1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric weed eater

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, May 18, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I realize I'm not a real man if I don't by a Stihl, but I live in a subdivision with a tiny yard. Like literally, it took me an hour to mow my lawn, my neighbors lawn, and edge tonight.

My weed eater has pissed me off for the last time, so I threw it on the curb.

I'm told that today's electric weed eaters have sufficient power for my needs, including some light edging.

Any recommendations? Would prefer to buy from Lowe's as I have a gift card.

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I have the Black & Decker that I’ve used for the past few years without issue. I have a 1/3 acre lot and couldn’t be happier with it.

Gixxerguy855 and K51000 like this.
  3. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Is it worth finding one with two batteries, or does the one battery suffice?

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I can do my lawn on one battery, I have the ryobi works well, its nice to have another battery if needed, I have a blower too so two batteries.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’ve only ever needed the one battery. A single charge can get my fence line, full house, and then the head rotates to do a full edging.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Not seeing a ton out there that come with two batteries unfortunately.

How many volts do I want? Kobalt is looking good, five year warranty and I can use my gift card.

7. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I have the 80V Kobalt.
    Love that thing.
    Even bought the matching leaf blower.

8. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Just got the EGO 56v mower and weed eater. I’ve only used it half dozen times but it’s impressive and I like how it does the string/cord.

9. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Got a 20v Black & Decker combo kit from Wallyworld a couple of years back. Came with leaf blower, trimmer, 2 batteries, and a charger. I think it was around $100 back then. One of the better purchases I've ever made. Usually takes both batteries to do my entire yard of trimming and dusting the trimmings off my driveway/sidewalk.

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Home Depot has a deal going on for the next day or two. Buy the two pack of batteries for $99 and get any ryobi tool under $89 for free. They have a string trimmer. Worth a look.

I bought one of the harbor freight Lynxx branch pruner things a few months ago and it’s been solid. Very happy with it. The Lynxx stuff seems to be a big step up from their usual junk. Pretty sure they have a weed eater version as well.

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If you're thinking Ryobi, see if you have one of these places nearby or shop online. 18v batteries for less than $25 a pop. Factory reconditioned stuff much cheaper than retail. I get all my Ryobi stuff there and never had an issue with anything. https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com

Phl218 likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was looking at these things a few weeks ago. How much noise does the electric mower make? Does it jam up easily in tall grass?

13. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Not much noise out of my B&D. Tall/thick grass, sometimes I have to take it down layer by layer, not just start at ground level. Only deal with that when I'm lazy and only weedeat the back yard once a month.

Another plus to it is that it's so light weight and easy to use, my wife actually likes to use it, so she ends up doing most of the trimming anyway.

14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have a Kobalt but I’m not sure of the voltage. I would look but I keep it at my cabin. What I can tell you is it’s a little off balance compared to my gas echo so using it isn’t as comfortable. It does a great job and the battery last pretty good and mine came with two. You definitely want two batteries no matter whose you buy.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd be looking at something that has the same batteries as drills/saws/etc...

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have the 40v kobalt trimmer, blower, and hedge trimmer, they work great.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

These tend to be much higher voltage

18. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I have the EGO 56v brushless and for my 1ac yard, one battery works no problem. It’s on sale at Home Depot for $149. Plenty of power and pretty well balanced. I was left a cheap B &D trimmer when I moved to my current home and it always needed 2 batteries to finish the job.

19. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I laughed when I saw my EGO mower had headlights, but sure as shit thing is so quiet I could mow at night if I wanted too. I went out of town for a little over a week after fertilizing so when I came back my grass is pretty tall, went right through it no problem with the bag on. It has some sort of technology where it senses taller grass and you can hear the motor spool up.

20. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I had a Ryobi 40V, but had one battery and two chargers go bad. Home Depot and Ryobi both refused to replace.

I now have a Kobalt 80V with a 5 year warranty and it is better than the Ryobi in every way. On the lower speed setting I get appx 45 minutes of run time which is fine for doing most of my yard. another plus is that the battery charges in about 30 minutes so if I have more trimming than normal I can just grab a quick lunch and get back at it.

Comparing the two the Kobalt 80 V is a little heavier but runs much smoother and even on the lower settings spins faster than the 40V Ryobi, also the Kobalt has little or no felt vibration compared to the Ryobi which is great with my arthritic flippers.

Added bonus, all of the Ryobi attachments work with my Kobolt.