1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a Racing Motorcycle On a High School Budget

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Vincent Huang, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

THIS

2. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

And another this; All the fun with much lower cost. SV650 AT THE MOST, but a 250/300 is the way to go.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Kawasaki H2 triple.................okay horrible idea. 250/300 is damn hard to do wrong for starting out.......or even your entire time doing this HOBBY.

4. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I'm not fast. I run an R6. I spend more on tires than on any other aspect of riding. New set every day or two.
    My son is just as fast as me. He rides a SV650. He can go 4-5 days.
    Just my 2c.

SpeedyE and Phl218 like this.
  5. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

This young man needs to start out with mini GP to learn properly then can move on —
    Also best budget option

6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

That seems like a huge waste. Unless your definition of "not fast" is getting 2nd place in expert races instead of winning lol...when I was racing my ZX6R, I certainly wasn't fast. Maybe mid-pack amateur level, decent enough to run mid-pack Advance group at track days. I could go easily 3 days on a rear tire, sometimes 4 if it was less runtime in a day. For the fronts...easily 8 days. Anyone that isn't running top 5 in expert races is just throwing good tires away if they get a new set for every day or two.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As they said, GSXR sounds great but it is not the best choice for the budget conscious.

As for which classes - you can run pretty much anything we do.

8. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Agreed... I'm not sure how people run through so many damn tires... I won 4 amateur championships last year, and was the number 3 amateur in the midwest, running low mid-pack expert times on a 750, and I used 2 rears and one front for the first 6 rounds, which included two twin sprint weekends, and I was running 5 classes, including GTO... I'll be the first to admit that I run tires longer than most, but I'd always change them within a race after I started getting them to slide. I also weigh 250 pounds and brake pretty hard so I'm definitely not being nice to the tires.

sbk1198 likes this.
  9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

what your describing is pretty normal IMO. your pace really dictates tires use, and its not a linear relationship. ull use a lot more tire when u cut 2-3sec.

I can be one of the fastest guys at a trackday on a Medium compound, and easily run that for 3-4 days. but thats 3+sec off my PRs. at expert winning pace, I run Soft or Supersoft. the tires lose a few tenths by the 4th race. by the next day after a heat cycle, they are at least 1sec slower. a Supersoft probably won't make it to a 3rd day. the Supersoft is at least 1sec faster than the Medium, so its a must-have for winning expert races.

5axis and JJJerry like this.
  10. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

It's probably been brought up here but the track itself and be a huge game changer. Some tracks I would be able to run 4 sprints each day and practice over a weekend but others I'd be wanting to swap the rear after 2 sprints. To be specific Nelsons Ledges a tire would last forever even with the long high speed stuff, PIRC after the new pavement and I couldn't believe how quickly the tires went off. It's a disgusting and painful part of racing but your best bet is to try and set the bike up the best you can and just deal with it. Going fast cost big bucks, no way around it.

11. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Running tires for more than two track days? I must be doing it wrong as I thought it was "standard" procedure to replace them (I used to track a gixxer 750 and R6 track bike then).

Hey Vincent, what have you decided engine-size and price-wise? Something tells me you want more speed and power than an SV650, Ninja 250/300, or R3.

I'm looking at SV650s and R3s for the fun factor and low cost budget. But, to "race" with my friends, I need a 600 or 750. Decisions...

12. Joe S

Joe S USCRA #496

I think a set of Super Moto wheels and tires on your KTM would be a great inexpensive start. Shocks and forks springs can come later.

13. CTarna

CTarna Well-Known Member

14. The.Johnner

The.Johnner Active Member

Any threads on this that you know of? I'd be interested to hear how people have put it all together.

15. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

If we tried to make a business plan, none of us would be doing it. You'll likely have a 98% Financial Loss on any capital investment. Its like the old saying, If you want to be a Millionaire from racing, you'll need to start a Billionaire.

5axis, badmoon692008 and The.Johnner like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. For 99.9% of you this isn't remotely a business. It is a hobby. If you're good enough at your hobby you can help offset some of the costs but do not ever plan on that or expect it.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

start easy... take a fresh $100 bill... then light it on fire and watch it burn to nothing but ash.
    No emotional reaction or immediate regret? Good do it 4 more times then youre ready to burn some loot! :D
    Ive known guys that lived in their shop(s) to have enough money to race/travel. They could hustle and minimize spending to have enough money to keep at it.

Phl218, badmoon692008 and The.Johnner like this.
  18. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I think you all have gotten baited by a bot. But good advice anyways,

The.Johnner likes this.
  19. The.Johnner

The.Johnner Active Member

Haha, my question may have come out wrong... Yea, I know I will be spending a boat load and likely never have any coming back from riding, just curious to hear someone who's done it (whether it's just little things to supplement/boost the hobby, forming /joining a race team, or a career change to something in motorsports)

Anyway, thanks

P.S. No bot here, just a noob :flag:

MkImroth likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Well, not really. To make a million in racing, start with 2 ;)

Lots of spreadsheets out there of people summarizing cost:

- bike
    - spares
    - maintenance
    - travel
    - hotels
    - registration fees
    - tires
    - etc

Not much really on the income side unless you’re racing at the pointy end for contingency $

Cheers

TurboBlew and The.Johnner like this.