1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check this dude out.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

100yrs old jumping out of airplanes. :beer::bow:

https://www.stripes.com/news/former...lebrates-100th-birthday-with-skydive-1.544989

DILLINGHAM AIRFIELD, Hawaii — Blowing out 100 candles wasn’t good enough for Polito “Paul” Olivas, a 30-year Army veteran whose career took him through World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars.

On Wednesday, the former Green Beret jumped tandem from a plane 14,000 feet in the air over Oahu’s North Shore and landed in Dillingham Airfield – a week after he turned 100.

“I’d do it again,” he told a gaggle or reporters minutes after landing.

As a veteran paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division that jumped into Normandy, France, on D-Day in June 1944, Olivas has hundreds of parachute drops under his belt. But none included freefalling — the span in jumping before the chute opens. His jumps were all relatively low to the ground, and the parachutes were connected to a static line that automatically unfurled them as he exited the airplane bay door.

His birthday jump had a minute-long freefall, followed by about five minutes under an open chute.

He recalled that on D-Day, his plane was only about 300 feet above the ground when he jumped.

“The closer you are to the ground, the less of a target you are,” Olivas said Wednesday morning as he awaited his flight.

[​IMG]

TurboBlew, panthercity, XFBO and 9 others like this.
  2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

that's badass.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

One of your coolest posts ever, 'Toe!:beer: Thats super cool!

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Awesome!!!!

6. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Mad respect. There aren’t many WW2 vets left these days, and this guy is still living life well.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Curvature of the earth, too!

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

9. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Curvature can juuuust begin to be seen at around 35,000 ft. What you see in that photo is the result of a wide-angle lens.

10. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

Get some!

11. He doesn’t even need a chute, loose skin will slow you down at that age. That’s just friggin awesome stuff.

MachineR1 likes this.
  12. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

That guy is a bad ass

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Screaming Eagles!

14. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

#FakeNews

Great story!!!

15. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

^ What they said. Totally cool

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

That really is incredible. In a similar vein I recently encountered a husband and wife bicycling in East Glacier Montana. They were both in their late 70's. I asked them where they'd ridden from and they said "New York."

I thought they were kidding at first. They weren't. :bow:

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dude is a stud.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

TMI...................KIDDING!!

19. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Super cool. However when I saw the pic first thing I thought of was Weekend at Bernie's

20. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Bush Sr. has been diving on his Bday for a long time, last was his 90th, then he was rolled out in his wheelchair.