1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rying to explain this crash...Wera Grattan CCW 6-11-2017

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by guidout, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I only have one observation. Your motor will thank you if you'll slow down the pace of your down shifts a bit in a few places.

2. guidout

guidout Active Member

weeeelllllll...I was gonna get you...I was just rushing for no reason. It was fun to race with you and thanks for compliments. Hope to see you next season now that I'm expert :)

3. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I have never been to this track so my observations are based solely on the video...

Through the whole video you make up a lot of time on other riders on corner entries, and most of your passes are on entries. You are accomplishing this by turning in a bit early, and your turn in rate is slow enough for you to carry more speed deeper into the corner.

The downside of this is that you are still adding lean in places where other riders have already hit max lean, or are starting to take lean away, and your drives on corner exits will suffer.

The direct-immediate cause of this crash is the way you move your eyes. At 3:57 you are already visually locked onto the crest of the rise at the next corner. Glance at the corner but then bring your eyes back to a turn in point. Look for a reference point that will help you get the bike positioned closer to the right side of the track as you approach the corner. Delay your your turn in point by a second or so ( start the steering input closer to the corner) and use a slightly stronger steering effort so you go from upright to max lean in less time and distance.

Doing the above will help you get more direction change completed before the top of the rise, so you are not still adding bar input as you crest the top of the hill.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    guidout likes this.
  4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Your like the miss cleo of motorcycle racing videos.

5. guidout

guidout Active Member

dammyneckhurts, interesting talk. Thanks for the feedback.

Are you saying that I'm looking too far ahead or too close?

6. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

To answer your question, in the few seconds leading up to the crash, you are looking too far ahead. Glancing ahead is absolutely necessary, but we need to also bring our eyes back to see reference points closer to the bike. If you leave your eyes too far ahead, you loose track of where you are now. The eyes need to scan up and back.

Work on finding a turn in reference point that you can easily see and use to help in the timing of your steering input. On the right side of the track at about 3:59 you can see a section of white curbing on the right edge of the track.

At 3:57 look at the crest of the rise for about 1 second, and then bring your eyes back to the far end of the white curb. Leave your eyes on the curb until start your steering input, then move your eyes back to the top of the rise.

This scanning ahead and back will help you time your steering input so you are not still adding lean as you go over that rise.

7. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

I'm by no means an expert racer, will only be a novice just starting this year, but it seems pretty straightforward even to me what happened here and has already been mentioned. You were ripping ass, chasing down the guys in front of you like lion after some antelope, asking for every bit of traction from those tires, specifically the front, but the tire said sorry bro, coming over that hill unloaded the suspension and now its just too much for me... Nice riding though still. I'll be there 5/5, maybe see you there

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying. From the video it appears he started his turn in from 2/3 track instead of all the way on the right edge. Starting out wider and a more positive (quicker) turn in, and he could have been picking the bike up and gassing it over the crest, with less lean angle.

Man we are spoiled down here, that track looks like a goat trail! HAHA!