1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Hauler Vs. Enclosed Trailer with pop out

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Dr.Duct_Mossbur, Jun 23, 2019.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

8.5 x 20? That's not a trailer, that's a mobile garage!

I liked hearing your opinion on carpeted walls. Silence is golden.
    Is that turf style indoor/outdoor or pile? Would you choose some other type if you were to do it again?

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you go to their FB page and into their photo gallery, go all the way toward the bottom and you’ll see construction photos from their plant floor. You can see the overlapping, welding, extrusions, etc. If you don’t care that much about specifics, just look at the interior shots of the animal trailers.

motorkas, Great info and nice trailer. I’m currently in a 7’X12’ V-nose and have been looking at a 7’X16’ V-nose, after considering an 8.5’X20’. Maybe, I’ll revisit the larger trailer, again.

3. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Not going to lie - last time I was at the track, I was seriously considering rolling a bike in there to work on it so I could work in the AC. . .:D. Honestly don't know what type of carpet went up, measured it out and went to Home Depot and had them cut their grey and black indoor outdoor carpet to size and then put it up. A friend gave me the idea of putting the silver carpet stays to connect it. Would only do two things differently: 1) I would use the strongest 3m spray adhesive (went one step down from strongest and had to reapply adhesive - I was worried about it bonding too quickly and being in a position of being a fail meme - for some odd reason, couldn't shake the image of my hand stuck to the wall with carpet stuck to my body) and 2) wear my spray mask - I didn't - the overspray is still adhesive. . .and sticks to the hair in your nose something awful - fortunately no way to take that picture for a fail meme. . .:crackup:

Thanks man, the only thing I miss about the 7 x 16 is that is definitely easier to tow (although if you go aluminium, it shouldn't be as bad - I think I'm over 4000lbs empty). Makes all the difference in the world for all that what we do: loading and unloading is way easier, gear and equipment placement is easier, mobility inside when full packed is easier, and the space premium is more noticeable in that you dont have to stack everything on top of each other to make it work. For me, I can get a little OCD about time wasters so all that ease drops time all over the place and added up over the course of a season (let alone multiple seasons) the time savings on all those fronts more than justifies the size. The biggest surprise was being able to throw that queen size mattress with bed frame in there and still have room - when I got it, I was already researching DIY murphy beds - having that bed in there down all the time is killer - can't tell you how many times on hot days I just walk in and lay down in full leathers right under the AC and cool off. You can barely see it in the last pic, but that's a fridge right next to the bed as well. Being able to leave it there at all times and not have it enter your thought process when your arrive (or when you have to leave) also pays for itself. . .it's like tire warmers - or anything else we throw at the bikes - just one less thing to think about. . .

When we go to Barber and Jennings (I'm in DC) its my trailer that gets used - last time we had 4 full sized bikes, 2 groms, all of our gear for 4 people (we put their stands in the bed of the truck) and the only thing I had to do was flip the mattress up under the cabinets and break down the bed frame and tie it down to the front of the trailer. Even when rolling solo (which is 95% of time) the extra room just gives "psychological space". . .unless I had a car, I think 24 feet is over kill, I think this is the sweet spot (especially if you bring multiple bikes with you the track). If it was one bike and I knew it would always be one bike - I'd do 7x16; once it gets to two big bikes and a pit bike - I think it's the perfect size (so many advantages with only one draw back, and even that draw back is not bad - it's just worse than the 7x16) - I have a 6.7 crew cab, short bed diesel as a tow vehicle FYI.

ducnut likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'll check out the Featherlite photos in more detail later...been surfin' on their site for the last hour.

Amen to ease of loading/unloading/time savings. I can't tell you how many cobwebs have been shattered in my brain from all the internal screaming when tripping over all the BS that gets thrown into my trailer. It makes me crazy...

ducnut likes this.
  5. jfirms

jfirms Member

Do you find the tipout sleeper to be too noisy? This is exactly what I'm looking for, thinking about pulling the trigger this summer

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This is what I've been running for the last 2.5 years. ATC 8.5x20' 2017 model that I bought as a dealer unit. Has most every option I would have wanted, and they got me into it for what I would have paid for a leftover 2016 unit from out of state.

