1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Vietnam War. On PBS by Ken Burns?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Might have been in another episode, I saw mention of it and the losses that were suffered.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was born in 56. I remember the nightly casualty counts, friends a couple years older encouraging us to go for their knees in our pick-up football games. I also remember people driving up and down Hillsborough Street in Raleigh cheering, flashing headlights and honking their horns when it was over.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I remember 56 like I was two.

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Daaaannnngggg! You guys are old!
    :D

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Spent years trying to outrun old, but that sucker's got endurance you wouldn't believe.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

was 4...I do remember Ike, though.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thank you. Now I feel younger. I don't really remember Ike, but I do remember the JFK assassination and duck and cover drills. Even then I was skeptical about the ability of that desk to provide sufficient cover to shield me from a nuclear blast.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Trump is committing genocide on all you Methuselahs.

Where's the federal gooberment and airdrops of Metamucil, Super PolyDent and Depends for the needy in this thread? :moon:

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That information is only available on a need to know basis. You aren't on the list.....yet.

10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Yes the PBS series discussed it but as proof the NVA strategy of "grab them by the belt" was key to winning and not as the stupidity of marching the relief troops thru the NVA camps.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm just 4 years younger than you and I can still remember sitting at the dinner table with Walter Cronkite blaring away in the other room about the daily body count and the protesting going on. For some reason the announcement of the My Lai massacre really sticks in my memory. I will never forget the name Lt. William Calley. My mom liked to have nightly discussion about the war and did her best to explain what was going on from the viewpoint of both sides (soldiers and protesters).

12. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

In TN, they were still doing those when I was in school in the 80s. I remember doing them in 1st and 2nd grade.

V5 Racer likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ken Burns is a leftist shill. But he makes good docs sometimes. I'm up to part 4.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

I remember Hurricane Ike as well. :D

15. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Is he really? I know next to nothing about the guy. I just like a good history documentary, especially with real footage.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

OLD? Hell, even today they're just puppies. :D

dsapsis likes this.
  18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If he keeps screwing around and insulting us he won't have the chance to get old. :mad:

19. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

I'm a Vietnam Vet. USMC.
    I was a heavy equipment mechanic stationed on Okinawa and picked up a temporary duty assignment working with the South Vietnamese Marine Corps. I was attached to an advisory group headquartered in Saigon but stayed in camp with the VNMC teaching them how to repair and maintain the diesel generators we shipped them.
    Some were so young I swear they couldn't be more than 12.
    I didn't see much combat but I did spend enough time with the Vietnamese Marines to get an understanding of what life is like for people born into war.
    I've watched a bit of the series and it seems well done but not sure I will bother with the rest.