1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning to track days... reasonably priced suits?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wheedle, Jan 22, 2019.

1. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member

Not racing ( unless they start an 'Old Fat Guys on Old Goofy Bikes' class )... I asked on the STT forums, but I though I'd ask here too...

I'm hoping to get back into the occasion track day this year, and I'm severely out of the loop. My old suit is gone, and my two-piece suit needs replacing ( bunches at the knees and wore through my last trip to Tally 10 years ago ). I have good recent helmet, gloves and boots. I just need to get a good suit without spending more than $1k. What are the good options out there these days for the old fat guys (5'11 250-ish hoping to drop another 10) ? Teknic and Cortech used to be the bang-for-buck choices, but I don't know anymore. Of course with wife, kid, house, cars, and a Bulldog... value is important, if I can get good quality for less all the beter.

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Check the Ridersdiscount now that they are back in business. They had an awesome package deal on RST a little while back.

cajun636 likes this.
  3. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I bought a bottom-of-the-barrel 1-piece Alpinestars suit (CR model, I don't know if they even make it anymore) and it is pretty dang good as far as I can tell. I haven't crash tested it yet, but knowing it's a good brand gives me a little more confidence than hoping for the best with some of the eBay specials. I think I paid $400 or so for it, but it's been a few years now.

4. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

The Dainese Assen is a decent suit and is a great value given the brand/quality.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

@Pro Speed Racin Give Kenny a PM and he will hook you up with a custom suit in that price range.

Pro Speed Racin likes this.
  6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Another vote for RidersDiscount and the RST suits they have are really good, especially for the $$.

7. 0100

0100 Active Member

I was going to ask this same question. Thanks guys I will try the RST suit.

8. MOTO-D

MOTO-D Trackday Junkie

Don't skimp on leathers, not saying you need to spend a ton, but get something that is quality, trusted and Most Importantly fits right. I see many riders out there buy leathers way to big which can be very bad (since the protection can shift). We love Spidi Leathers here and their "Supersport Wind Pro" is very comfortable, looks great, and costs LESS than what many riders pay for custom suits of lesser quality. Check them out at www.motodracing.com/spidi

[​IMG]

9. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

I’ve had two RST suits from @Riders Discount. The CPX-C which I crashed twice in, and a new CPX-C2 which unfortunately I crashed in last week. They are old school suits that use a lot of cow and are heavy by modern standards. But they can take a beating and keep going. Only reason I retired my first RST was that I pulled the neoprene cuffs partially off putting the suit on/off, and the cost to repair and ship was more than half the cost of a new one.

Most recent wreck was a turn 1 lowside at NJMP. I slid from the apex to the opposite side of the track and into the dirt. No holes in the suit and no injuries to me.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Hard to beat RST at ~$400.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I love the RST CPX suits, especially for the riders discount price, but they don't seem to be listed on their site anymore (maybe will be added back once they get up and running all the way again?) and they're much more expensive everywhere else that they're listed.

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A lot of people have snubbed their nose at mine, but I have the newest version of the Cycle Gear house brand, Sedici. It's much better than their previous suits, well built and feels solid. I'm really happy for less than $300. It fits well but isnt restrictive. I have a 52 and I'm 6ft 225 athletic build. A buddy crash tested one in a 60 mph low side. Suit didn't even need repairs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019