1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ground beef.. what make with this utility meat?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Soylent green, errrr, ground meat can be used for about everything. Cpettit covered a lot of them but you can add in salisbury steaks and you've just started to touch on the uses for it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    In Your Corner likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Good ideas above.

Make meatloaf, but in muffin tins so you get even more crunchy crusty parts.

badmoon692008 and speedluvn like this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Korean Beef Bowl served over rice. Dead easy. I use this recipe, but I use an entire small onion, and sometimes wilt some spinach on it just before serving. You can scale the recipe. But you NEED the Gochujang sauce to really enjoy it.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Go take a picture of the hamburger helper section. Then go home and make it from scratch.

My girls love Stroganoff.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. You can do it as fancy or simple as you like. Easy one is beef cooked up with onions and garlic and some spices mixed with velveeta/cheddar/noodles. Toss it in the oven to get all melded and brown on top.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Meat muffins. Brilliant!

speedluvn likes this.
  9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Now I am hungry.. Thanks for that.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

A couple of Mexican dishwashers I worked with at Denny's used to take raw ground beef and mix it with diced peppers and onions, lemon juice and salt and pepper. I tried it, it wasn't bad.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Steak tartare is ground up beef with spices.

stk0308 likes this.
  12. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Find a good recipe for some stuffed cabbage. My grandmother used to make it but I never got around to asking her how to make it before she passed and I could kick myself in the ass for not asking.

13. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

GB tastes like GB its like potatoes, no one says man these potatoes really taste like potatoes!!! Its what you make with GB that makes the difference, the sauce, the sides, like others said stuffed things, be is bell peppers, shells, zucchini (fav) you need to stop thinking of GB as the main, find a dish the fam will like and work the protein in to it, GB can be that greasy, or fatty, or earthy, or umimi addition to any dish.

14. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

^as an example, cook off the gb with some seasoning and toss it in the fridge as an addition to anything, omelet, salad, quesadilla, wrap, sandwich, treat gb like it should, its cheap bacon, it goes on anything...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been doing that with chicken too lately - crock pot a whole chicken with some basic herbs then freeze/fridge the meat and use in whatever. Also gives you chicken stock.

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Oh god no. Can you even brown velveeta? :D
    (Making stroganoff with ground beef seems like heresy. Call it something else at least.)
    No. Which is why you should never make hamburgers out of lousy or frozen meat.
    This is a good idea. I do polish cabbage wraps with GB, rice, garlic, onion, chopped tomatoes, tons of chopped parsley and spices. Prep/assembly does take a bit of time though.

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Brown GB with onions and green pepper, drain. Added sliced potatoes. Make Campbells Tomato soup to directions, pour over everything. cover and simmer until potatoes are does, then take lid off and continue heating until soup reduces. Serve with bread and parmesan cheese.

Brown GB with onion, drain. Season with oregano, basil, thyme, paprika. Can of stewed tomatoes. Cook and add your choice, elbow macaroni, noodles, rice. Throw in starch and heat to let flavors meld. Top with your choice of cheese to melt and serve.

Also too up yours dsapsis. :D

18. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

My grandmother was Czech and Slovak and made killer stuffed cabbage as well as a ton of other staples from her country. God....I miss her cooking!

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahem, you have to read all the words before you get all persnickety - I said cheddar as well. The velveeta will brown no problem but it's just there to keep you from having to make a true beschamel which is a waste when doing hamburger helper.

Agreed - and feel the same about spuds, they have a taste and they are not all the same :D

20. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Enchiladas...tacos...meatloaf...meatballs...Sloppy Joes...burgers...chili!