Ford Transit Diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

1. Anyone on here have one?
    2. What has been your fuel economy?
    3. Any reliability issues?
    4. How much did you pay?
    TLDR below...especially Broome. :D

To get me by, I bought a 02 Ford Cargo with 130K miles for $3500 and part of me just wants to keep kicking the can down the road this way.

My original company, Active Forklift has all Box Vans..05 Isuzu Diesel, Chevy 05-06, 95 Chevy backup, they have been pretty good. Isuzu diesel has over 200K and the 05-06 Chevy has 100K. Had to replace a head gasket and turbo on the Isuzu and only emission stuff on the 05-06 Chevy. 95 Chevy has a rebuilt motor and trans.

The company I bought two years ago, Boman Forklift, has all Ford vans 00-02, I have 3 down right now with bad engines, mainly they blow spark plugs out of the heads and one of them melted all the wiring when it did that. The Fords have between 200-250K on them and talking to the old owner, have had a few transmission replacements. I'm currently rebuilding a couple of the Ford motors.

In my limited experience the Chevy's have been the best, but I like the look of the newer Ford with a Mid high roof. Then my guys can stand up in them and be more comfortable and not have to drive a big box van.

All the mechanics in box vans want to keep that style, as they like the room to work inside. All the mechanics in little vans like that style, as they are easier to maneuver. I like the fuel economy in the vans and I actually like driving the Isuzu the best, they maneuver very well with the cab over the front wheels and the turning radius is incredible.

2. Boman Forklift

Wow, I was hoping someone had tried one? Any dealership people here that can tell me your experience?

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They don't sell many of them. I've been following the Transit forum and there haven't been any real complaints. There are some tune boxes out for them already as well.

4. Boman Forklift

Thank you. Didn't even think to see if there was a forum?

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'm buddies with one of the astars reps and they all have them. He loves the van and gets low 20's mpg. His just had a recall done on the fuel system though and apparently there was a bunch of metal from a pump going belly up. I think he has 50k on it now and is about a year old.

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Rob, there's a forum for everything. Dream it and google it. Two people somewhere are taking about it.
    I'm curious to see how that new Diesel holds up also. The other engine options are pretty solid on the transit too. Hoping to pick up a used one in a few years when it's time to replace our 07 5.3 GM van.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I can't attest to the diesel portion of your question, but I was pleased with the Transit 250 Extended hightop gasser I rented for about 6 weeks back in the summer.

It actually drove really well, and it was pretty stable in windy conditions too. I would consider one for a different line of work.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Somebody on here has one. Kelly Rees? They were talking about it in the race van thread.

10. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I got one a few months ago. A 2017 medium roof 350 12 passenger wagon with the diesel. Can't comment on price since I get it through a company lease and I've got only 2000 miles on it so far. I just did a 1300 mile road trip from Detroit to VT over the holidays with the family - mileage is funny and very dependent on conditions. Heading east at 75mph with a slight tailwind I got 23 mpg. Returning west 70 mph with a 30 mph headwind it got 17, so an average of 20.5 Around town I'm consistently 21-22 mpg. My previous one was same configuration but with the ecoboost where 65 mph=19mpg, 70mph=18, 75=17, 80=16. So the diesel is 3-4 mpg better than that. No issues with reliability so far.

I miss the power of the ecoboost - you definitely have to plan ahead when passing on 2 lanes with the diesel and only 185hp but the mileage is worth it. It's quiet and smooth and there's nothing like having room for 5 passengers and two bikes, or 7 kids and 5 adults road tripping to Disney on ice all in one package.

Attached Files:

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I don't consider blowing a sparkplug out to be an engine rebuild so if that's all with the fords they sound fairly decent to me. Not GM good but better then a Chrysler product. Besides, the diesels are different. I say give it a go if thats what you really want.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I just bought two transit 2500s, but I don't have enough time with them to know anything besides that they're really nice to drive.

To be honest, I didn't even know they made a diesel.

13. Boman Forklift

Hey Guys, thank you for all the information, I've been out of town all weekend. I now have to go do some more research. Anyone know how they compare to the sprinters? I'm hopeful they are more reliable, than the German stuff.

14. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I did hours of research for a friend in the motorcycle industry months back. Every article and test I read said to go with the Ford Transit. I did not research the diesel. FWIW....

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Given the diesel is so much more expensive than the gasoline engines, I can't see how they even sell them. With the gasoline engine you get double the power for way less money. It would take hundreds of thousands of miles to make the diesel make sense. Diesel's only real appeal (at this engine capacity) is it's fuel consumption advantage. At 4mpg better than the ecoboost, you're saving ~5cents/mile. So we're talking 200k miles before we break even on the fuel cost difference? Meh, give me the one with 350hp :)

16. Boman Forklift

Thanks for the info, guys. I found a used 2016 diesel for $28K with mid height roof and middle length and the gassers seem to be at least $20K around here. I found a new 2015 Silver (not desirable for my business color) mid wheelbase, low roof for 25,900, if it were white I think I would have bought it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Resale on the diesels I've had was high enough to offset the initial higher price of the diesel every time - so the initial cost is a moot point.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  18. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

For me, range was a factor. The transit only has a 25 gal tank so 4mpg is worth another 100 miles of range. When you have to buy Canadian fuel because you can't make it across ON on a single tank its a little more than 5cents a mile

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Dealer network alone should be enough to convince you there.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Looking at hp figures and saying "gasoline is double" is kinda pointless. Sure, double the HP, at 5000rpm. Just go ask all those guys who tow with a 1/2ton pickup gasser then switch to a diesel and how more effortless and relaxing it is.

My Grand Cherokee "only" makes 240hp. But it makes 420ft/lbs of torque at 1500rpm. I can drive it all day without going past 2000rpm.
    It tows 7500lbs effortlessly compared to its constant downshifting, high rpm any time you're moving, half the mileage V8 brothers.

I'm sure the work vans are the same way.

See, i'm planning ahead to replace the GC, as its 9 years old now. I want a 4x4 SUV, thats capable offroad, can tow 7500 and gives you decent mileage. It doesnt exist anymore. Closest thing is the Ram 1500 or the new GC and i'm not giving Chrysler any more money. The merc powerplant is great, the rest of the Jeep is Chrysler garbage.

Next closest thing is the Colorado or the Canyon diesels but no used ones yet.