Drilling concrete with aggregate.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jan 22, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...I've had mine since they came in metal cases.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The Milwaukee name may exists but the current tools a cheap pieces of shit compared to what they used to make. They are Milwaukee in name only.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

What isn't a cheap piece of shit compared to what they used to make?

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Whores?

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't know about the current stuff. My hammer drill and sawzall are over 20 years old.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

First....get a Drill Doctor to keep all your bits sharp. Nothing sucks worse than dull bits (it does concrete bits too). Second, keep a shop-vac close by and keep removing the concrete dust as you go...trying to work through an inch of powder just doesn't help.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There have been some cool advancements in dust control while cutting and drilling, Hilti especially. They have a series a small vacuum attachments for their drills. They also make hollow drill bits with a vacuum built into the drill.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We put a lift up a few weeks ago in the lower part of the shop, concrete has to be 75 years old at least. Rex and I layed on the drill with all we had on the first three 3/4" holes. Then we figured out the drill works a lot better with less pressure on it... its funny, it actually drilled faster with 20lbs on it than 200.
    Food for thought.

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have Bosch and Hilti hammer drills....bits are interchageable.

We routinely drill 1.5" holes, 9" deep. Drill bit that size is over $200.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Don't give Hilti credit. That's all OSHA.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

OSHA is really cracking down on silica dust.....Our work had a 'meeting', training course in the fall, that was given by the local OSHA head cheese.

We are working on a $650 million hospital project in Cincinnati. Had to have this particular silica safety class to be allowed to work on the site. Get caught without a dust mask, removed from the job for a day. 2nd offense, employee not allowed to work on job period. This is the General Contractors rule.

12. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I’m not going to lie, the newly enforced silica rule has made a couple of the historic renovation jobs at least palatable to be on. Effing concrete cutters prior to enforcement made so much dust you couldn’t see across the building. It’s still a PITA to lug those vacuums around and pay for all that shit though.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea....Bosch is up on the trend to keep dust down also. Hilti just seems to have quality over the rest, their prices reflect that.