where to buy 125 slicks

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Billy B, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

I need a set of slicks for a mini with 17s on it. Does anyone know the best source? Thanks,
    Billy

2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

3. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Thanks!
    Not that it'll likely matter on a mini (KTM 105) all that much, but any opinion on which are the best way to go? I'd rather have a tad less ultimate grip and slide predictably than have the tire suddenly let go (a la Michelins years ago - yes, I'm old).

4. Toadmeister00

I have ridden all three, and have seen guys win on all three. Honestly, I think it just comes down to what is the most convenient or easiest to get. They all cost about $300 with shipping.

I ran Dunlops for the first few years I raced minis, then switched to Pirellis a few years back when I started racing an SV650 on Pirellis. It was just easier to grab a set of 125 slicks from the tire vendor while I was at the track.

5. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Good enough then. Really appreciate the input.

6. Toadmeister00

Yes sir. You can't make a bad choice between the three.

I have a KTM 105, also. It's very well set up and I love the thing, but switched to a 150R after getting beat up on by them for a couple of seasons.

7. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

I hate to hear that about the 105 vs 150R. I haven't raced the 105 yet, getting ready for an event in Alabama. I figured the 150Rs would be tough to beat as I'm sure they are easier to ride, broader spread of power and all. But the 105 should have top end and a weight advantage I was hoping might even it out?

8. Toadmeister00

I have been helping a guy out from AL over on the KTMTalk forum. He's putting one together for kart track (and some singletrack) use.
    There's lot of info regarding the 105s on that thread: http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?546030-Rebuild-instructions

I would say the KTM makes more outright hp and is noticeably lighter, but the R is just so smooth on the throttle through the corners and the power curve is just so broad. It's just an easier bike to get around the track on.

I took them both down to VIR last month, and I was consistently .40-.50 sec quicker on the R, but the 105 would trap 1-2 mph higher.

[​IMG]

9. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Nice looking bikes. You're probably talking to my pal Murf in Alabama - he's the one who sent me a link to the endurance race for minis and this is a good excuse to finally get my 105 on the track. He's putting a 105 together now. I'm not surprised by what you're saying, once the 105 falls off the pipe even a bit, you're going nowhere fast. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to racing it, especially since I'm a big 2 stroke fan and have a significant investment in "Fuck 4 Strokes" stickers :)

I'll check out the ktmtalk link - thanks.

10. Toadmeister00

Yup, it's Murf. You must be his friend that he bought the 2nd brake caliper bracket for? I sold him the 260mm rotor a few weeks back. He sure lucked out with tracking down those discontinued brackets.

I'm a big 2T fan myself, and stuck with the 105 for a bunch of seasons. I fought the urge to switch to the 150r platform but couldn't pass up the bike when a buddy put it up for sale, it was already set up and ready for the track.

Don't let me get you down with the 105, they are definitely potent and a blast to ride.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Don't know your budget, but when we were running mini's and a 125 on the big track, the takeoffs from the 125 would still last awhile on a 150R on a kart track.

12. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Yes Murf is sending me the caliper bracket - I have a mc/caliper setup off some 2000s-ish KTM 250 or whatever 'big bike' setup to put on with the 17s, which I'd think is more than enough for a bike the weight of the 105.

Rob - appreciate the tip but I'll buy new slicks since I have more $ than skill :)

13. Toadmeister00

So I hear that you're quite the gifted rider! I'm anxious to see how you do on the 105 vs. the 150Rs.

14. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Ha! You must be talking to Murph. No, I'm not that fast - he's just slow :) Definitely will let you know how it goes on the 105. Stickboy is sending me some Dunlops - thanks again for the pointer on tire sources!