1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Central Racers

Discussion in 'Announcements/Information' started by Mongo, Apr 26, 2018.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

No dog in this fight - as RA in September is a no go because school year has started by then. Just some additional perspective:

NCM is a safety thing as I understand it from WERA admin. Also, isn't MCRA a trackday organization? Same thing with Putnam, trackday organizations go there, and I would guess that's how MCRA gets to race there.

Road America is crazy expensive to rent, so I would guess that's a major factor there. CCS has been going there forever and I'd submit that's a factor too.

I would love it if some of those places were available as they are much closer for me, however I'm not sure that comparing the Road Atlanta offering to not going to these other places isn't an apples to oranges argument.

Fish on.

2. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

MCRA raced NCM a couple times since they do racing within the daily schedule of their track days. But they lost their ass so badly in Oct. 2016 with poor attendance that they never went back. No one else will try to race NCM because of the walls.

If NCM became viable it would be a monster venue. Could draw from IN, IL, OH, TN, GA, KY easily and farther out for those adventurous types.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This.

I'm not sure what I would do with only a three hour drive. :D

4. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

It is getting better with more and more Air- fence being added, but still, it’s scary to think how fast you go through those right handers knowing that the walls are there...

I’d be nice to see Mid-O repaved... and have a couple more races there outside of just the VMD, for regionals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cav115 likes this.
  5. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I like your perspective on everything you mention. ARHMA and MCRA and CCS run at Road America. I suspect that it is very expensive, but I would also pitch this - If WERA were to race there, I would think that the entries would be strong, but I also think that the racers would be willing to pay a lit extra to offset the cost to WERA. I know we paid $120 to race ARHMA... I am sure there is a metric where we would need a set amount of attendees, but think about the WERA angle.

CCS guys would race, MotoAmerica guys would race if prior to the MA round, and we would have every NC guy attending because it is a HUGE destination track. I just cannot believe that if promoted well and used as a National/crossover regional, we couldn't get strong attendance.

Gingerman cannot be looked at like in the past. Work with STT like we do with N2 and run a similar race day. I hate these types of days, but again, using an Iron Butt idea, maybe we can make that a benefit for the sprint racers Sunday.

Anyways, I think there needs to be another recent look at these tracks. Some we have burnt the bridge for, but maybe another approach would allow a different chance? Again, future stuff here. This year is a done deal. I think Road Atlanta isn't fair to the guys racing in the NC. It just isn't fair that they didn't get a chance to even vote on it or allowed to be a part of the discussion.

6. JBarx

I know better than most -- courtesy of an eager R6 with some serious closing speed and poor judgment.

FYI - when your bike hits Armco at speed it's kinda like a stamping machine, lol. I had the profile of the barrier punched into my tank.

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I hear you.

Lots of opinions on this; but road america is just as far for us as road atlanta. We prefer Atlanta.

And talking about the GNF in the same discussion as the region isn`t realistic either. They are seperate. The GNF is stand alone and you don`t have to do it to complete your region.

Yes, it would be great to have real racetracks in NC. That`s not as easy as it seems I would guess from a scheduling and business standpoint.

That`s why we would love to go to road atlanta this year; after 4 rounds at grattan, would be nice to have another race at a great racetrack.

We can`t race all winter; another drive is a small price.

Part of it i would guess is our small region size. That is not WERA`s problem.

So if we have to drive to get good racing, we will for sure. Many others feel the same.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  8. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I wonder if we can raise enough money to buy and rebuild the Bluegrass Motorsports Park...

9. JBarx

Every Cincinnati racers' wet dream...

10. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

For racers by racers.

11. JBarx

I happen to know a guy who designs buildings for a living. Just so happen to know a lot of engineers. Go get the money, I can get the thing built. ;)

maslov likes this.
  12. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Oh yea! If I’m thinking of the right guy, he’s pretty OCD. I’m sure every pebble in gravel trap will look like one of those Japanese Gardens...

13. JBarx

I gotta figure it beats wondering if the thing will collapse on you. LOL.

cav115 and maslov like this.
  14. Robbie Noe

Robbie Noe New Member

I'm a first year racer trying to win points for superbike and superstock C novice leading both categories. I had no idea that another round was in the works being that the schedule says nothing about a TBA round. I have my vacation and money all accounted for the schedule that was posted on the website. As it is I cant make it until late Saturday to vir and then pack up and drive home 10 hours to get to work by noon the next day because of limited time off of work.

I personally would be super bummed if this extra rounds get thrown in and spoils my points lead. I've done everything I could to make all north central for this goal of mine but this curve ball I cannot swing.

I see the previous posts dating back to April talking about this extra round possibly getting added but I had no knowledge that this forum existed until this weekend. Sorry if I sound like a whiner but that's just how I feel and I'm sure there are others in a similar position.

15. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

If you boys want to go to Road Atlanta and race, nothing is stopping you. Adding it to the North Central schedule (in July) is crazy though.

Lizard 1 and Robbie Noe like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it's 99% then why did everyone Evelyne talked to at Mid-Ohio think it was a cool idea?

You guys are truly confusing some days.....

cav115 likes this.
  17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Jerry on page 1 of this thread you said you thought Road Atlanta in September was a great idea.....

18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Yep. In early May. While still planning my budget / season. Adding it mid-season is my heartburn.

rcarson15 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

NCM is simple - it's not viable for WERA racing. That's one area where you know we don't and will absolutely never care what others do. Putnam has become the same. The bikes have gotten faster and faster and even if we would be willing to race there, the last turn won't work. Road America only has open dates in the winter, I talk to them every year. Gingerman has no one show up every single time we try it. If the customers don't like it, why would we schedule a race there? Nelson has been covered.

We have not "run out of tracks" I see nothing wrong with the current schedule - it's not perfect but it works. We are responding to a request from our customers. Nothing more nothing less. We had a number of riders ask to add Road Atlanta to the NC schedule. Evelyne talked to a bunch more at Mid-Ohio over the weekend and made the call based on input to her from her customers.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Kind of understand that but at the same time North Central is a tough region because of low turnout so we may have to put up with some driving to get good races.

At least until some of the tracks start improving.