick pic to @speedluvn

rafa likes this.
  8. speedluvn

You know its suspect asking for dick pictures, DEEP in the woods on a trail . . . for a friend, right? That's worst then toe tapping at an airport men's restroom stall.

Chris and Cannoli like this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

^^^The voice of experience

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. ton

ton Arf!

Right?! I'm learning about all kinds of "tricks" i didn't even know existed.

also,

worse. than.

11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Alright. Some schooling needs to be done here. Motors aren’t really limited to certain watt rating. The controllers are.

So you can have a 500w motor and a better controller and pump serious amperage through it. 10 years ago I converted my mountain bike to ebike for commute.

Chinese kit, 750w motor, aftermarket programmable controller. Went from a 24v battery setup to up to 75v. Max speed in 75v configuration was 80km/h. Certain amperage draw setting would pump as much as 5kw into that motor. Short bursts it’s fine.

For normal commute I had it in 48v battery config and that gave me 50km/h cruising speed.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Me every time someone says kmh instead of mph and I have to convert it.
    [​IMG]

badmoon692008, TurboBlew and 5axis like this.
  13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Join the rest of the world mang.

Join the

14. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

[​IMG]

Rebel635 and rafa like this.
  15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Ride a bicycle or ride a motorcycle. :D

16. baconologist

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

some clydesdales are faster than they look...lol. Our local dealer is kind of a husky guy, not in the best of shape... and he said he could give cat 1 & 2 guys a pretty good head start and run them down.
    I havent seen a "really" fast guy on an E-bike at any of my local trails. I hear threats of folks borrowing one... especially on the 4.5 mile pedalthon segment. Avg speed for the top 5 guys is ~10.0 mph. Avg watts is 70 with an time of under 20 mins. I really believe those guys ain't showing what they can really do since all the times are within 20 seconds of each other.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't know what any of that means:crackup: This guy was obviously using more electric and less leg.

19. baconologist

Well technically......

20. speedluvn

Are you sure you had a flat or did you hear this Clydesdale chasing you down on a single speed pedal bike (no electric motor :rolleyes:) and you had nothing left! I’m asking for a friend :Poke:

Cannoli and TurboBlew like this.