1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Pre-season test live timing

Discussion in 'General' started by Henrybgood2, Mar 26, 2018.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

From what I've been told, at the moment the 400 is limited to 12k rpm, which is pretty worthless because that's about as high as they go anyway. Peak power is at less than that, most people would shift before 12k anyway. They have a good amount more torque than the 300 and don't rev as high.

On a separate note, what is up with the Twins guys?? 1:39s seems slow for those. They're running pretty much the same pace as the little bikes. I know a couple of those guys, like Perry and Madama, could throw down those same lap times on R3's. Is the FZ-07 that bad of a bike or what's the deal here??

regularguy likes this.
  2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Just jd on the graves 600 stuff.

rafa likes this.
  3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

new bike, new tires, new track. and nobody to get a tow off of. I think only Perdiew has been there before and he was a Pirelli guy. I think they did Ok considering. That being said, the twins leaders at Barber will be in the 34-35 range

4. sbk1198

That's what I was expecting to see, mid 30s. I thought Shane Perry has raced there before on an R3. Didn't he do the GNF last year? Or am I confusing him with someone else? Nevertheless, some of the guys on the little bikes haven't been there before either or raced on Dunlops and they still ran low 40s. I hope the twins class will grow in size too. Only a few guys at the test makes me wonder how many will actually grid up for the races.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Also remember the twins class is probably made up of guys like us. Older dude, that works a job, and wants to live out his dream. Not some kid trying to get a Graves or Yosh ride.

The extra cost of doing this test, could eliminate running another round in the series, in front of fans and TV, and participating in a real race.

When Tyler raced, we didn't make any of the AMA tests, I couldn't afford to pull all the way to Alabama or Louisiana for a test, let alone all the tires it would have cost me.

I know it is probably stupid, but i was kinda happy he wasn't old enough to run Daytona his first year. My builder told me we needed a fresh motor for Daytona and it would really need rebuilt after that weekend. Other tracks you could go a few race weekends. Remember, that is for a good performing engine, that hopefully won't have an issue, after you just towed 2000 miles for a race.

The year Ty ran AMA, the only track he had ever raced at before just showing up to race AMA, was Miller. I just told Tyler, "suck it up buttetcup. Not a lot of time to learn everything, but hey, Ben Spies did it in WSBK."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    5axis and sbk1198 like this.
  6. Ya that’s a big cost of Daytona right there, it’s tough on equipment for sure.

7. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

The MotoAmerica test was just that a test, there wasn't any Tech other than a "Safety" Tech. The little bikes were not checked for RPM control. Some of the riders rode different bikes on Monday or Tuesday. The trap speed from Monday to Tuesday with a different manufacturer was 10mph different.

On the middleweight bikes, there was a variety of 2018 with full Supersport builds to a 2107 Superstock build on the track. Some of the 2 rider teams went out together and worked as a team.

Superbike, I have no idea, they were flying for sure.

JJJerry likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If you were at the track you would realize that Cold Weather and damp spots don't go well with Dunlops..... Plus the twins were the first group out....

obcbr likes this.
  9. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Great point, for some reason I thought the 400 would have a lower rpm limit.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Machine: Max rpm

Honda CBR500R 9,500 rpm
    Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF) 13,000 rpm
    Kawasaki Ninja 400 12,000 rpm
    KTM RC390 11,000 rpm
    KTM RC390 R 11,000 rpm
    Yamaha YZF-R3 12,850 rpm
    Suzuki GSX250R TBD

The limits currently in place do pretty much nothing since these bikes power curves are all finished before they hit the max allowed RPM. I imagine Chucky Graves will be having a word with MA about this. I would be surprised if they made a change before Rd Atl.

sbk1198 likes this.
  11. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

All the guys you mentioned were not on Yamaha FZ07's.

12. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Just invoke the WSBK Rea Rule and lop off 1,000-1,600 RPM on the 4 hunder and call it "balanced".

I really don't want to see this become the Ninja 400 cup any more than I wanted to watch the R3 cup. Honda... I don't give a shit about their craptastic bikes.

sbk1198 likes this.
  13. sbk1198

There you go! So I guess nobody's limit is really significant since that's about redline or peak power on all of those.

14. sbk1198

Madama was. At least that's what was listed next to his name. And there was another guy in the top 3 that was on one as well.

15. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The Ninja 400 also has a 22 pound weight penalty over the R3.

Honda CBR500R 156 Kg

Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF) 140 Kg

Kawasaki Ninja 400 150 Kg

KTM RC390 136 Kg

KTM RC390 R 136 Kg

Suzuki GSX250R TBD

Yamaha YZF-R3 140

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Yes, we were there. Lap times didn't show the full stiry but we had a great time. The new team is going to work out really well. He was improving his time everytime out, then a a little plop due to a minor mechanical. Definitely looking forward to Road Atlanta where he'll be on the fully prepped and adjusted bike.

Thanks again to Mr. Linders for the test tires and everyone's support!

ekraft84, TurboBlew, cajun636 and 2 others like this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Why is the Ninja 400 even allowed in this class? Next year, when Yamaha comes out with a YZF-R4.5, will that also be allowed? Seems silly to me.

Phl218 and r6boater like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Just like why did they allow the ninja 300 in the 250 class and why did they allow your KTM390 in the ninja 300 class?

The biggest shocker is the Honda 500 is such a slug, no one cares, it couldn't even beat the 300s. I think it was designed by the same team that designed the new and improved Honda CBR1000 SBK.:D

19. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

On another topic, rumor is the Dunlop Q3+ spec tire is not the same Q3+ street version. Anyone with some info, and how to tell them apart?

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The Ninja 250 had a 5 or 6 year run before the Ninja 300 made it obsolete. The KTM and R3 essentially made the Ninja 300 obsolete after, what, 2 years? Now we have the Ninja 400 just 3 years later.