1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does buying a cargo trailer suck so much?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Nov 1, 2016.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Every freaking "trailer website" is just a place holder for Look/pace/diamond/patriot/interstate/bullshit trailer mill from South Georgia, with no inventory to browse or custom building tool to spec out a design. What gives? Am I doing it wrong?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

4. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Look up Intech- plenty to look at and to spend on.

5. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

xrated likes this.
  6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Hell, when I bought mine I just looked on Craigs list, found a close one and bought the damn thing. Was a really nice trailer too....for what I needed. Overhead florescent lighting and a work light on some kind of cool arm so you could swing the light around and point it in different directions, wired for 110, nice tiled floor....all at a pretty damn good price.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

www.trailernation.com for Pace.... Very happy with the Sales, Service and quality build from Pace... Go under Racecar Trailers.....

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I just found out a friend I do forklift business with, owns this company. http://www.motorsportsracetrailers.com/

He used to race boats and drag race cars. I just learned this Friday, so I don't know if there is any discount off, I can help you get. Poke around and get back with me. I can either ask or give him your number?

9. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Shopping for a trailer is a lot like shopping for a mattress.

One of which you can buy used.

I got a killer enclosed trailer off Craigslist for $3500. If you want cheap buy used.

Our 34ft car hauler was brand new at $19,000 but had everything we wanted. There are some seriously shady and fly by night operations out there so use prudence when shopping new. The first place took our custom order and money then popped smoke, thankfully it's order on AMEX.

Used is what you see is what you get. My 2c.

10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

i have a 06 pace 6x12 v-nose

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I called the bullshit trailer mill, told them what I wanted and picked it up after they built it.

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I helped my dad navigate this minefield this summer. I've been using my 15 year old Wells Cargo 6x12 forever. I considered upgrading, but after seeing some of the build quality that was available, I decided to stick with what I've got.

For my Dad's trailer, I insisted we look at Wells or Pace. Wells quality is not what it was 10 years ago, but it still beats the heck out of your average GA trailer.

Honestly it depends what you want it for. Most of us will never put enough miles on these things to justify the cost of the top of the line stuff. For your average 200 mile haul once a month, almost any of these turds will do.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I've got a 6x12 that's going up for sale in the next few days.
    Wells Cargo is the maker. It's about 7 or 8 years old.
    Single axle. Rear doors open out (not a ramp) and a side door on the right.
    2 motorcycle chocks bolted in the floor. Small cabinet up front.
    Wood paneled & has a dome light.

It's in Oregon, so maybe a bit far.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

What's wrong with the GA trailers?

They're all shit in some way and y'all act like getting a enclosed trailer fixed is some huge hassle. There is only so many things to go wrong on one of these...

Now if we're taking toy haulers that's a different thing.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've never noticed any substantial difference in build quality in any of the known enclosed trailer brands.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

should use the proper adjectives...lol. South GA trailer mills = cheap & inexpensive Like smokesignal said... you can order to YOUR specs & not have to deal with a middleperson.
    Dealers buy what sells. Id say very few customers are motorsports enthusiasts.

Id rather chance eating an apple given out at Halloween then deal with sorting though "used" trailer ads. Sometimes its "worth" a look... but most times its not.

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I'm waiting on a call to tell me when my new trailer is ready to pickup. My old 24' was getting pretty long in the tooth, and was going to need some serious work in the near future (frame rust, aluminum skin needing replaced before too long). I was also interested in getting something just slightly larger. Sold it to a buddy who I showed every issue to at a fair price. He is very happy with it. After a bunch of research, I ordered a new United 26' UXT built to my specs. Looked at United, Pace, Wells, Diamond, US Cargo, Neo, Look, and a whole heck of a lot of other Georgia type manufacturers. When all was said and done, there was a 21% price range between the absolute cheapest POS and the United - specs being roughly similar though honestly the quality of the build was NOT similar.

Looked for used trailers and looked at new trailers. Problem was that a good quality used trailer in very nice shape wasn't much cheaper than buying new and it was always a bit of a compromise. Didn't want to just buy another trailer that would need the same work that my old one did in 2 yrs.

Anybody saying there aren't differences between the brands hasn't looked too hard. I looked at some of the "Georgia" manufactured brands. They certainly serve a purpose, but my last trailer was a Classic Dominator ('93) and was built quite well. I bought it used 10 years ago. Saw it advertised on CL, called within an hour of the ad going up, and drove 3 hours that night to get it. "Good" used ones priced right go VERY quickly - especially in the popular sizes and configurations. The Georgia trailers sometimes had gaps between the floor and skin where you could see the ground from inside - particular in the front of V-Nose models. I crawled underneath one and the welds were ridiculously bad - often with only a few tacks keeping frame pieces attached to each other. The skin was often thinner than .030. There are differences in the diameter - and even the construction - of the frame. The one I bought has an 8" I-Beam main frame, rather than a 6" tube frame - because that tube can capture moisture and rust from the inside (like my old one did). Are these things worth the extra money for you? All depends on your needs. My old Classic is right now 24 years old and still functional - with me having done almost nothing to it. The guy who bought it is going to spend a little time and effort, and it'll still be going strong for another 10 years.

18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Found mine on craigslist. Construction contractor selling trailers on the side. Every trailer dealer I found in WI didnt have prices and all their reply to emails on prices was come on in and we'll talk.

19. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

not sure where your at Legend trailer built here in Michigan are top notch...