1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rea’s “Other” Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Jun 27, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Something else for The Ben to chime in about...

TurboBlew, pscook and Joe Remi like this.
  2. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Ben would join (big team name here) and win the Tour de France if they paid him enough. Totes.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

All of these pro athletes riding bikes to train. Pshhhh. Idiots. Why don't they just walk?

Comparing calories burned between cycling and walking is a gross oversimplification. If you think that a 1 hour walk provides the same physical fitness benefits of a 20-mile bike ride, you're delusional. Rhetorical question: what percentage of the population do you think can walk for an hour versus being able to ride a bicycle 20 miles (and we will just assume no elevation whatsoever)?

pscook likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just going from a 29 x2.25 tire to a 27.5 x2.6 tire for cross country riding added a whole lotta heart rate and cadence. Enough that after being on the 27.5 and going back to the 29er had me over shooting corners from all the additional momentum and less wheel weight. The good part of the bigger 27.5 tire... is you dont have to be particular with your lines.

5. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

because they're lazy. they could do crossfit/cross training. but that's hard. they don't want muscles to weigh them down.

pscook likes this.
  6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Weight lifting is different. Keeping your heart rate steady at 170bpm for an extended time period is tough when you’re picking up shit and putting it down. Don’t think these guys only ride bicycles, they’re pretty ripped and have a the physique of a work level athlete. Look at the guys who race MX and their training, it’s no “walk in the park”

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

that 29er is heavy !:Poke:

8. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

This would only be legit if you are power walking above 4mph and riding a bicycle so slow about 5 mph. Not even close in reality.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

MTB is cool and fun. The rest of the spandex wearing leg shavers though... :crackup:

[​IMG]

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yea the link show cycling at under 10 mph as moderate, that's a beach cruiser stroll. If I'm under 10 mph I'm most likely climbing a hill. :D

Jon Wilkens, TurboBlew and pscook like this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have a short section (broken by a stop light... Ugh) that is epic grade and has me at 8-9 MPH regardless of standing and grinding or sitting and spinning in a short gear. I call it "Heart Attack Hill," and told my wife that if I am ever late coming home from work that she will likely find me about 3/4 up the hill slowly declining to ambient temperature. Otherwise I'm cruising at 18-19 with an average of 16-17 (commuter bike with two panniers, total package about 45 lbs loaded). 10 MPH is really hard to hold on the flats with the road bike.

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea no shit. its only 2.5lbs lighter than my DH bike haha. everything on it is over-built and burly cause i'm real hard on stuff, but coming from a titanium hardtail that was like 25lbs. to this bike felt like i strapped a rock to it with a rope and was dragging it up the hill. its a good workout i guess tho. i'm gonna look for a carbon frame on sale this coming off-season. its been 4-5 years on this one now, time for a refresh.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I can easily ride 20 miles in an hour.

Jon Wilkens, pscook and Sabre699 like this.
  14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So you must be 500 lbs, since that what this walking calculator shows. :D . https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-walking/

15. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

A waitress at Applebee's should damn near be an Olympic athlete. They walk all day!