1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newb Question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wheelz96, Mar 1, 2019.

1. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Next question. I believe I will be entering the Novice A SS class. My first race will be at Tally. I have never been but will be going this Friday to get some laps.

How many laps is normally in a race? Tally I.E.

2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

3. drop

drop Well-Known Member

4. wheelz96

Thank you. Does the Novice A SS class normally start in a 2nd wave behind the experts? Is this dependent on number of entries? How many bikes can I expect to grid up with?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do tell people I deal drugs for a living :D

wheelz96 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on grid size(s) and no way to tell at this point.

7. wheelz96

Fair enough. It is what it is anyways just was curious.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally understand but even we have no clue until we print the grids that day since we allow entry up until 30-60 minutes before that point.

9. wheelz96

Got another question lol. Sorry lot's I need to learn.

I currently don't have a generator at the moment and I know most tracks offer power for a fee. Do they always sell out or can I count on being able to pay for power at the track until I find a generator?

10. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

With the ZX10 you're eligible for A Superstock, A Superbike, Formula 1 in Sportsman and Open Superstock and Michelin/WERA Superbike for Nationals weekends.

11. wheelz96

Thanks and I understand all the classes I am eligible for. Was more curious to what is a normal amount of races to run a day with the average rider. To get my feet wet I think it's safe to stick to 1 or 2 classes and go from there.

Also, speaking of ZX10. The Kawi contingency looks like enticing. However, do novice racers get contingency money or is it only an expert thing?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Expert only for OEM's, at this point don't even worry about any contingency. Learn the basics then add in more.

On power at Talladega, there is a decent amount, honestly not sure on reserving it. You do need to reserve RV spots I believe.

13. wheelz96

Thanks Mongo. Trust me I have no false illusions on trying to make any money racing.. I do know that I need to start with a large pile to win a small pile tho..

I will try to get a generator before Tally but don't want to cheap out and get a noisy one. Can't start off the year being that guy.. I'll wait for round 2 for that:)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To be sure I'd call/email the track about power.

15. wheelz96

Noted. Will see what happens between now and then. Your help won't go without pay. Stop by my pit anytime you need to rehydrate..

Yuengling, Bud, and probably Michelob if your into that kinda thing.. Id offer you a water but I'd hate to see ya start rusting..

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

17. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Check with your local tool rental shops. several of the shops in my area rent the honda and/or Yamaha inverters pretty reasonably

wheelz96 likes this.
  18. wheelz96

Is a 2300 watt inverter generator what most are using pit side to run one set of tire warmers? I am looking at a couple locally for sale but want to make sure this is a good size.

Also, I have engine ice in my rad which is allowed in advance pace at track days but I think I read it is not allowed in WERA. Is this correct?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Correct, no engine ice. It has glycol in it which doesn't just evaporate like water and is very slippery.

20. wheelz96

Fine.. water wetter it is! How about the generator? Any idea what most people are using? I know it needs to be quiet but dont want it tripping due to the power output. Would only be running warmers and maybe a small shop fan..