Pros:
    • Incredible build quality. Feels like stepping into a bomb shelter compared to most of the flimsy stick/tin units that litter most RV lots
    • Function over form.......could care less about "warm" interiors, plush carpet and tons of tech. This thing just works and there isn't an ounce of wood or steel anywhere (save for the axles). Plus if we have a particularly messy weekend I can just tip the trailer back and hose it out!
    • Even with the higher price, the depreciation is almost nothing compared to a mass-produced unit. With the price of aluminum and the going rate for used units, as of right now I could probably sell it for almost as much as I paid for it. I've had equity in it for nearly 1.5 years now, and it will be paid off in another 1-2 years at our current pace. Compare that to a stick/tin toy hauler that is 50% of its value within a year or so of purchase.
    Cons:
    • Let's not beat around the bush...........these trailers are $$$. However, I wanted something that would be comfortable for my wife and I plus our young children, and even more so once that kids are grown and we can take longer trips just the two of us. With the build quality, I know it will be up to the task for decades, not years.
    Overall have loved it.....and trips to the track have now become a family affair, which I love. Never would have gotten the family to partake in the past. Wife didn't want to camp in a tent or a grimey motel and the kids would have been bored out of their minds and whining to go home. Plus, we've spent a LOT more time going to state parks, events, races, and the like and have had a blast every single time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. NemesisR6

8. NemesisR6

I will say, though, that if I was flying solo that little intech trailer with the popout would be very attractive......

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If you like sleeping with ear plugs....

NemesisR6 likes this.
  10. NemesisR6

Eh, there's always going to be concessions. With a trailer that small it would put a real hamper on storage space if you had a fully-interior bed.

Plus, I often sleep with earplugs regardless, especially at the track. You can still pick up folks generators and people who are arriving at dawn because they didn't camp.

Best feeling in the world is waking up to the timer of the coffee-maker going off, stepping outside to watch everybody unloading their gear while the missus scrambles some eggs and fries some bacon inside the trailer......

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes.... did that at CMP this weeeknd... love to see people scramble as well...

NemesisR6 likes this.
  12. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Define noisy. It's canvas...not an insulated enclose wall. Are you a light sleeper?

13. jfirms

jfirms Member

Not particularly a light sleeper. If it works for you at the track it should be alright. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  14. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Dr.Duct_Mossbur Well-Known Member

I’ve picked up a lot from this thread.

Given some of the feedback I’m leaning toward an ATC or some other form of high quality trailer. Resell is very important to me.

I’m also looking at the stealth nomad... just trying to decide whether or not I care to have a bathroom and running water. All of the tracks I go to have showers and bathrooms so I’m not sure if i want to dedicate fixed space to that.

Appreciate the conversation and hope it continues in this thread and folks continue to offer various perspectives.

I’ve navigated away from the idea of a pop out just due to the fact that it still takes up the same amount of room in the trailer while traveling as a bed would/could. I like the beds that can go from a bed to a couch and mounted to the wall. I’d like my trailer to be a shelter in place for my buddies in the hot summer, lol.

TLR67 likes this.
  15. NemesisR6

That's really the major reason I ended up with a true toy hauler. I would have gladly went for the converted utility trailer route, but if I wanted the wife to tag along she wasn't on board for using showers/facilities at the track or campgrounds.

The shower in the ATC works great (its a normal shower, not a cramped "wet bath" like most haulers this size), and the oversize tanks (100 gal fresh / 50 black / 50 gray) ensure that there is plenty to last a long weekend if there are no hookups.

16. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That’s pretty pimp... exact same size as mine... however when I saw the price I was like damn! That is twice what I paid once done. I guess the tanks, showers propane and plumbing is worth it to some people..

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My $.02 is:

1) make a scale model of everything you plan to fit in the trailer. Trailers look bigger empty.

2) resist the urge to permanently and extensively modify your utility trailer. Limiting your resale market to other racers makes resale value drop immensely.

3) with that in mind, consider buying someone else’s used setup.

4) IMHO, AC is a must for sleeping.

TLR67 likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes also for 21K I wouldn’t settle for just a 25K BTU..

20. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

They can be had for around $16-17k.

I don’t really NEED the bathroom but at this point it’s difficult to find a quality trailer with insulation and AC for less than $11-12k... at that point I can spend a few grand more and get all the bells and whistles with a warranty on them.