1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practice Day at Barber’s?

Discussion in 'General' started by Joe Cupido, Jun 4, 2018.

1. hurricanejohn

hurricanejohn Professional Amateur

Here is what I posted:

I just visited the WERA BBS and I read that during the 3 day Cycle Jam at Road Atlanta there were 35.5 bike pickups by the crash truck and WERA says they lost $7000 on this event. The grids were pretty packed, seemed to be a few spectators who paid gate fees, and as a businessman I don't understand how you could lose that much money on that particular event. Cycle Jam is hands down the second-most attended event of the WERA season. Tires sales were pretty good, and it seemed to be well-attended by both racers and spectators. Just scratching my head over this news. Bottom line is let's all come out to the races and financially support what we love doing! No business can sustain losses and keep the doors open - are we doing everything we can do to support local racing?

UPDATE: WERA now says they only lost $7000 for the Friday but were profitable for the event as a whole. Looks like we ARE doing everything to keep them alive!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah John, you're the one keeping WERA alive :crackup:

BTW - the 7k thing was extremely clear in the thread you got that number from. You really should pay more attention before you try and make us/me look bad ;)

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, you said you'd lower the price at barber how and what would the price be?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good question, minimum cost there is 12,500 just for the track and ambulances. Then add in insurance and personnel and so on, figure at least 16k. So you need 80 people at 200 bucks. 92 at $175. 107 at $150. Assuming you can keep expenses to that level. Road Atlanta with security and corner workers and everything is more like 25k a day. In that case if you drop the price to 150 you need to get 167 riders on track.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's why I asked, I have little experience with that type of thing doing the stuff at cmp but even then the numbers have to make sense.
    At tracks like barber there is a maximum number of riders per mile too correct?

R/T Performance likes this.
  6. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

$12.5k was the old price per day (more now) and does not include ambulance, fire safety etc.....

And don’t forget 17 corners worth of corner workers...... :)

best,
    t

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I honestly don't know what they have if anything in the contract. We have a 25 bikes per mile rule of thumb for our stuff that will get adjusted up and down depending on the track (width, tight vs flowing and so on)

noles19 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had a feeling it was more so guessed on the last one I knew for sure :crackup:

Hell, I was thinking Road Atlanta was 12 but it's 15 before any extras.

mastermind likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

low enough you'll go broke saving $$$. :D You have to buy it before we can reveal any details! :D
    Stop axing questions and fire off emails if youre serious!! :D

R/T Performance and noles19 like this.
  10. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

They don’t have anything specifically for Barber, but we run with a formula on all our tracks that’s been in place for almost 20 yrs now.... it seems to have worked well for us. Of course trackdays are different than racing, so I would expect WERA’s formula and STT’s formula to be different.

t

R/T Performance likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet we do it pretty similarly just changed for how our groups are set up.

mastermind likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Perfect.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then order a Coke. Be specific. If you want a Coke, order a coke. You want a pepsi, order a pepsi. You want an orange soda order a orange soda or by brand. You want an RC, go back to the trailer park, Joe Dirt, no one drinks that shit. :D

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know with NESBA we used the full amount of CW and safety crew that the local race organizations used including two ambulances etc.

5axis likes this.
  15. hurricanejohn

hurricanejohn Professional Amateur

I don't need to make a profit on track days and my prices reflect that. My price at Barber would be lower than the current pricing - I would not charge a gate or entrance fee, no membership to get a decent track price. There are more components to renting a track than just the track itself, so once a deal was reached the math would determine the price. I would not put 50-60 riders per group because that increases the risk of an on-track incident which hurts all the riders. I rent a track now that is over $30,000 to rent and my price is $195 per day or $380 per weekend with a maximum of 30 riders per group. If I fill up each group I gross around $35,000. Using that same model if I put 40 riders per group at Barber and kept my price at $195/day $380 per weekend I would essentially do the same thing there - current weekend price of the current org is $450 (member) or $490 (non-member) plus you have to pay a gate fee. I will clear enough to pay my insurance, pay for the meal we provide at every event, and break even. That's all I want to do with Track Day Winner - make enough to pay expenses and give riders a good, cost effective event. I also give Ed Bargy free track time at all of my events that fit his schedule so that he can provide his race school and put more racers on the grid. To date at my events he's probably issued 150-200 race licenses.

16. eggfooyoung

No

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's a Gahdayum understatement. Kicked your ass didn't he?

18. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

NESBA SUCKS!!
    J/k.....always wanted to say that! : )

Is DJ still instructing?

TurboBlew and G 97 like this.
  19. eggfooyoung

No she did not. It wasn't for a lack of effort, either. She was PISSED! :D

Metalhead likes this.
  20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot