1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Nicky

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 22, 2017.

1. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

Indy?? When was this?? What??

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vintage car event, Bill Brown got HMGP in there for some track time.

3. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

[​IMG]
    Picked this up today as a reminder.. Still hard to believe he's gone.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Really sucks reading that. Hard to believe Nick would've just blown a stop sign like that. Maybe he didn't know exactly where he was?

And ear buds? Oh, man...

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Still hard to believe.

hotnail likes this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Blowing stop signs seems to the incredibly common for cyclists. I live at a Tee and I'd say 90% of all cyclists blow through at atleast 75% pace, if not full pace.

Earbuds are a bad idea, but in Nickys case, it probably didn't matter.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Silly at this point to go there. Shit happens. We all do dumb things from time to time, and fortunately most of the time nobody dies.

I really don't see what difference it makes. Nicky is gone too soon and that's all that matters. Can't turn back the clock.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

To a point yes but like the article states there's still a criminal trial they are going to conduct, and the Hayden family is seeking damages. And as they mention in the comments, no matter the outcome of the trial, this guy that hit him is going to be vilified for years to come drawing comparisons to those responsible for Senna's car when he passed at Imola

10. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

So the driver was going about 15 mph over the speed limit . Usually everyone goes at least 10 mph over the speed limit. After reading the report,I would put more of the blame on the driver . If he did the speed limit the accident would have never happened.

11. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Was hard reading the comments.I gave up on that.
    I choose to remember the guy as he was.A class act,and great representative for all riders.
    He didn't set out that day to do but one thing,ride his bicycle.
    I Pray peace for all that are involved with this tragedy.
    Nicky was raised by great parents,and it showed.

panthercity, eggfooyoung and cpettit like this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

In the end, it sounds like bad luck as much as anything.
    And it can't be undone.
    Nicky rolled a stop sign, the driver was a little over the speed limit.
    Neither's actions were egregious, it's the kind of stuff we all do, it just ended really badly this time.
    Sometimes bad stuff just happens.
    Better to reflect on his life than his death.

hotnail likes this.
  13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

2 people at the wrong place at the wrong time. It sucks for that guy who hit him to. I'm sure he didn't wake up that morning wanting to hit Nicky with his car. Could happen to any of us. I don't get why the Hayden's are seeking damages. Doesn't make sense to me.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not to get money so it could just be a way to stay informed of the investigation and find out what really happened. Not sure how that works with Italy.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Exactly....happens all the time, all day, everyday and none of us know anything about it 99.999% of the time. It just happens to be that this particular incident claimed the life of a very well known and loved individual.

16. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Italy investigates and files criminal charges whenever there is a death involving automobiles. If you hit a pedestrian in Italy you lose your driver's license for life. Living there I was on foot or the bus unless someone gave me a ride. I would think about crossing the street and traffic would stop, well I guess I'll cross then if everyone is gonna stop.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Saw a 69 sticker on a car today. Still can't believe he's gone.

Razr and 418 like this.
  18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Still get a bit choked up reading the tributes and stories.

Razr likes this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I have a Nicky Arai helmet in my garage, I think about him every time I walk past it.

20. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

He signed mine @ Indy one year. It's sitting in my living room at this moment.

panthercity and Razr like this.